Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Kylegrantham

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Got more clarification today from a buddy who used to work at the GM dealership here in town and has worked on the problem in the past. He said it's common on the V6 models in cylinder 1 and 3, and on the V8 models to also show up in cylinder 8. It's a known issue with the gaskets that usually allow oil to get into the cylinder and burn from one side causing carbon build up in the cylinder and around the gasket. That in time allows coolant to seep in from the opposite side and cause the misfire.

Normally the Camaro is balanced for a 13:1 mixture of oxygen to fuel in each cylinder. If coolant gets in, which has a high percentage of water, that throws off the ratio and causes the misfire since water obviously doesn't burn. It also takes a lot of high temperature, long runs, to get that water out of the cylinder. If enough gets in repeatedly then serious issues develop in the cylinder that can lead to total engine replacement. If caught early, though, it's as simple as cleaning out the build up and replacing the head gasket.

He said normally it's just the one bad gasket that causes the issue, but each time he worked on the repair they went ahead and replaced them all.

So guys, I'd recommend getting your rides in to the dealer ASAP, especially if they're under warranty, and getting this taken care of before you're looking at a full engine replacement.

2012 Camaro 2LT RS, County Road 408, 20 miles south of Casper, Wyoming
Kylegrantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
Wow! I'm going to do that!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Kylegrantham

Good luck Chris, let us know how it comes out. Hoping for the best.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegrantham View Post
Thanks for the welcome but I've got bad news Chris, I have coolant leaking into cylinder #3 . I just got the word from our local dealership.

It's warranty work, but they'll be keeping it until at least Wednesday while they get parts to fix it. There's no recall on this issue of yet, but apparently this is a common enough occurrence that they had a bulletin in their system about it.

Something is wrong with gasket that allows carbon build up to let coolant into the cylinders...

I immediately questioned whether this was something I'm going to see a recurring problem with and was told that once they make this repair it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Sounds an awful lot like a gasket needs to be recalled to me.

The worst part, I'm driving this 2,000 miles on Thursday. I have to pray this is fixed and fixed right.

Please let us know if your dealership was able to address all of your concerns promptly.

We certainly apologize for any inconveniences.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
zero260asap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have been having this problem lately when it's cold out. I start my 2010 1ss in the morning and it misfires the car shakes, and the CEL blinks for about 20 seconds and the service stabilitrac lights come on... after about 30 seconds the idle comes down and it runs fine and all the lights go off... I don't like this at all im going to the dealer as soon as i can.
zero260asap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
iCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero260asap View Post
I have been having this problem lately when it's cold out. I start my 2010 1ss in the morning and it misfires the car shakes, and the CEL blinks for about 20 seconds and the service stabilitrac lights come on... after about 30 seconds the idle comes down and it runs fine and all the lights go off... I don't like this at all im going to the dealer as soon as i can.
Welcome to the forum! Please keep us up to date on what your dealer says.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero260asap View Post

We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you are currently experiencing. I would suggest going to the dealership as well for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know the outcome.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Kylegrantham

Well guys I have more horrible news.

They put the engine back together, test drove it, and more warnings came up that I now have a slack timing belt. How on Earth have I put 26,000 miles on this car and it's only when the engine is completely disassembled and reassembled that this issue comes about, you might ask? I asked the same thing and was assured I'm pretty much an idiot and to not worry about it again.

I'm so sick of the customer service at our dealership.

I finally got to the point I got the general manager on the phone and what he told me takes the cake.

I said, "This is ridiculous, you've had this for a week, you've known I was planning to move today, now you tell me there's something else wrong and my plans are completely thrown off. What's going to break when you fix this?"

He replied, "Well this should take care of it, but this is why cars have warranties. GM doesn't guarantee every car comes off the assembly line perfect."

Talk about brand confidence right there.

But wait, it gets better.

Yesterday we had a high of 45, clear blue skies to start our 2,000 mile drive. Today, high of 17, 3-6 inches of snow expected with 25mph+ winds. We all know how well Camaros do in snow. Not to mention our entire apartment was loaded onto a truck yesterday and we had to find somewhere to stay in Casper for the night. More if it turns out we're snowed in now.

Last edited by Kylegrantham; 01-11-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #23
iCamaro

I would ask for a brand new engine, no more no less. Don't pick up the car and call GM!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
fergie1197

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Hi guys, I just took my car in the other day, I had several isues., tire, air conditioner, and the stability. The dealership said they found an update for PCM..and this is what caused the stability trac issue and engine to run rough..it seems to run better but we had 60 degree weather here also ..so I will see what happens when the temp drops..Good luck guys..
Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Anyone have the service bulletin number?

My '12 2LS has been in the shop twice for misfires in cylinders 2 and 4.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Kylegrantham

If I had time for a new engine, I'd have taken the hard stance, but I couldn't wait for it. Not with a new job to start.

We made the trip safely to the east coast, all 2,100 miles of it through snow and absolutely pouring rain. It's amazing what a day late resulted in for travel.

I am, though, hearing a "whoomp, whoomp, whoomp," sounds that gets fast and slower as I accelerate and decelerate now that wasn't there before all the repairs. It doesn't sound like its coming from under the hood though, like maybe it's the tires? They're all balanced, I checked that. I can't imagine it would be the hubs when I noticed it at under 27,000 miles.

It is time to get new tires, but I can't imagine tread wear would do it.

Any thoughts guys? I've heard the timing belt could make a similar sound but the car runs fine and I don't feel any vibrations or anything or get a light. They did completely take the engine apart so it does have me worried. But again, we did drive 2,100 miles with no issues.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
Kylegrantham

I think the sound is just the tires. Looking at them, they're getting into the replacement zone on wear, and not being able to rotate them has probably taken them down a bit faster.

So, outside of the headache of the wait, looks like they knocked that repair out pretty satisfactory.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
BlackDynamite2010

Drives: 2010 Ls
I am having sort of the same problem. I have had my car a little over a month. about a week in, my check engine light came on, saying service stablility tract,m except my car does not act weird at all, the light seems to randomly come on and off. I took it in and they told me they couldnt find anything wrong, except when they shook the key around in the ignition a bit, the light would come on and off. They suggested taking everything off the key ring and only have the key to the car. it seemed to fix the problem...for a week and a half, it is coming on again. Also for 3 mornings in a row when I started it up to go to work, the speedometor was at zero, and would kick in about 2 miles down the road. Related problems? Any possibility this could be related to the cold? Or just something with the wiring?

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
BlackDynamite2010 is offline   Reply With Quote