Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
patroklai
Enthusiast

Drives: Camaro SS | e92 M3
Guibo / Couplers - Aftermarket Options

So I recently purchased 2 prothane six shooters for my 2012 Camaro only to realize the don't fit. I have no idea what changed from 2010/11 to 2012 but apparently the six shooter is too small.

Anyway, are there any options out there for me to beef up my couplers without having to upgrade the entire drive shaft?

I've installed aluminum motor mounts, poly trans mount and BMR total suspension package which replaces all the diff and cradle bushings.

Thanks!
patroklai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
patroklai
Enthusiast

Also the part number I got is the 7-1653. I'm trying to figure out what the OEM part number is so I can track down what cars share it. Mine is a 6MT. I can't seem to find the part# on any OEM GM sites and i don't even know if they call it the same thing (coupler?).

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
you may want to re-think the prothane style one, you see the shaft has the soft center hanger and moves up and down. the solidness of that style Giubo will not allow the few degrees deflection and will cause a real launch shudder. its my opinion that the issue with the shaft it more the bolts and the spline area. this is where you will see most damage. if you take the torsional deflection out of that stock shaft this may make the known issues more apparent.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
patroklai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
you may want to re-think the prothane style one, you see the shaft has the soft center hanger and moves up and down. the solidness of that style Giubo will not allow the few degrees deflection and will cause a real launch shudder. its my opinion that the issue with the shaft it more the bolts and the spline area. this is where you will see most damage. if you take the torsional deflection out of that stock shaft this may make the known issues more apparent.
That actually makes sense. Thanks... I'm already working on returning the two prothane ones.

I didn't actually have a problem before but since I'm upgrading everything else I wonder if I'll have a weak spot. I'm N/A right now but have every bolt one known to man and will be going with a S/C in the future.

Anyway, do you think I'll be safe using the OEM stuff or should I upgrade? If the later, what are my choices?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
The Giubo is strong enough, like i said its the tube/bolts and spline that have an issue. we make a few different options. when you come to that point shoot me a pm and ill help you out.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #6
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
The hex head bolts that connect the guibo to the defferential are torque to yield bolts and should be replaced. When I went to a local fastener shop to try and find some upgraded bolts they reccomended going with a softer bolt that would have a little more stretch.

The person working there stated that the factory 10.9 bolts are so hard that they will snap. He mentioned having a similar problem with a mercedes. I figured I'd give the grade 8 bolts they mentioned a shot. Haven't been to the track yet though.

I'm hoping if there are any issues ( I haven't had any yet but was swapping gears) a bent bolt will be better then a snapped one.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
patroklai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
The hex head bolts that connect the guibo to the defferential are torque to yield bolts and should be replaced. When I went to a local fastener shop to try and find some upgraded bolts they reccomended going with a softer bolt that would have a little more stretch.

The person working there stated that the factory 10.9 bolts are so hard that they will snap. He mentioned having a similar problem with a mercedes. I figured I'd give the grade 8 bolts they mentioned a shot. Haven't been to the track yet though.

I'm hoping if there are any issues ( I haven't had any yet but was swapping gears) a bent bolt will be better then a snapped one.
I thought about replacing bolts anyway since they are "one use only." Where can I get these bolts?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
I went to a local fastener shop who had the grade 8 replacements.

You can get the factory bolts from the dealer. Even though they are supposed to replace them for any differential service I've read about most not keeping them in stock.
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
patroklai
Enthusiast

So what happens if I reuse stock? Is my drivetrain now "weaker?"