Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
definitely is nice and bright in there
Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
nice but i hope your not polishing by hand that would be pointless u really need the machine.. if you need a porter cable i have 2 might consider selling you one wit the thing for the pads
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
I am just going to do a quick polish by hand for now. The car is only 8 months old and still looks pretty good. The main point of this was to get a good coat of sealant and a good coat of wax over everything before driving it for the winter (it's a daily driver). I thought, well, while I've got it stripped down, I might as well give it a quick once over. Come spring I'll probably invest in a good machine. Thanks for the offer though!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Looks great!!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
This Weekend's Itinerary:
(Or as I like to Call It, 20 Steps to Success)

1. Wash Camaro (at touchless car wash)
2. Strip Wash Camaro (not what you think)
3. Clay Bar Camaro
4. Polish Camaro
5. Quick Seal Camaro
6. Glaze Camaro
7. Wax Camaro
8. Clean Windows of Camaro
9. Clay Bar Windows of Camaro
10. Glass Seal Windows of Camaro
11. Sweep Interior and Trunk of Camaro
12. Detail Interior of Camaro
13. Condition Vinyl/Plastic/Leather in Interior of Camaro
14. Wash Engine Bay of Camaro
15. Detail Engine Bay of Camaro
16. Wash Wheel Wells of Camaro
17. Quick Seal Wheel Wells of Camaro
18. Clean Exhaust of Camaro
19. Quick Seal Wheels of Camaro
20. Shine Tires of Camaro

Hopefully, when I'm finished, I'll still be able to lift my arms enough to take some pictures!

Adams Polishes FTW.
I'm sure the Product Pushers here love you.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
snymat68

Well, as it turns out, after washing and claying, and trying a vinegar/water solution.... I have water spot etching. It's my fault, I was using a touchless car was this summer since I was in an apt with no hose available. Now that I have a house, I'll be washing her myself from now on. Gotta test to see if my water is hard first though. With all product off the car and it sitting in the garage under the new lighting, the etching is very apparent. I hand polished a small section (took forever) and it seemed to help. Looks like I'll be investing in a polisher and some more product tonight. Poor wallet. I'll post some before/after pics when I get a chance. On the bright side, the factory orange peel should be greatly reduced! I guess this week will go down in history as my inductance into the OCDetailing group.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Well, as it turns out, after washing and claying, and trying a vinegar/water solution.... I have water spot etching. It's my fault, I was using a touchless car was this summer since I was in an apt with no hose available. Now that I have a house, I'll be washing her myself from now on. Gotta test to see if my water is hard first though. With all product off the car and it sitting in the garage under the new lighting, the etching is very apparent. I hand polished a small section (took forever) and it seemed to help. Looks like I'll be investing in a polisher and some more product tonight. Poor wallet. I'll post some before/after pics when I get a chance. On the bright side, the factory orange peel should be greatly reduced! I guess this week will go down in history as my inductance into the OCDetailing group.
Bummer about the water spots, but a machine polisher will indeed take care of them. You're on the right track there. Which machine are you thinking about?

The sickness...you've caught it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Yeah! I think this weekend introduced me to physically inducting myself into the OCDetailing group, I don't want my car to leave the garage. The paint is perfect, but I want to drive it so bad.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
snymat68

I'm gonna go with the Cyclo. Saw it demo'd at fest and have watched a bunch of videos. I think that's the one for me, at least for now. Plus I can buy it (and Adams products) locally, so it's convienient! Maybe next summer I'll use it on the '72 Beetle I restored and painted.
Aesthetic Mods
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
snymat68

Here's a pic I took the other night of all the stuff.
Attached Images

Aesthetic Mods
Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
snymat68

What started as a quick weekend wash and wax turned into this...
(Yeah, I'm a little bored at work today, so I decided to plan out the rest of the week.)
Attached Images

Aesthetic Mods
Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #26
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You, my friend, have the sickness. BAD!

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
snymat68

I never do anything half-a**ed. lol. I say do it right or don't bother. The good news is, I'm ahead of schedule. Now that I've got the hang of polishing, the other half of the car went pretty quick. Even had time to lay down the machine super sealant last night. That stuff goes on a lot faster than I thought it would! Actually took longer to remove it than apply it. Tonight we quick seal! (to paraphrase 300)
Aesthetic Mods
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #28
snymat68

Here's a couple pics I snapped on Saturday before the snow started flying.

TADA! Shiny!

Also, I got a cart for all my detailing stuff.
Attached Images

Aesthetic Mods