Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #29
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAkrish View Post
No one knows dude!!! I am sick of turning the auto knob and then turning it back at night. That is not auto head lights. I am going to try the hot wire formthe parking lights and wire it over to the headlights. That way they should only come on at night.
+1. there has to be an easy way to disable non rs running lights
don't want to burn my aftermarket HID's out too soon
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #30
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Check and see if you have a fuse labeled "DRL" in your under-hood fuse block and pull it out. The headlights should still work normally.

What happens after that is up to your driving, but you shouldn't be shining in the daytime.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #31
louis1106

Drives: 2010 synergy 1LT camaro
DRL if you pull the DRL fuse out of the fuse box under the hood that will disable them and that works on any gm car truck or suv
louis1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #32
louis1106

Drives: 2010 synergy 1LT camaro
and trust me it will work and your headlights will only come on if you turn them also i noticed on some gm's hat by pulling that fuse you might loose you door chime and when u unlock the car at night and the lights come on you may loose that too but not all cars
louis1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #33
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
I took my head light switch apart and cut the spring that positions the switch to the auto position. This proceedure is tricky since the internals are delicate, but it can be done.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #34
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Think and think hard......... What were the last 5 cars you saw this morning with DRL's? Make? Model? Color?

That's right...... You don's even remember seeing DRL's this morning, and you probably passed 20 cars....

With the exception of dusk and dawn time frames...... or if it is a Camaro or another car that gets your attention...... No one sees DRL's.

Case and point... Daytime photo:

DRL's on... All you see is chrome, you have to look hard to see the lights on.

And my question to the person that mentioned Head on Accidents.... Do you really feel that unsafe during the day with no DRL's on? I know I pass at least 100 older model vehicles to and from work every day..... I cant remember the last Head on accident i saw.... Actually i suppose the streets should be littered with head on accidents due to older model vehicles with out DRL's?

The OP asked a legitimate question... Why all the smart-assery?
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #35
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
hello, this takes a little work, take the positive wire from the drl, run directly to power source , (fuse) take the ground wire and run it into the car to a toggle switch, now you control when you want them on, or you can get a wireless remote from AAC and run ground wire to wireless remote and now you can control drl with remote. yes i takes a little work, but i love mine. you can also search for fieldgoals wireless harness, this is what im using. he's here in the forum.

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...ledremote.aspx

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99467
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #36
nealdiwes

Drives: 2011 camaro ls
I KNOW ONCE YOU START THE CAR IF YOU WOULD TURN YOUR HEADLIGHT SWITCH KNOB TO THE LEFT IT TURNS YOUR HEADLIGHTS OFF UNTIL YOU SHUT THE CAR OFF. ONCE YOU START IT UP AGAIN YOU WOULD HAVE TO TURN YOUR HEADLIGHT KNOB SWITCH TO THE LEFT AGAIN TO TURN THE HEADLIGHTS OFF AGAIN.
nealdiwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #37
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Could you not tune it out? They're controlled by the BCM right? there's gotta be some code in there you could delete to tell it to stop running DRL's.

do you have an RS package? if you do then it's just your fog lights that are DRL's. Just wire the power of the fogs to a switch and they won't come on unless you want them on.

They're mandatory for cars in Canada, in fact if you import a car that doesn't have them you have to modify it so it does have them. My buddys dad had to do it with his 04 Carerra2

I'd really like to wires up mine so that my Halo's are DRL's and the lights come on at night. I havn't quite figured that out yet though haha.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #38
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
My Idea when I get some time to actually pull it off is to remove the directional sockets and replace them with 2 wire sockets and double filament bulbs, then im gonna cut the wire from the drls and hook it up to the low side of the double filament on the directionals. then the car will have parking lamps as drls like they should have from the factory. then I will tackle making the dlrs into switch controlled fog lamps.
I think the car would look much better with yellow parking lamps on during the day instead of the drl's that make you look like a kid cruising with his fog lights on in the day time.

there has been many threads on this subject. I have actually priced out and got part numbers for the real fog lamp assys, the switch, and the wire harness required. the only question was whether you had to go into the bcm to reprogram it to work.
im still researching that.
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #39
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
we really need a gm tech to comment on this and tell us if this is possible to do wioth reprogramming. My worry was whether it automatically made the headlights into drl's like a non rs car when you reprogram it. Im hopinh you can make the non rs headlamp switch work the fog lamps by reprogramming something in the bcm, someone on here had installed the switch but it didnt work.
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #40
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Yeah, I want to get rid of my DRL too.. but I live in Canada, and Canadian Camaros cant turn off the DRL even if you turn the knob to off. It just stays on. I might give the DRL fuse pull a try though... should I disconnect the battery if im doing a fuse pull?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #41
Hephaestus1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS A6
Hey non-RS folks, maybe I can offer some (hopefully useful) data: According to the service manuals, the non-RS headlamps have 3 pins for a reason. Pin "1" is the DRL/Lo-Beam input, Pin "3" is the Hi-Beam input, and Pin "2" is Ground.

The DRL/Lo-Beam input is driven by the BCM with PWM power. I *suspect* that when the light-sensor tells the BCM it is day, the PWM has a low duty cycle (less average power) to make the Lo-Beams dimmer. Nighttime the PWM would approach 100% duty cycle to maximize the power and light output. I *could* be all wet on this assumption, though.

There is a a relay (KR48), and 2 fuses (F55U, 56U) for the Hi-Beams. But, there is no direct fusing or relays for the DRLs/Lo-Beams. Maybe this will provide some fodder to the modding minds...
Hephaestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #42
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
geez, turning off the DRL should not be so hard =( Sigh, I guess I'll have to go to the Dealer and get them to re-program