Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Question The more I think of this, the more I'm thinkin it won't work

I had an idea regarding my non RS headlights. I really like the RS and I'm trying to think of a way to get a similar look without paying the high cost of outright purchasing then. I'm already working on getting halos, but want the black out look that the RS inner assembly has...I was pondering having them painted satin black, a friend suggested painting them IOM. But here is what I'm thinking.

The more I look at the RS assembly I realized it looks as though they have a headlight projector..where as the non RS uses reflection to disperse the light from the bulb. Am I right or wrong here..not 100% certain. I'm thinking if one were to paint a non RS inner assembly it would disrupt the lights reflection and the headlight would not illuminate properly. Any thoughts, input, advice? Am I completely off base here? Would it work? I would just LOVE to be wrong, so please tell me if i am!

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
I think that if you paint it my go up in flames [the paint there is] ,the inner reflector does get very hot very quick
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
I think that if you paint it my go up in flames [the paint there is] ,the inner reflector does get very hot very quick
Ewww.. Don't want that! You think it would do that even if you were to use a high heat paint...like what is used for painting engine parts?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
SSinatra Andretti
2$$

Drives: 94 ss, 2008 gxp, soon to be2011 2ss
+1
Old 06-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Mr.CamaroRS

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro R.S.
you would probably have to buy the whole headlight assembly
Mr.CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Pumpkin1LT

I'd rather shell out $1000+ for a performance mod... I'll stick with my non RS if that's the case! Better things to be had for that price!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
Mr.CamaroRS

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro R.S.
oh ya headers,exhaust, intake, throttle body, and many more parts or you can see if anybody has replaced theirs or you can call keystone or one of the warehouses here in san antonio to see if they got anything
Mr.CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Pumpkin1LT

Bump for new input?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
pretty sure if you painted the reflectors black your headlights would be useless.. as far as I know the light shines back onto the reflectors which projects the beam forward. The only thing you might be able to do is tint the lenses

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
pretty sure if you painted the reflectors black your headlights would be useless.. as far as I know the light shines back onto the reflectors which projects the beam forward. The only thing you might be able to do is tint the lenses
Mmmm.. That's what I thought. Thanks Scrappy.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Have you looked into adding HID and Halos from AAC?

I didn't really want Halos but I did want HID so I spent $260 to have a Bi-Xenon kit sent to me. I installed it in about 30 min or so and the best thing is that I can easily put it back to stock in about that same amount of time.

I ended up with the 6000k lights and I absolulty love them. Love the HID and would hate to go back (but I can if I need).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=install

Now...Halos will be a bit more of a commitment in both price and parts since you'll have to open up the headlight housing in order to put them in. It's probably not going to be as easy to go back to stock after installing them.

I would 100% recommend that you at least go to HID. You can always add the Halos later if you decide. Trust me....you will LOVE the HID.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Pumpkin, keep in mind the real purpose of headlights; for you to be able to see things in front of you at night while driving. Don't compromise your safety, and maybe the safety of someone else by doing anything to the lights just for looks. If you really want the RS lights, then spend the money to do it right. Imagine how you'd feel if you hit somebody because you didn't see them in time to stop because of a cosmetic mod you made to your lights. Do it right; it's worth it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Pumpkin1LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Pumpkin, keep in mind the real purpose of headlights; for you to be able to see things in front of you at night while driving. Don't compromise your safety, and maybe the safety of someone else by doing anything to the lights just for looks. If you really want the RS lights, then spend the money to do it right. Imagine how you'd feel if you hit somebody because you didn't see them in time to stop because of a cosmetic mod you made to your lights. Do it right; it's worth it.
Good point! I hope you read that I don't what to do this if it does infact compromise the headlight reflection. Turns out that it does! I have the 6K bulbs which gives me a nice white versus the yellow and i am in the process of ordering some dual shift White/Amber Halos...and I'll stick with that...and love it I'm sure! Thanks guys for the input!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
clg_98ta

I don't really care for the halos either (well I don't mind them but I don't think they are worth the $1200). But I found I didn't like the yellowish color of the halogens, plus I was having trouble reading street signs at night. I went with the Xenon HOD bulbs for under $40. They are bright white (5500 color temp) and project quite a bit farther than the OEM halogens. So far, I'm very happy with them.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote