Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Claybar Cleaner and Extender

Clay Bar works by removing bonded contaminants that have attached to the paint’s surface and cannot be removed by washing alone. The contaminants become embedded into the face of the clay. So what do we do? We fold the dirty clay on itself, to expose fresh, clean clay. Of course the contaminants are still in the clay, only not on the surface. Eventually the clay becomes loaded with so much contamination and grit that it can not be folded anymore and it must be replaced.

Blackfire Claybar Cleaner and Extender is your solution to the premature failure and short life cycle of clay bars. Simply spray the face of the clay with the clean and work into the face with your thumbs.

Then dunk the clay into a bucket of water or rinse with a hose to remove 90% or more of the dirt that you where going to fold backing into the clay.

By cleaning the clay bar frequently, you can dramatically reduce the build up of grit inside the clay and greatly extend its life.

Before, the clay is very dirty. Before we would accept this and fold the grime onto itself and keep going. All of this gunk would be pushed into the clay.

After spraying with Blackfire Claybar Cleaner and Exender and massaging with my thumbs, then dunking in a bucket.

Almost 100% clean, so I gave it another spray of cleaner, let it dwell for 10 seconds, then masaged again and rinsed in the bucket. Then I kneeded the clay and prepared to keep going.

www.ProperAutoCare.com
800-628-7596
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
can enyone use clay? i've herd bad storys.then some swear by it.i'd like to try but not shur how it works.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Anyone can use clay, the secret to not scratching your paint is to constantly fold it over so your not dragging the dirt across the paint. If used properly clay is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

were can i find dir on proper clay use.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
I think the junkman has a vid on youtube.
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanc96 View Post
I think the junkman has a vid on youtube.
Junkman's vids rock. You should watch his series. Here's the clay bar video:

Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

man now i feal like crap. i've never clay bar my car.I have washed it about 3 dozen times and i hope that i havent distroide my finish. i'm def doing this when he comes out of storeg.:fa cepalm:
Old 01-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
i did this for the first time last week and it makes your car feel like glass.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
bzzzz

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAMARO
Clay bars aren't supposed to be used over and over are they? Rather than buy something to clean it, just throw it away and get a new one!?
bzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzzz View Post
Clay bars aren't supposed to be used over and over are they? Rather than buy something to clean it, just throw it away and get a new one!?
+1
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Well I used the Turtle Ice Clay bar.

A total waste of Money and can harm metallic paints.

It got stuck on my Camaro body and formed a white haze that nearly got me a heart attack .

Luckly I didnt use a lot of that crazy liquid, and get it washed with plenty of water and rubbing several times until it left the paint.

I will never do this to my Camaro again, or my baby will leave me for good .

Instead I do recommend Ice car wash. It is simple, gentle soap that will not even leave water marks on the body or harm any previous polish or wax applications.

I dont need deep cleaning anymore and learned my lesson well.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Jim D.

Drives: Camaro
Especially now that Mothers started putting two full-size 80 gm bars of clay in their California Gold Clay Bar kits, it makes a product like a clay bar extender seem silly.

Mothers clay has never let me down.
Jim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Well I used the Turtle Ice Clay bar.

A total waste of Money and can harm metallic paints.

It got stuck on my Camaro body and formed a white haze that nearly got me a heart attack .

Luckly I didnt use a lot of that crazy liquid, and get it washed with plenty of water and rubbing several times until it left the paint.

I will never do this to my Camaro again, or my baby will leave me for good .

Instead I do recommend Ice car wash. It is simple, gentle soap that will not even leave water marks on the body or harm any previous polish or wax applications.

I dont need deep cleaning anymore and learned my lesson well.
You gotta wash the car after it hazes over. I used to used this but it was a pain in the ass having to basically wash twice. The paint looks real nice after but not for that amount of time.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Detailing clay bars help remove contaminants embedded in your cars paint.

Try this test. Wash and dry your vehicle.
Place your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over your car's paint.
It should be smooth-as-glass. If the paint has a rough, gritty or pebble-like feel, you have some type of contamination on the paint.

Polishing will not remove this contamination.
Remove paint contamination using one a clay bar prior to polishing, sealing or waxing.

Here's some more information on claying:

Remove paint contamination,
overspray and industrial fallout.

What is paint contamination?

Most paint contamination consists of tiny metallic particles from brake pad linings and rail dust created from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks. These hot metallic particles fill the air on highways and near railroad tracks where they ultimately land on your car's finish, burning through any wax or sealant coating and embedding themselves in the top paint or clear coat layer. They can be felt as a "rough or gritty" texture on the paint's finish. Less severe paint contamination consists of overspray, tree sap mist and industrial pollution. If left untreated, this contamination can cause tiny rust spots in your car's finish.

This contamination can not be removed by washing, waxing and/or polishing.

Stage 1:

Metal shavings land on the paint's surface

Stage 2:
Shavings start to oxidize.

Stage 3:
Rust forms in the paint.

Actual photo of rust spots from paint contamination.

Where does it come from?

There are three major causes of paint contamination:

1. Rail dust - produced from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks. Over 70% of new vehicles are shipped by rail. Rail dust can contaminate a new car's finish before it even reaches the dealership. Anytime a vehicle is parked or travels near a railroad it is subject to rail dust contamination.

2. Brake dust - particles produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the rotor. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of bare metal into the air and on the highway where it collects on passing vehicles.

3. Industrial fallout - another word for pollution, industrial fallout is a byproduct of our modern industrial age.

Testing for paint contamination:

After washing and drying your vehicle, put your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and lightly run your fingertips over the paint's surface. It should be as smooth as glass. If your car's surface has a rough, gritty or pebble-like texture, it indicates the presence of paint contamination. This should be removed with a clay bar before applying a polish or wax.

How To Remove Overspray & Paint Contamination
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Removing Paint Contamination:

There is no wax, natural or synthetic, or any chemical treatment that can prevent or protect against this contamination. Compounding with an abrasive polish may remove paint contamination but it can only be performed a few times before removing too much of the top, clear coat finish.

The best solution, a special clay bar, was developed in Japan nearly five years ago. This clay safely removes rail dust and industrial fallout by "pulling" it off the surface. It does not "cut" or perform any abrasive action normally associated with polishing or compounding

How to use clay bars:

Clay bars should always be used on freshly washed, clean surfaces. Dirt on the surface could cause scratches.

Caution: Use only as directed and with an approved lubricant such as Blackfire Clay Lubricant to reduce friction between the PolyClay and the vehicle's surface.

Work on areas of about three square feet. Lightly mist the surface with the lubricant. Glide the clay bar across the lubricated area until finish is smooth and bar slides freely. When used as directed, contaminants can be removed from the surface without causing scratches. When the bar glides freely, wipe the surface with a clean dry towel and continue in sections until the entire vehicle is complete.

As the bar becomes soiled, you can pull, stretch and refold it to expose a new, clean side but I prefer to use a clay cleaner and remove the embedded contamination. Using a clay cleaner like BLACKFIRE Clay Cleaner and Extender keeps clay bars cleaner and greatly extends their life. When the bar does becomes totally soiled (dark colored) discard it. I like to cut the 8 oz. bar in half. A single 4 oz. bar should clean at least 7 to 10 cars.

**************Do not use a bar dropped on the ground**********************

After claying, the surface should be as smooth as glass. Remove any remaining smudges with a clean dry microfiber towel. Mist the surface with the lubricant if necessary to make the final wipe down easy.

Tech Note:
Clay bars will not remove scratches, swirls, dull, oxidized paint or restore surface gloss. This is accomplished by polishing the surface after claying. Polishing alone will not remove paint contamination. Clay Bars will not remove paint or the clear coat finish. It can be used as often as necessary to keep the surface free of contamination and smooth.

Last edited by Angelo@Autopia; 02-01-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote