Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Whale Wars

Has anybody watched this show? I think the only people dumber than the people on that ship are the people that fund their "campaigns". It's a level of stupidity that one can't even explain.. you have to see it for yourself.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
I dont know how what they do can be legal.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Its in international waters. Anything pretty much goes there.

As far as stupid, I dont know what side is the dumb one. The whalers who think they are doing scientific research to make sure they survive or the other crew who thinks that they will stop it.

I do think that harvesting whales is a very old tradition that needs to stop unless its in VERY low numbers.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
i haven't watched an episode, but i've seen ads, that's the show with the sea shepherd group, right?

[slightly off topic seal rant]
i'm from the canadian province (Newfoundland/Labrador) where the environmental groups like to come along and raise hell about the seal hunt. folks in the U.S. might remember the interview larry king did with paul mccartney/heather mills, that was with our Premier.
i'll just say that i've got my own, slightly violent, opinions about what needs to be done about them. sure i believe they're entitled to their own opinion, but IMO they take it just a little *cough * waaayyyy *cough* too far. there was a tragedy out on the ice i few years back where a sealer was killed, and the group made a few comments that were pretty D*mn cold, and close to put the province in outrage. is the seal hunt pretty? no. show me mammal hunting that is pretty. [/slightly off topic rant]

[on topic whale rant]
do i believe the whale population is in danger? yes. but i don't believe these groups go about it in the right ways. if you want to change things, use the powers that democracy gives you. throw facts to the public endlessly, and truthful facts at that, don't twist them. i.e. when you bump into a Canadian Coast Guard vessel, don't post videos called "CCG Vessel rams and attempts to sink us!!", and when the coast guard says "back off", you back off. you don't tell the coast guard "screw you! you back off!".

growing up in that province has obviously forged some of these strong opinions of mine, i'm not going to deny that.
I respect the opinions that environmentalists have, all the power to them to seek change, that's their right. but it's these organizations that IMO cross the line that i don't respect.

sigh. this is one of those topics that irks me. :(

edit:
Quote:
I do think that harvesting whales is a very old tradition that needs to stop unless its in VERY low numbers.
i can agree with that
sure, continue whaling, but regulate it and keep it reasonable.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Dumbass eco-nuts.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #6
sigma_1966
My baby is here

Drives: SIM 2LT
I have watched it. The Captain was kicked out of Greenpeace for his extremism. Its actually an interesting show but agreed who is dumber the japanese for saying its in the name of research or these "Volunteers" who do what they do.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
THey almost pulled a Titanic. The whale wars people are out there, but I like the symbol they use. Anyone watch deadliest catch? The time bandit has a pretty sick logo as well. You can kind of see the Time Bandits logo behind Capt. Jonathan Hillstrand. Now those guys are freaking nuts!
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
I'm no eco-nut but I dont think what either side is doing is stupid...both of them found a loophole in the justice system and is using it to their advantage. both are doing something wrong and no one can stop them. If the japs actually would say they are whaleing and not for research I would side with them. but since they are lying ill side with the sea shepherd
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Drives: Chrysler Aspen Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma_1966 View Post
I have watched it. The Captain was kicked out of Greenpeace for his extremism. Its actually an interesting show but agreed who is dumber the japanese for saying its in the name of research or these "Volunteers" who do what they do.
A pox on both of their houses.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
GLBL WMR
Booya

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
I'm no eco-nut but I dont think what either side is doing is stupid...both of them found a loophole in the justice system and is using it to their advantage. both are doing something wrong and no one can stop them. If the japs actually would say they are whaleing and not for research I would side with them. but since they are lying ill side with the sea shepherd
I agree that its BS how the japanese claim what they're doing is "research" and that the Sea Shepard is trying to do the right thing, but the crew on that ship are total morons and don't have a clue as to what they are doing. In the few episodes I've seen, they've done the following:

-flipped a smaller boat while attempting to launch it, almost killing 3 crew
-successfully launched the same smaller boat to pursue a whaling vessel and went in the complete opposite direction because they didn't know how to use the navigation equipment
-consistently try their luck in ice fields in a ship with NO reinforcement in the hull
-the first mate couldn't relate degrees to N/S/E/W
-they tried to bind a whaling vessel's prop with a line

These people are terrorists, plain and simple. Very stupid terrorists.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
-the first mate couldn't relate degrees to N/S/E/W
No joke. That guy is an idiot plain and simple. As a FIRST MATE you need to kind of learn how to do that. Pretty pitiful.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote