Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-30-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
Preventing and Cleaning Garage to Protect Camaro?

I will be getting a 2LT/Rs Camaro in March and im looking for some suggestions and advice on how to clean my garage to protect it from damage when parking in my garage spot.

Im the lucky one who gets to back into the garage so its going to be very difficult at first parking into a tight parking spot. When parked the passenger door is against the inner garage wall. Against this wall are racks shovels and other misc. tools.

1) whats a good way to make sure none of these shovels etc fall or rub up against my camaro? i was thinking some sort of sheet......

2) A good way to know how far i have to backup to be inside the garage?
1(tennis balls) 2( i have a light up stop light thing...it lights up when the bumper hits it but it might leave a mark) what else works...

Any other ideas on cleaning a garage and preventing damage to our Camaro's would be great to share with eachother!

Thanks, Cant wait till March!

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
For #2:

I always backup my TSX in the garage. So the first thing I did was to one day, backup slowly so it was still a safe distance from the back and had ample room for the garage door to come down.

I then went ahead and marked the spot on the driver side wall where it lines up with my sideview mirror with a pencil. It was the easiest thing I could come up with.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
You could also install a bump stick on the floor of the garage where your rear tires should stop when you back in. I havent done this yet but I have some friends that do this.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
We reverse our MX5 in the garage (admittedly it's a lot smaller than a Camaro), but it becomes really easy with practice. You get to know where you need to be, real quick.

I also have a Genie laser parking system that fires a little laser beam down onto your dash so you can mark exactly where you park.

Very similar to putting a pencil mark on the wall by your mirror.
Got the parking system off www.woot.com and paid only $5 for it, so I can't complain!
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
ive used two one foot 2x4 pieces .park the car then put one behined each back tire.now my garage is stone walled so i used carpet tacked to ply wood leaning against the wall now my doors dont get dings.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
I would suggest moving the things that are hanging off the wall. You never know when something could fall.

I back mine in as well, and I use the pole in the center of the garage as my guideline. When the mirror lines up with the pole, I'm good. It gets easy with practice. I like the idea about the bump strips on the floor, though.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
TekkGuy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/Sunroof
Doesn't the 2LT have backup assist too? Shouldn't that help?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
You can hang a tennis ball down from the ceiling and line it up with the middle of your rear window. That way you will know exactly where you need to line it up at and where to stop.

Also, Id get rid of all the stuff on the wall. Thats just asking for trouble. Also an egg crate type mattress will help protect the door from the wall.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
kroache

Drives: IBM Camaro 2LT RS
My garage situation is similar to yours. I also back in with the passenger side very close to the garage wall. My wife drives our Chevy Avalanche in next to the driver's side of the Camaro. I invested in a couple of 2x8 sheets of styrafoam insulation. I tacked one sheet on the garage wall next to the passenger side. The second sheet is loose and I lay it against the driver's door when I park the car. This way, if the Avalanche door happens to open too wide it simply rubs against the sheet.

I've been parking like this for many years and haven't bumped the wall yet (knocking on wood ). However I do see a couple of door marks on the driver's side sheet so I know it's saved my door. I have a big hanging utility hook up on my garage rafters so I simply hang the "loose" sheet vertically (just popped a hole in the sheet) whenever I leave with the Camaro (which is pretty much every day). Since the loose sheet sits on the garage floor when in use (leaning against the car), I marked a "this side up" note on the sheet to insure I always keep the clean side of the sheet against the car.

Kevin

kroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I backup also into my garage. I moved everything off the pass side wall and mounted hanging shelf units off ceiling. I also saw an electric stop sign in Bed Bath and Beyond thats basically a stick and a small red backlit stop sign you put on garage floor and it stands about 4 feet high, when you hit the stick with your car it will lite up telling you your at that spot. Also there are floor mats ith a small bumpstop you can lay at your backup spot. I personally just got it down parking without hitting back wall.

ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.

Last edited by Rcfiddy1; 01-31-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added pic
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:41 AM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
It seems that no one , no one, loves his Camaro more than I do.

I park my Camaro in a Hyatt Regency in the Executive King suite !!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
I built a garden shed for the the Yard tools.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Orange Cones

Like the one's construction workers use when they are fixing the roads/highways.

I use two large one's when I'm backing my GTI into the garage...tight squeeze.
It lets me know the distant between my rear and the damn wall/gate.
I've already broke the drivers side mirror when I first got it.
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 AM   #14
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
I backup also into my garage. I moved everything off the pass side wall and mounted hanging shelf units off ceiling. I also saw an electric stop sign in Bed Bath and Beyond thats basically a stick and a small red backlit stop sign you put on garage floor and it stands about 4 feet high, when you hit the stick with your car it will lite up telling you your at that spot. Also there are floor mats ith a small bumpstop you can lay at your backup spot. I personally just got it down parking without hitting back wall.

I actually just got one of these and it works. Im going to tie something around the pole so the plastic doesnt rub against the bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappi View Post
I built a garden shed for the the Yard tools.
Im trying to get my parents to buy one, that would solve a lot of problems!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
Orange Cones

Like the one's construction workers use when they are fixing the roads/highways.

I use two large one's when I'm backing my GTI into the garage...tight squeeze.
It lets me know the distant between my rear and the damn wall/gate.
I've already broke the drivers side mirror when I first got it.
Before i got the stop sign thing, i had a huge yellow construction cone like u had and i tied a really old shirt around it so it wont rub up against the bumper.

Great Ideas everybody! keep em coming

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire

Last edited by Patfan1987; 01-31-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote