Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
National Tire and Battery damaged my new rims

So I took me car over at NTB yesterday to get new rear Pirellis put on.

First off the guy at the desk after telling him last week that I didn't want a 100 dollar road hazard guarantee puts it on my bill regardless than claims they do it automatically and apologizes when I ask him why the bill is so expensive.

I come back later and its about to rain my Camaro is parked out front with the window down.

So I inspect the rims and a rubbery substance is all over them which wouldn't come off from a Laser Wash alone. Also the rims are scratched in a circular motion across the edges of the tire from their machine.

The manager on duty took responsibility and said he will have my wheels sent out to be refinished.

The best part is I explained I don't have other wheels to put on the vehicle. They tried soft selling me some winter rims as well and are now playing dumb when I ask them how I am supposed to keep my car out of commission for a week while they fix my rims when I don't have another set of wheels to put on the vehicle. When I explained I don't have any money available to buy another set they played dumb and said to call them Monday and they will try and figure something out...
ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
ZZZ

So anyone got any actual advice on how they would handle this...? I'm thinking of asking for all new rims if they can't supply some for me to use while they repair the damaged ones.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
Are they factory rims or aftermarket? Perhaps getting them to pay for a car rental while they fix/repair your wheels?? Just my 2 cents..
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
i will tell you this,the road hazard probably does come up on the invoice automatically so that may have been an honest mistake.As for the damage to the wheels you need to stand your ground and have them ,make the situation right,our shop has damaged a wheel from time to time but always replace the wheel if the customer wants that.part of doing biz...P.S road hazard is highly recomended i see people all the time have to buy another tire weeks after getting a new set because they have no road hazard, all companies are different but ours is free replacement as long as there is legal tread life
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
CamarosThree

Drives: 2010 SSRS 97 Camaro SS 1969 Camaro
Go for as much free stuff as you can get.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
i will tell you this,the road hazard probably does come up on the invoice automatically so that may have been an honest mistake.As for the damage to the wheels you need to stand your ground and have them ,make the situation right,our shop has damaged a wheel from time to time but always replace the wheel if the customer wants that.part of doing biz...P.S road hazard is highly recomended i see people all the time have to buy another tire weeks after getting a new set because they have no road hazard, all companies are different but ours is free replacement as long as there is legal tread life
But it's a prorated thing , right ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Funny how I was desperate on a Sunday afternoon to get the rims swapped out on my Camaro and wound up at the only place open on a Sunday that would touch the stock 20's and they did a perfect job. Not one nick or scratch anywhere. I researched the place later and they have so many horrible reviews about scamming people and doing poor work, lol, guess I got lucky.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
But it's a prorated thing , right ?
Not if it's your fault the tire is unusable.
1SSFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
A national tire chain doesn't have a written policy in place to handle damaged rims?
Sounds to me like they hope you'll just go away.
I'd be asking for a rental car, while they have the rims repaired.
It's not your fault you don't have two sets of rims. But it is their fault the rims are damaged and they have insurance to cover it, when their techs screw up.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
ZZZ

I don't trust them to house my vehicle after this BS... they have kids right out of highschool working their and the clerk was a jerk off.

A rental car would be nice but what do you guys think I should do regarding taking the rims off when I dont have another wheel to put on them?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
ZZZ

I also read refinishing can weaken the wheel is this true?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Macky

Drives: 2016 1SS, Garnet Red Tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
I also read refinishing can weaken the wheel is this true?
I highly doubt it.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
toycamaro

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red SS RS
dang sorry to hear that. i am leary bout them messing up my wheels too. but stand your ground. they werent like that when you left it. they shouldnt be like that when you pick it up. thats what THEY have insurance for
toycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you can take the wheels off at your house and store the car on jack stands, take the wheels to get fixed and hand them the bill once you're done. If you need a rental get one (or ask where they have an account with a rental agency). That or you could just get new wheels and tell them they now own the old damaged ones. Good luck, be persistent.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote