Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Convertible Red Hot
Camaro SS price drop?

I heard that there is a price drop incoming for the SS but could find no reputable sources. Is this true? And when will this be in effect?
ICEing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
'18 will have a slight price increase, not drop...
Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Tremek

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Wagon
Chevy/GM are in serious trouble if they keep increasing MSRPs. Why?

A brand-new Mustang GT is $25k, and GT Premiums are $31k. That's why.

The vast majority of car buyers out there have weak brand loyalty. I'm one of them. I buy the best cars I can get for my needs and for the price. Mustang GTs being $10k cheaper than the cheapest SSs out there doesn't bode well for SS sales.

Edit: changed the link above to reflect that yes, there are $25k new 2017 Mustang GTs and not just mis-labeled Ecoboosts.

Last edited by Tremek; 06-06-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Tremek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Tremek

I also prefer the LS motors, but for anyone that's not one of us forum-warrioring enthusiasts, the nicer interior of the Mustang and the $9k+ cost-savings are going to sway many buyers to the GT, especially considering that when driven up to 7/10ths, the GT is still very formidable and to some eyes a prettier design than the Camaro.

Even enthusiasts have to admit the Mustang's FI community is doing some pretty amazing things for less money than most blowers available for the Camaro, and that's also a big influence for underground and competitive drag guys, and even if that's a tiny segment of the population, they're certainly influencers.

GM needs to do a reality check on what cars like this will transact at in the future. Chevy's sales are considerably down both YoY as well as month to month. Camaro sales alone don't keep Chevy afloat - thank the humans that don't even care about the act of driving, or what they drive, and buy an Equinox - but too-high MSRPs across the board for Chevy and frankly most of GM, and then heavy discounting to counter the MSRP, is not a good long-term competitive business practice.

Moreover, if you train consumers that your brand regularly offers 10-20% off MSRP sales on a regular basis (see the woes of JCPenney as a good indicator for how this plays out when that's what your brand is built on, and then you start charging premium prices) GM's going to continue to see market share whittled away on the margins first, and then in the meat of their profitable product lines, and that's when niche and halo cars go away. :(
Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
A new GT Premium Vert for 37.500? That is only a grand more than I paid for my 12 1SS Vert. Chevy better start chopping prices quick.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
MotownBoy

Drives: 2017 2SS Stick Hyper Blue
A 727 HP Mustang for $40 Gs? If something sounds to god to be true, it usually is.

I'll keep my 2SS in any case but I'm curious to follow this Mustang.

MotownBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremek View Post

A brand-new Mustang GT Premium is $25k. That's why.

The vast majority of car buyers out there have weak brand loyalty. I'm one of them. I buy the best cars I can get for my needs and for the price. Mustang GTs being $10k cheaper than the cheapest SSs out there doesn't bode well for SS sales.
What the actual hell? Is that a scam? There's no way a GT premium can be 25k that's cheap as hell. Official Ford Website says a base Mustang is 25k. GT Premium is 37k. How is that one 12k less???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
You can buy a 727 HP Mustang GT with a Roush blower installed and a warranty from Lebanon Ford in Ohio for $40k. That said, I still like the Camaro better overall.

http://www.lebanonford.com/the-727-hp-mustang.htm
I saw this before. This also looks fishy. I've always been taught if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. That doesn't come with any suspension upgrades to handle that HP does it?
Old 06-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Tremek

Re: the Lebanon 727 package, it's the same or better as buying a SS and then having the dealer install a supercharger for you; better in the sense that Lebanon themselves are warrantying the install and mechanicals for 3/36, which you typically won't find elsewhere. And in this case, doing it for something like ~$5-10k cheaper than if you did it with a similarly-equipped Camaro.

I'm sure there are both happy customers as well as customers who have encountered issues, just like any aftermarket blower installation would create. YMMV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEing View Post
What the actual hell? Is that a scam? There's no way a GT premium can be 25k that's cheap as hell

I saw this before. This also looks fishy. I've always been taught if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. That doesn't come with any suspension upgrades to handle that HP does it?
Nope, these are real. At $26k anyway they are, I think the $25k models in the link I posted aren't Coyotes. The most spartan of Mustang GTs have been transacting at or around $25k +TTL since the Coyote came out.

Edit #3: Appears $26k GTs are all over, however, many GTs are mis-listed as "Premium" and aren't actual Premium cars. Here's an actual Premium for $31.4k. Also looks like you can get that car at 0% for 36 months, or 1.9% for 60 +$500 back through Ford Credit. Where's your counter, Chevy?

Last edited by Tremek; 06-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Tremek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:

Those are base GT. Look at MSRP. MSRP on a Premium is over $37,000.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
ICEing
Hugh Mungus WOT??

Quote:
Re: the Lebanon 727 package, it's the same or better as buying a SS and then having the dealer install a supercharger for you; better in the sense that Lebanon themselves are warrantying the install and mechanicals for 3/36, which you typically won't find elsewhere. And in this case, doing it for something like ~$5-10k cheaper than if you did it with a similarly-equipped Camaro.

I'm sure there are both happy customers as well as customers who have encountered issues, just like any aftermarket blower installation would create. YMMV?

Nope, these are real. At $26k anyway they are, I think the $25k models in the link I posted aren't Coyotes. The most spartan of Mustang GTs have been transacting at or around $25k +TTL since the Coyote came out.

Edit: least-expensive actual GT Premium (looks as many dealers have non-Premiums or even GTs mis-listed as Premium; did some digging on Ford's site, and this car with Recaros looks to be the real deal at just a hair over $30k; contrast that against the cheapest 2SS at $36.6k. $26k GTs all over however.
I thought all Mustang GTs are 5.0Coyotes? Guess I don't know that much about Mustangs. I'm about to if they are selling that cheap. That can definitely leave me some money for a nice supercharger. But then I would just look into the Lebanon Ford Dealership.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Tremek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Those are base GT. Look at MSRP. MSRP on a Premium is over $37,000.
Who cares what MSRP is, when the cars are widely available at a significant discount? This is my point re: MSRPs (and frankly it applies to Ford as well as GM) - the MSRP is irrelevant when the cars transact at a far lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEing View Post
I thought all Mustang GTs are 5.0Coyotes? Guess I don't know that much about Mustangs. I'm about to if they are selling that cheap. That can definitely leave me some money for a nice supercharger. But then I would just look into the Lebanon Ford Dealership.
Yeah, the "GTs" that were at the top of the cars.com link I initially posted were clearly mislisted as they weren't Coyote cars - but actual GTs (not Premiums) do appear to start at $25k right now, and actual Premium cars look to be ~31k + 0% for 36 or 1.9 for 60 + TTL.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #12
Zodiac
Sarcasm Personified

Drives: 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
The Lebanon package is true $40k will get you the car. No suspension upgrades etc. A base GT with supercharger installed and warranted. They will do anything you want though so you can customize.

Those $25k GT's that were linked definitely are premiums. Can't really say if the pricing is legit.

You can tell it's a premium by the upgraded display and rear diffuser and obviously leather.

EDIT: Those are 4 cylinders.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Tremek

Upon further digging it looked as though the Premiums at the top of the list were 2.3 Ecoboosts. The cheapest actual Premium 5.0 I found was the one I linked on the previous page at $31k. Pricing looks legit.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:

This is from that website...http://www.battlefieldfordculpeper.c...ource=cars.com

They're advertising Ecoboost Mustangs as GT's.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote