Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
which ever top quality gas you choose will be fine ....as long as its a top quality gas....some of the above listed are great. believe it or not costco buys there gas and puts additives in it to make it burn a little better but thats compared to murphy and sams i dont know how it compares to the other big petrol companys.

i can tell you for sure that people that run quality 93 octane gas have cleaner internal combustion chambers...i used to think that was garbage till i started working in a garage and seeing the guys tear some apart.

so if it were me i would run a Shell BP Chevron Sunoco Mobile 1 there are others but not really in my area
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
dirtrd

Drives: '13 SS/RS - 1LE RCT
If all things are equal, price, paved lot ect. I just go where they have the best tasting coffee.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #31
2010_2ss_313

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I've always had good results with 92/93 from BP, Sonoco, or Mobile. Sometimes I add a few gallons of E85 (2 or 3) at Speedway. Using some other brands I've had to do the fuse pull.
2010_2ss_313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #32
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
I always get the cheapest gas I can find at one of the major brands (in my camaro for sure, my DD; not so I get whatever's cheapest in town even if its crap gas); shell, texaco, 76, Chevron I use octane 87 I do mostly city driving and I do about 6 miles one way on the freeway at least once a week sometimes more and I do about 6 miles of highway driving once a week at least but sometimes more (I go highway one way and freeway the other way) and I never get more than 15-16mpg but according to the EPA spec sheet I should never get less than 20mpg on the brand new 2014 2LT and should get close to 30mpg on the freeway which is bull as well (and I have automatic).

I have owned MANY V6s and straight 6s; I have NEVER EVER seen a 6cyl engine get more than 18mpg even brand new. You want those kinds of miles, get a 4cyl LOL.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #33
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
to become top tier all they have to do is pay to be on the list right? Sunocos not on the list and they are one of the best. Kwik Fill is also very good. Basically any of the name brands are fine.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 AM   #34
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
to become top tier all they have to do is pay to be on the list right? Sunocos not on the list and they are one of the best. Kwik Fill is also very good. Basically any of the name brands are fine.
My uncle said the same thing (he's a 25 year veteran mechanic in the bay area). So what's considered a name brand? What about Fred Meyer, Walmart, Pilot, Arco (I know Arco does NOT have good fuel from what I understand and they aren't listed on the top tier but neither are a lot of the good fuel brands).

Like I said I stick to the big boys and I only use 87 octane on all my vehicles unless it specifically calls for higher or other octanes (76, shell, chevron, etc) for my C5; my other vehicles I just use whatever's cheap
Old 03-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #35
JCunningham

ya the list is to big to list but what im saying is top tier is just a list. some of the best gas is on it but some are not.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #36
BMTGIE

Drives: 2014 RRM SS/ 2011 Black LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I think there is some crappy gas out there, but that would usually come from a station that has very low turnover in their product (just my opinion). The "Top Tier" gas list is as follows and supposedly are all highest quality gas.

Top-Tier Gas Brands:
76 Stations
Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Esso
Chevron
Petro-Canada
Conoco
Shell Canada
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Personally, I buy the cheapest 93 octane I can find in my area (often Murphy USA @ Walmart) and have had no problems with performance.

Exxon, Mobil, & Esso is the same.
BMTGIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 AM   #37
mynetdude

Quote:
ya the list is to big to list but what im saying is top tier is just a list. some of the best gas is on it but some are not.
It just would be nice to know whose got good & bad gas; honestly since I started using the big brand names I'm kinda jumpy about them because of their silly "cash or card" prices which isn't new to the scene its starting to catch up here on the west coast (or left coast if you want to call it that).

I just don't find it fair that they can advertise their lowest price and then they expect you to know you're going to be charged 10 cents more per gallon just to use a debit card but the laws says they can do that

maybe I will try the next octane up and see if it makes any difference in MPG or performance, etc. I never let it get past 1/2 tank.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #38
JCunningham

In ny you have to advertise both prices by law. I only use Sunoco. cant go wrong with them. Kwik Fill if i cant get to a sunoco. 93 but i have a ss. try some 93 if you can get it. dont know about the v6 but I always got better mileage with 93 on my v8 Silverados. my 08 got 2mpg better so it broke even on the price. Then i just tuned it for 93. on my 00 it will ping with 87 going up steep hills. I run 93 in it and it stopped pinging. But I think the 00 might be tuned. It has more power then my 08 5.3l did when it was stock. the 08 is rated at 20 more hp then the 00.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #39
mynetdude

Quote:
In ny you have to advertise both prices by law. I only use Sunoco. cant go wrong with them. Kwik Fill if i cant get to a sunoco. 93 but i have a ss. try some 93 if you can get it. dont know about the v6 but I always got better mileage with 93 on my v8 Silverados. my 08 got 2mpg better so it broke even on the price. Then i just tuned it for 93. on my 00 it will ping with 87 going up steep hills. I run 93 in it and it stopped pinging. But I think the 00 might be tuned. It has more power then my 08 5.3l did when it was stock. the 08 is rated at 20 more hp then the 00.
I think its federal law they have to advertise both prices; and they DO the catch is credit card prices are on a board that's not lit up or not where you'd expect it to be, etc etc (of course this is just MY opinion) so far I have only found ONE gas station that does this in my town, it won't be long before the rest do.

I tried premium (I think we can only get 91 here, I need to double check) we can only get 87, 89 and 91 could be wrong.

I have an '06 Ridgeline I use 87 in it; did a trial run using premium and I don't get better mpg at least not in the city I don't I haven't tried it on the highway long distance yet but here's the thing the OM says I need to use premium only when towing but even that doesn't make a difference (well yeah I do see a MPG drop with both 87 and premium when towing and the drop is about the same).

maybe I should dump some seafoam in the '06 Honda????
Old 03-13-2014, 02:15 AM   #40
millatime84

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/IOM
Quote:
O boy, so much wrong with this.You can't just pay to be on the list. You have to be all in meaning that every gas station has to meet the top tier spec. For the brands that don't have their own additive they typically double what is required by law.
millatime84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:18 AM   #41
JCunningham

so why is Sunoco not on it? I did post it as a question.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #42
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
You drive a V6, 87 octane is fine. I prefer Sunoco.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote