Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #85
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post

If you let it sit for a hour or two in 115 degree at the dealership before they test, I betcha will do it!!
They can have it all day.. Ill be in the pool.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #86
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
[QUOTE=thespymaster;6710120]I have the same problem, but found the simple fix. At startup I just turn off the A/C and cruise for about 1/2 mile and click back on the A/C and BAM..........kicks in the ICE COLD AIR!!

That's exactly what I did last summer. Has happened only that one time.
Mine blew hot and I immediately shut off the A/C and turned it back after only a few seconds and cold air returned instantly.
2012 #1765: Xpel Clear Bra, 15% Tint, M2W, LPE GT9 Cam, Ported Heads & Snout, Upgraded Valve Train, 90mm TB, LPE Dual Fan HX, 2.55 Upper, 9.1 Lower (18%), Id850's, KB BAP, Roto-fab CAI, AR Stainless Headers, 673 rwhp, A6, Nothin but Fun!
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #87
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
I am in and out of the car throughout the day and with the AZ heat I have been waiting for it to happen. It finally happened last week after sitting in the sun for about 30 minutes. I simply turned the A/C off and then turned it back on and within a few seconds cold air started to come out. Hasn't happened since, but expect it most likely will sooner than later.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #88
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
I am in and out of the car throughout the day and with the AZ heat I have been waiting for it to happen. It finally happened last week after sitting in the sun for about 30 minutes. I simply turned the A/C off and then turned it back on and within a few seconds cold air started to come out. Hasn't happened since, but expect it most likely will sooner than later.
Not mechanically inclined on my part, but I suspect their is "NO FIX" as the weather is the culprit in triple digit heat..... Why the ZL1 does it vs other vehicles don't, no clue.

But the fact that the simple fix is TURN OFF/ON AC after a short distance, tells me some about the radiator needs time to cool done or at least for the fans to kick on ?
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #89
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Sounds to me like a signal is not being sent to the compressor to turn it on, everything is fine mechanically as you guys do get cold air after turning it off and back on, a reset of sorts. a coding error on some electronic component to the AC? I've been fortunate to not have this problem yet.

Long shot but perhaps failure of the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?
ACDELCO Part # 25775833

Too bad we don't have digital versions of the service manuals to refer too...
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #90
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
Sounds to me like a signal is not being sent to the compressor to turn it on, everything is fine mechanically as you guys do get cold air after turning it off and back on, a reset of sorts. a coding error on some electronic component to the AC? I've been fortunate to not have this problem yet.

Long shot but perhaps failure of the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor?
ACDELCO Part # 25775833

Too bad we don't have digital versions of the service manuals to refer too...
I never had the problem prior to moving to Arizona with the ZL1.

We have dry heat in triple digits, you have humidity and hover around 85-90, big difference when 100-115
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #91
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I never had the problem prior to moving to Arizona with the ZL1.

We have dry heat in triple digits, you have humidity and hover around 85-90, big difference when 100-115

I have tried shutting off the car with the A/C set full blast but when I start it again it blows warm, there must be some switch (like he said about the compressor) that won't kick in under high temps. I would think it would have to be outside the engine compartment bcause it is always hot there. Must be somewhere in the on the other side of the firewall from the engine.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #92
mmarx82

Can someone at least check that the compressor is running when this happens? Obviously before doing the on/off trick. It is something to rule out...

Right now we are 85-90, Where I'm at we get triple digits too, though you would think that the humidity would make the problem worse?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #93
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Thumbs up Good news - Fix allegedly found for the ZL1 AZ heat soak AC problem.

Not sure you saw my post in the 2013 AC thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=28

So far I have not had a repeat of the problem after Chapman fixed it.
I picked her up 06/22/13 and am enjoying the cold life!

Good news - Fix allegedly found for the ZL1 AZ heat soak AC problem.

Chapman my dealer says they finally figured out how to solve my ZL1 AC heat soak problem! - I have been experiencing this all last summer and again this summer.

With a full factory specified charge of freon and when its real hot the AC High Side Freon switch prevents the AC compressor from turning on. This senerio happens when you drive it in the 102+ heat and then stop like to go into a store or to fill up on gas. When you start the car the AC compressor does not turn back on until you can go about 45mph. This also sometimes happened when I would idle for an extended period with the AC on too. But while idling the AC is initially fine but after the the heat soak it's when your driving that the high side switch acts this way. This was hard to diagnose without a computer monitoring when the high side switch prevented the compressor from turning on.

By removing about 2oz of fluid it was noticed that it prevents this situation and according to my AZ service advisor it actually cools better here this way also. - I pick up my ZL1 tomorrow and will try it myself.

I'm not sure this reduction of freon would help others in more humid climates but the high side switch acting this way might be something to watch for.

GoodTimes!
Old 06-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #94
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Hope it was a GM approved fix and put out a TSB on this..
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #95
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post

Chapman my dealer says they finally figured out how to solve my ZL1 AC heat soak problem! - I have been experiencing this all last summer and again this summer.

With a full factory specified charge of freon and when its real hot the AC High Side Freon switch prevents the AC compressor from turning on. This senerio happens when you drive it in the 102+ heat and then stop like to go into a store or to fill up on gas. When you start the car the AC compressor does not turn back on until you can go about 45mph. This also sometimes happened when I would idle for an extended period with the AC on too. But while idling the AC is initially fine but after the the heat soak it's when your driving that the high side switch acts this way. This was hard to diagnose without a computer monitoring when the high side switch prevented the compressor from turning on.

By removing about 2oz of fluid it was noticed that it prevents this situation and according to my AZ service advisor it actually cools better here this way also. - I pick up my ZL1 tomorrow and will try it myself.

I'm not sure this reduction of freon would help others in more humid climates but the high side switch acting this way might be something to watch for.

GoodTimes!
I will talk to my dealer about this solution, I have to go in anyway maybe they can fix it.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #96
mmarx82

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post

GoodTimes!
Interesting, thanks for the post! So if you guys verify that indeed your AC compressor is not turning on here is your possible solution. Good Luck, anyone that tries it and it works please let the rest of us know!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #97
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...and the temps are expected to rise even higher this week in the southwest, ....wheeeeh, you guys have it rough out there. Talk about hot.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #98
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
at 110 ambient the pressure on the high side of your ac is 230psi...thats right at the end of the scale....
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote