Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
Lighter than OEM brake rotors??

Is there any other options besides Racing Brake to find a lighter brake rotor.
I looked at R1comcepts and they are basically the same or at most 1 lb less than factory?

Racing brake saves about 5.5lbs per front, and 6lbs per rear.
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
RB is the only one worth doing. If a one piece claims to be lighter where do you think the material came from? The wear surface. So you just bought a cheaper rotor that will warp or wear out faster.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
Is there any other options besides Racing Brake to find a lighter brake rotor.
I looked at R1comcepts and they are basically the same or at most 1 lb less than factory?

Racing brake saves about 5.5lbs per front, and 6lbs per rear.
I know Wilwood makes rotors that are decently light - I could have sworn a member had them on his car, but will have to look for it.

Then I think Granatelli makes rotors - but I personally wouldn't buy anything from them. Well anything that you need to rely on anyway.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
RacingBrake is the only one I found with a properly built rotor. DBA are heavier Ganetelli are heavier.

To be honest there is probably other brands out there....but I found racingbrake met the guy who holds the patents and designed them and never looked back
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
To get much lighter than stock you have to go to a two piece rotor like the RacingBrake rotors. The weight reduction is just one of several advantages that the RacingBrake rotors have over others though.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294470

this thread turned into a pretty good read for brakes in general.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
slowfofo

Drives: slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I know Wilwood makes rotors that are decently light - I could have sworn a member had them on his car, but will have to look for it.

Then I think Granatelli makes rotors - but I personally wouldn't buy anything from them. Well anything that you need to rely on anyway.
I purchased the Granateeli rotors this morning and I am driving there to pick them up. I have not looked up the stock weights but Granateli told me the fronts weigh 24.5 and the rears are 23.9. I asked why their brakes were better than stock and they said, well they are stock, Stock Brembo cores that are machined with slots and holes or dimples. The benefit stems from the slots and dimples

Anyway I paid $425.00 and could not pass up the deal. I will weigh them myself before i install them to confirm. Wilwoods were quoted to me at $4557 front and rear in Red or Black

Quote:
Tried to PM you but it would not work. Are you another victum of GMS or just following that other thread. I tend to want to hear from the real customers not the hear-say

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294470

this thread turned into a pretty good read for brakes in general.
Well I just read this and it makes a lot of sence if you save 23lbs all around but it was hard to beat the $420 price for all 4. Plus on the surface their website does not really make it easy to see the 2010-2013 stuff for the camaro. Love the 23 save though - thats huge
slowfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfofo View Post
I purchased the Granateeli rotors this morning and I am driving there to pick them up. I have not looked up the stock weights but Granateli told me the fronts weigh 24.5 and the rears are 23.9. I asked why their brakes were better than stock and they said, well they are stock, Stock Brembo cores that are machined with slots and holes or dimples. The benefit stems from the slots and dimples

Anyway I paid $425.00 and could not pass up the deal. I will weigh them myself before i install them to confirm.
So you paid $425 for used OEM rotors that Granatelli resurfaced, drilled, and slotted? If you're happy about that that's all that matters. Personally I wouldn't trust a rotor that was drilled after-the-fact, way too big of a chance of it cracking because of it. That and the fact that they are used rotors is a little iffy already - I mean who knows how much life is left on them, they've already been resurfaced once. Can't imagine getting much life out of them to be honest.

Wilwoods were quoted to me at $4557 front and rear in Red or Black
If they gave you color options then that quote includes Wilwoods 6 piston calipers, so it's not just the rotors.

Tried to PM you but it would not work. Are you another victum of GMS or just following that other thread. I tend to want to hear from the real customers not the hear-say
I have space in my Inbox, so don't know why it wouldn't let you PM me - but I bought Granatelli's wires on the claim (and supposed proof) that they increased hp - funny how convincing a few dyno graphs can be. They were absolutely complete junk - barely lasted 3 months before falling apart on me. I didn't bother to try and get a refund, just cut my losses.

Well I just read this and it makes a lot of sence if you save 23lbs all around but it was hard to beat the $420 price for all 4. Plus on the surface their website does not really make it easy to see the 2010-2013 stuff for the camaro. Love the 23 save though - thats huge
See comments in red.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
So you paid $425 for used OEM rotors that Granatelli resurfaced, drilled, and slotted? If you're happy about that that's all that matters. Personally I wouldn't trust a rotor that was drilled after-the-fact, way too big of a chance of it cracking because of it. That and the fact that they are used rotors is a little iffy already - I mean who knows how much life is left on them, they've already been resurfaced once. Can't imagine getting much life out of them to be honest.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that they are used/resurfaced rotors. Can you please let me know where you found this information? Also they are not drilled, they are dimpled which has much less of a chance of cracking than drilled rotors.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
slowfofo

I was told they were brand new Brembo blanks not used returns - perhaps I misspoke if I lead anyone to understand otherwise - Again I am going there shortly and will confirm. They said they offered them Drilled, Slotted, Dimpled or any combination otherwise. I asked about cracking and they said LIFETIME warranty against cracking and warping. What more can I say - I will let you all know

$4557 was the whole package - here is there link http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...d-1435-42.html

One place I wrote $425 and then I wrote 4420 - it was $425.00
Old 05-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
slowfofo

Quote:
See comments in red.
I hear ya on the wires. There is so much great press on them it’s hard to argue with the results. Out here lot of car club guys swear by them Ford, Chevy and Mopar. Why throw them away when they have a lifetime warranty seems odd.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
slowfofo

Quote:
STIG
Are you a peace Officer? Why would you use such a nice car as a shield. Use the beater they assign you
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
KlugSS

Quote:
See comments in red.

Speaking of GMS Brake Rotors, this is straight from Racing Brakes website.

Quote:
Remarks:

Rotors with drilled holes should only be used for street driving, as these rotors may tend to crack under repeated hard braking or in track racing. When choosing a drilled rotor, be sure that you do NOT choose a rotor that was drilled from an aftermarket blank (like many rotors on the market), as these rotors will not be balanced. All RacingBrake rotors are dynamically balanced as their last step, after slotting and/or drilling to ensure even distribution of mass.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfofo View Post
I was told they were brand new Brembo blanks not used returns - perhaps I misspoke if I lead anyone to understand otherwise - Again I am going there shortly and will confirm. They said they offered them Drilled, Slotted, Dimpled or any combination otherwise. I asked about cracking and they said LIFETIME warranty against cracking and warping. What more can I say - I will let you all know

$4557 was the whole package - here is there link http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...d-1435-42.html

One place I wrote $425 and then I wrote 4420 - it was $425.00
The MSRP for each OEM front rotor is $132, and each rear is $174 (LINK to GM Parts House)
So, saying Granatelli paid the "Online Price," that's $397.20 - NOT including the shipping cost to get them to their shop. Considering it cost me $60 to get my Racing Brake rotors shipped to me, and OEM rotors are heavier, they probably spent at least $460 getting these "new" rotors to their shop.

They then are going to drill/slot them, give them a life time warranty, and take off $40 from what they're charging you.

In all seriousness - you really think they're "new" rotors?