Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
I need help..huge oil problem

Let me give you all the details. I have 3600 miles since my last oil change. I just did it at end of october. Even with 7-8k miles on a change I have never added more than a quart to get the oil to proper levels. This is also first time I used pensoil platinum instead of royal purple. I took a trip to Mississippi last week where it rained the entire 13 hours down and drove through 2 hours of rain today. I do have the injen longtube intake. After driving today I checked the tube for water and saw nothing but I did see this on the vacuum hose where it connects to the intake. My heart sank
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1355092226386.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  26.2 KB
That looks like oil that has been whipped into cream after mixing with water.
I checked the oil and found the stick was bone dry. I added 3 quarts before it registered on the stick but one side said it was overfilled and the other said it was low. I just started over and changed the oil. Keep in mind I added 3 quarts. 4.25 quarts drained out.....I have no clue what is going on. The whipped oil (if it is that) was not found anywhere else...checked intake, throttle body, other side of vacuum hose where it comes out of valve cover and no signs in oil I drained.
So either the car ate that much oil or I guess there is a possibility it is whipped up and stuck in the engine. No signs of leaks either. I have seen no problems in performance and even just posted a thread on how well it ran the other night. So moral of story....my car had 1.25 quarts in the engine before I added oil and possibility water is involved. I need some input. Thanks guys.
Additional info. Car was built in November of 09 and has 69000 miles. Bought feb 2010.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I guess I will put my Injen raincoat on the next time I know I will be driving in rain for the day!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Do you have a catch can? Or breather?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I think the discolored oil in your breather line is normal given the driving conditions and unrelated to the oil loss. Was the oil you drained discolored or contaminated with water?

It's also common for a car driven mostly in town to have significant amounts of gasoline contaminating the oil(and making the oil volume look greater) until you get out on the open road and run at consistently higher RPM for awhile. The subsequent higher oil pressure forces the dilute oil past the rings and burns it, dropping your oil level quickly. Could this be some of the possible cause for your car?

I think you dodged a bullet- watch it carefully over the next few weeks, and I think I'd stick with some other brand of oil!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Do you have a catch can? Or breather?
No sir.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I think the discolored oil in your breather line is normal given the driving conditions and unrelated to the oil loss. Was the oil you drained discolored or contaminated with water?

It's also common for a car driven mostly in town to have significant amounts of gasoline contaminating the oil(and making the oil volume look greater) until you get out on the open road and run at consistently higher RPM for awhile. The subsequent higher oil pressure forces the dilute oil past the rings and burns it, dropping your oil level quickly. Could this be some of the possible cause for your car?

I think you dodged a bullet- watch it carefully over the next few weeks, and I think I'd stick with some other brand of oil!
The oil that drained looked fine...keep in mind most of it was brand new and never ran through the engine. Also 99% of my driving is highway.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I was afraid you'd say that- excuse me while I go check my oil!!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Be very careful when adding oil to these engine when they read empty. As some may know I had this issue about 1 month ago. I added and added untill I seen it on the stick. Ran the car for about a mile and started to create a smoke screen behind me. Come to find out I wasnt dry and I had 12 qts of oil in thr car. I dont know where the oil goes where it cant be read at times but its in there. So if anyone has this issue pull the oil plug to make sure nothing is actually in there. This could cause gaskets to go bad. And yes the discolored liquid looks like fuel and oil mixed. Get a catch can. Also seafoam the engine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Be very careful when adding oil to these engine when they read empty. As some may know I had this issue about 1 month ago. I added and added untill I seen it on the stick. Ran the car for about a mile and started to create a smoke screen behind me. Come to find out I wasnt dry and I had 12 qts of oil in thr car. I dont know where the oil goes where it cant be read at times but its in there. So if anyone has this issue pull the oil plug to make sure nothing is actually in there. This could cause gaskets to go bad. And yes the discolored liquid looks like fuel and oil mixed. Get a catch can. Also seafoam the engine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
WTH?? how does that happen? We all know these dipsticks are hard to read and are pretty much useless but dang...12 quarts...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I don't know where you are in this process, but I'll tell you what I would do.

You have fresh oil in the car. Start it and let it idle for a short time.

Drain the oil and change the filter.

Add fresh oil.

Start the car and let it idle for a minute or two.

Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and check the oil fill level.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I don't know where you are in this process, but I'll tell you what I would do.

You have fresh oil in the car. Start it and let it idle for a short time.

Drain the oil and change the filter.

Add fresh oil.

Start the car and let it idle for a minute or two.

Let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes and check the oil fill level.
I added 3 quarts after realizing it was low. But due to dipstick inconsistency I drained it all and started over. I added the correct amount and the car is sitting. That is where I am at.
Are you saying to do it again?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
I added 3 quarts after realizing it was low. But due to dipstick inconsistency I drained it all and started over. I added the correct amount and the car is sitting. That is where I am at.
Are you saying to do it again?
There was no milky look to the drain oil?
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There was no milky look to the drain oil?
No there was not. But Like I said before. 3 of the 4.25 quarts that drained I had just put in 5 minutes before and never started the engine...so I don't know if the new oil would mask any colors. It was all brownish black like usual.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
JusticePete

Start it and get it warm. Check the oil quality by color on the dipstick. Let me know what you find.