Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Mustang comparison, disciples pay special attention please!

So today I went by a car firm that specializes on imported and more exclusive cars and thus have nice things like Corvettes, assorted Chevys and loooots of Mustangs. Anyway I just went by to check out a Mustang because I've never really had a sit in a muscle or pony car in adult age and thus thought I should.

First off, I have not converted, I'm still a GM guy, but around here anything American is pretty exciting (I even got a bit tingly about the Malibu Hybrid they had at the place). Now to my impressions:

I took a sit in the Bullitt Mustang and I have to say I quite liked it. I already like the look of the Bullitt and thought the interior was nicely styled to fit the exterior. But first I made an ass out of myself when trying to adjust the seat. I'm so used to my old Saab that I looked for a lever and kindly got pointed to the button that you shifted in different directions. Anyways in the seat, door closed (hey the windows shifted up when I close the door wtf? oh okay to close the door better). I fit pretty well in the seat, surprised that a big guy like me had some space to move around actually, used to not really fitting that well in most cars. Felt the wheel, the shifter and the pedals. Looked around, pretty good view. Rear view mirror a bit in the way though. Oh well not as bad as my dads Prius. Only real reason that I didn't take it for a spin was that I didn't have the time.

In conclusion I have to say I quite liked my first hand-son enqouenter with a modern American car with a V8.

Now the questions begin though. To the people who have encountered the 5th gen, and most certainly the disciples, how does it compare to the Mustang? And no not the obivous stuff like engine power etc, if I bought a Mustang it would be to hold me over to the top Camaro in a few years time, but more like how you fit in it, how is it sizewise on the outside?

I'm also intrested in hearing about comparisons to 4th gens and such.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I windows on a lot of cars without window frames crack a little when you open the door and then seal back up when you close them. I think it's a great idea so you don't have to slam the door if the car is sealed good

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
z28collection
waiting for 5th gen

Drives: 99 z28 6 speed, 81 z28 auto
windows

i think ive seen that feature on a BMW before.

http://www.myspace.com/ashleyjfowlkes
z28collection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
My moms mini cooper did that too. When opening and closing the doors. And I have taken a 2007 Mustang GT for a spin and I have to say my 4th gen handles a hell of a lot better. Much firmer steering and control. Didn't really care for the giant turn signal lever. <I'm kinda picky on things like that, plus it was loud when it clicked, drove me nuts> The ride wasn't as smooth as my 4th gen either. And maybe its just me but I didn't think off the line that it had as much power. BTW my 4th gen is a 3.8L V6. But thats just my opinion.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
My moms mini cooper did that too. When opening and closing the doors. And I have taken a 2007 Mustang GT for a spin and I have to say my 4th gen handles a hell of a lot better. Much firmer steering and control. Didn't really care for the giant turn signal lever. <I'm kinda picky on things like that, plus it was loud when it clicked, drove me nuts> The ride wasn't as smooth as my 4th gen either. And maybe its just me but I didn't think off the line that it had as much power. BTW my 4th gen is a 3.8L V6. But thats just my opinion.
I recently drove a co-worker's Mustang and I enjoyed the idea of the windows, too! I also have to say that my 4th Gen felt like it handled way better, too. Her V6 Mustang had more pick-up than my Camaro though...however I'm workin' with the old 3.4l V6...and not the 3.8l. But the 4th Gen's stick to the ground way better.

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
ive driven my friends 06' GT as well as brutalized a V6 rental car for a week and have to say.. the steering is what kills it. GREAT pickup and engine sound in both cars (even the V6. i was suprised) , but the steering kills it. my Accord handles better.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
That "window" thing is called indexing glass. It is typically seen on high end cars but has started making it's way down the line. It is there to help creat a better seal and prevent extra wind noise. The Corvette's all have this feature and I'm hoping the Camaro will as well. As far as interior room in concerned, from what I've read and been told, it will be quite roomy. I spoke with a gentleman who was a bit overweight and 6'3" and he said that he fit just fine in the Camaro, so you should have no problem.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenn View Post
That "window" thing is called indexing glass. It is typically seen on high end cars but has started making it's way down the line. It is there to help creat a better seal and prevent extra wind noise. The Corvette's all have this feature and I'm hoping the Camaro will as well. As far as interior room in concerned, from what I've read and been told, it will be quite roomy. I spoke with a gentleman who was a bit overweight and 6'3" and he said that he fit just fine in the Camaro, so you should have no problem.

I'm too lazy to search but someone in one of the threads said the new Camaro has window "indexing" (or is that windex?).

I remember it was in one of the threads about the IVER camaro with the dark tinted windows that made a surprise appearance at an F-Body meetup.

Pretty sure we're going to get that!

On another note... I was behind a C6 today I think for the first time and noticed the turn signals were "sequential". The inboard lamp would light followed by the outboard lamp. So the lights "move" in sequence to show turn direction. Like the '69 Cougar used to have (only that had 3 lamps not two). Is that standard on the 'vette???
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Good to hear about the windows, really liked that little feature.

And also good to hear about the roominess jsenn, I'm 6'3 and a bit overweight as well myself (making progress on the latter but I can't chop off my legs now can I?). Was however pleasntly surprised that it was actually asier to step into then my Saab that is a good six inches higher, and this is a good sign to me regarding the Camaro since it should be just slightly lower.

I will have to test drive a Mustang GT at some point. It will probably be a quite a bit better then my worn out Saab (not to mention having double the cylinders and horsepower), but it will make for good comparison to when I test drive the Camaro.

Last edited by Emher; 06-12-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Emher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Hmm... I never noticed the sequential turn signals on C6s, but in my area, no one uses turn signals, so I'm not that suprised.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm too lazy to search but someone in one of the threads said the new Camaro has window "indexing" (or is that windex?).

I remember it was in one of the threads about the IVER camaro with the dark tinted windows that made a surprise appearance at an F-Body meetup.

Pretty sure we're going to get that!

On another note... I was behind a C6 today I think for the first time and noticed the turn signals were "sequential". The inboard lamp would light followed by the outboard lamp. So the lights "move" in sequence to show turn direction. Like the '69 Cougar used to have (only that had 3 lamps not two). Is that standard on the 'vette???
Unfortunately, sequentials are illegal, however there are aftermarket companies that make kits to do it. They were outlawed in the early 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_signal#Turn_signals
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Are they illegal for the OEMs to do, or illegal period?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
It sounds like another case of the government telling us we can't do something for no good reason.

First it's sequential turn signals, next it's outlawing incandescent bulbs.

What's next?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

No Camaros...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"