Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Apparently Koni Oranges and 275/40 on OEM wheels doesn't work

So, you might have seen my brothers post earlier as well, I decided after his issues to get two of my new Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires mounted to a spare set of OEM 20x9s and test fit them.

Just so you guys know, my car has -2.1 camber in the front, so I honestly wasn't really expecting them to fit in regards to the strut tube. However I discovered they do clear and seemingly don't rub there, but they do rub on the Spring perch under what I believe is heavy braking.

I've got a couple pics to show you guys where it's rubbing and to show the static clearance.

The photos with the tires on are with the weight on the car and the wheel cut all the way left. I don't think the clearance really changes there, but I know turning the wheel might decrease clearance slightly.

I did send a question to Koni to see what they think of this because I don't think it would happen with the OEM struts.

Unfortunately the spring is sitting in that pocket where the tire rubs, so i'm not sure grinding there would be wise. I do have some 5mm spacers on the way to see if they will allow the clearance needed, it might be just enough.
Attached Images

1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
Destructo09

Also, something that just came to mind, even my 245/45R20s are rubbing on the rubber nipple from the spring cushion. The M/Ts that little rubber nipple fits right into the void space in the tread. So I know the M/Ts didn't rub that, the Nitto Invos did, which tells me clearance is different with these struts.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #3
Destructo09

I've installed some 5mm spacers and repainted the rubbed off part to verify if that helps at all. It's still really close.

This time I took a tape measure to the Koni and OEM strut, measure in the same place multiple times I see what looks to be about a 5mm difference between the two. The Koni seems to be about 5mm shorter from spring perch to top clevice bolt. This would be enough to cause what used to clear, not to clear anymore. Unfortunately it also means a small spacer might not even help.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI
Old 03-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
Destructo09

The good news is that a 5mm spacer up front seems to have helped alleviate the rubbing just a bit. I still noticed some scratches on the strut but no major paint removal, which i'm fine with.

Downside is I have about 7 full turns of my lug nuts with the spacer, so to be safe i'll probably track down some longer studs. Or, buy a couple of the reproduction 20x9s discount tire sells which have a +35 offset.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Square tire/wheel setup
K&N Typhoon CAI