Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #183
blackflag

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th
I hate the AFM on my 2012 A6. Would love to tune it out, but voids the warranty.
Its really BAD about 50-55mph and the car shutters like it has a 4cyl in it.

PLUS- new ford guys can tune the ECM without voiding their warranty.
#1 2012 NMCA/LSX Challenge Series
2012 2SS 45th A6

Thanks to our Sponsors:
coldairinductions.com (Cold Air Inductions)
loughengines.com (Mike Lough Race Engines)
granatellimotorsports.com (Granatelli Motorsports)

blackflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #184
Flying24

Drives: Orange Crush 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackflag View Post

PLUS- new ford guys can tune the ECM without voiding their warranty.

GM can you give us a little help here.
If they're worried about gas mileage I'll sign a wavier, my mileage is only about 21-22 mpg. And I'm taking it easy high way best on a trip 26. I'm hearing the ZL-1 auto getting 18-21. This AFM is only good if you have a steady throttle input.
Flying24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #185
Eskilachi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Convertible
I got an answer from a dealership today about the sound Iīm hearing in my car, which you can see/hear in a video a few posts above.
Itīs a spring-loaded valve installed in 2011 and 2012 Camaros to reduce AFM-noise. (Which doesnīt help since it actually makes another noise instead, a noise that is much more annoying if you ask me and makes the car sound like itīs broken). They will not fix it under warranty, in other words they will not admit their mistake.
Eskilachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #186
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying24 View Post
GM can you give us a little help here.
If they're worried about gas mileage I'll sign a wavier, my mileage is only about 21-22 mpg. And I'm taking it easy high way best on a trip 26. I'm hearing the ZL-1 auto getting 18-21. This AFM is only good if you have a steady throttle input.
You heard wrong... and they paid a heafty gas guzzler tax too. I would love to get anywhere close to 20mpg...
Old 06-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #187
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskilachi View Post
I got an answer from a dealership today about the sound Iīm hearing in my car, which you can see/hear in a video a few posts above.
Itīs a spring-loaded valve installed in 2011 and 2012 Camaros to reduce AFM-noise. (Which doesnīt help since it actually makes another noise instead, a noise that is much more annoying if you ask me and makes the car sound like itīs broken). They will not fix it under warranty, in other words they will not admit their mistake.
Is this the exhaust spring valve that was probably put on so it would sound like a V8 when giving it some throttle but quiet down while cruising to hide the 4 cylinder AFM sound? Another band-aid to hide that stupid AFM, just like the giant resonator and suitcase mufflers with a J pipe inside...... I just got consistant 24 mpg on a 200 mile cruise, same or better than when it was stock with AFM turned on, now with 60 hp more and no AFM.... something wrong with this picture GM.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #188
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Is this the exhaust spring valve that was probably put on so it would sound like a V8 when giving it some throttle but quiet down while cruising to hide the 4 cylinder AFM sound? Another band-aid to hide that stupid AFM, just like the giant resonator and suitcase mufflers with a J pipe inside...... I just got consistant 24 mpg on a 200 mile cruise, same or better than when it was stock with AFM turned on, now with 60 hp more and no AFM.... something wrong with this picture GM.
LOL...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #189
Switchback700

Taste like chicken...
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #190
Eskilachi

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss Convertible
Quote:
Thatīs exactly what it is. I would gladly have the AFM-noise instead of the Spring loaded valve-noise. Itīs so much worse. It really sounds like your car is broken and falling apart. And it is all the time. During idle, acceleration, cruising, slowing down, all different speeds. One of the most retarded installs ever done on a car if you ask me.
Eskilachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #191
Switchback700

Hey Now!! I love that picture! At least I was posing to take a "Goober" as you would say it picture, I saw your picture and you look like a "Goober" in a normal Picture! LMFAO.... Look Like Curly... Hey Mo, Hey Larry!

Sorry other posters.... this guy is one of your typical "know-it-All" Forum Bully... this forum is his life. Sorta Sad...

Now I will get warned again and you probably won't, because you are pals with the moderators. You were told to back off and you still instigate. Looks like you are wrong again by the way, why do you keep trying? Go eat your crow again!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #192
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Hey Now!! I love that picture! At least I was posing to take a "Goober" as you would say it picture, I saw your picture and you look like a "Goober" in a normal Picture! LMFAO.... Look Like Curly... Hey Mo, Hey Larry!

Sorry other posters.... this guy is one of your typical "know-it-All" Forum Bully... this forum is his life. Sorta Sad...

Now I will get warned again and you probably won't, because you are pals with the moderators. You were told to back off and you still instigate. Looks like you are wrong again by the way, why do you keep trying? Go eat your crow again!
LOL...
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #193
Switchback700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskilachi View Post
Thatīs exactly what it is. I would gladly have the AFM-noise instead of the Spring loaded valve-noise. Itīs so much worse. It really sounds like your car is broken and falling apart. And it is all the time. During idle, acceleration, cruising, slowing down, all different speeds. One of the most retarded installs ever done on a car if you ask me.

GM seems to keep trying to cover and hide a technology they should have never put on these cars. I'm in the Automotive Design and Engineering field in Detroit and have been told by some GM friends that they were stuck with AFM and did what they could to disguise it, unfortunately at the cost of the customer. Kissing my warranty goodbye and getting Headers, CAI, full exhaust, and a tune was the best day of my Camaro ownership, too bad I had to fix it myself and lose my warranty. Love my SS now! Good Luck.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #194
D666MAN
D666MAN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow
Wonder if this will work on 2010-11 TapShift

Tapshift Adjustment - 2012 Camaro ZL1
Faster TapShift Response For Camaro ZL1 Automatic
By Jim Campisano, Photography by General Motors
February 23, 2012
One of the biggest downers with the fifth-generation Camaro SS has been the TapShift function of the six-speed automatic transmission. Tap the upshift button and it responded with the speed of a snail racing across flypaper. In stock form, you were usually better off letting the 6L90 transmission shift for itself, at least when it came to straight-line acceleration.

Apparently, someone at Chevy noticed so when the new 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 arrives this spring, it will benefit from GM's supposedly improved TapShift technology.

For 2012, GM powertrain engineers implemented a patent-pending software algorithm that improves tap response time by up to 60 percent compared to the previous system. No hardware changes were required for the upgrade, according to a Chevrolet press release.

"The faster you can get to the next gear, the better, and from the sound of it, the ZL1 automatic's performance is going to make paddle shifting more exhilarating and satisfying for drivers of all skill sets," said Eric Fedewa, director of Global Powertrain Forecasting at IHS Automotive. "We're seeing a trend toward more manual-mode-capable, fun-to-drive automatic transmissions across all vehicle segments, and GM's technology is leading the pack."

The 580-horsepower ZL1 has a real advantage over its rival from Dearborn, the Shelby GT500, because the Bow Tie is offered with an automatic gearbox whereas the Ford is manual transmission-only. Short of a genuine clutchless manual transmission, the best you can hope for is an automatic with quick-acting paddle shifts--something the Camaro SS has not had. Hit the TapShift buttons in the SS at the drag strip and you were more likely to over-rev the engine than hit the shift point you wanted.

According to Chevy, the 2012 ZL1's six-speed automatic transmission delivers a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds, a tenth of a second faster than the manual transmission time. With 0-60 taking 3.9 seconds, and a top speed of 184 mph, the power and acceleration of the ZL1 automatic rivals many supercars.

By staging hydraulic pressure in the clutch for the next gear, the new control module algorithm reduces tap delay for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 up-shifts by 200-300 milliseconds. The system anticipates shift requests based on current gear, throttle, torque and speed. By pre-filling the clutch for the next gear, the tap up-shift response is near instantaneous.

Said Gabe Gibson, GM performance car calibration engineer: "Not only did we make the upgrade to Camaro, we implemented it on the 2012 Corvetteas well, and will use it on all vehicles with TapShift control going forward."

Chevy believes the staged up-shifts will help drivers get the most out of its supercharged 6.2L engine, which is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower and 556 lb-ft of torque. "We think Camaro drivers will really appreciate the performance improvement offered by staged up-shifts, whether they're merging onto the freeway or putting their ZL1 through its paces at the track," Gibson said.

The Camaro ZL1 Coupe will go on sale this spring as a 2012 model. The Camaro ZL1 convertible will go on sale this summer as a 2013 model. Chevrolet expects the automatic transmission to command up to 50 percent of ZL1 sales.

Super Chevy Editor Jim Campisano is flying to Virginia next week to get his first hands-on experience with the ZL1 at the challenging (and high-speed) Virginia International Raceway. Check superchevy.com and Super Chevy's Facewbook page for updates when he drives the car on February 28.

By Jim Campisano
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/features/c...#ixzz1wxtzAc6U
D666MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #195
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by D666MAN View Post
Tapshift Adjustment - 2012 Camaro ZL1
Faster TapShift Response For Camaro ZL1 Automatic
This references a totally different transmission so unless you want to swap trannys it doesn't apply.

ZL1 has a 6L90 automatic transmission... and there is no AFM
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #196
D666MAN
D666MAN

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This references a totally different transmission so unless you want to swap trannys it doesn't apply.

ZL1 has a 6L90 automatic transmission... and there is no AFM
6L90 is basically a heavy duty 6L80. It shares 75% of the same parts. My point was since this is a software issue, maybe this new program will help make the AFM more tolerable.
D666MAN is offline   Reply With Quote