Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
actor2120

Drives: 2017 2SS Garnet Red Convertible
Question Muffler Delete Question

Hi everyone! I have a 2013 Camaro SS and want a muffler delete as an affordable way to make my car sound meaner than stock, but I'm not real familiar with how it works. Does a muffler delete just refer to the back 2 mufflers or also the one in the middle of the car? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
actor2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
It refers to the two suitcases in the rear of the car
I'm new to these cars too but I think the box in the middle is a resonated H pipe
Old 02-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
actor2120

Okay, I'll admit the reason I asked is because I went to a shop today and asked for a muffler delete. They deleted the back 2 mufflers and replaced the center car muffler with a Magnaflow muffler. It cost me about $500, and I honestly can't even tell much of a difference. Idling is still practically silent. Does anyone have any idea why?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Magnaflow mufflers are quite tone mufflers , lots of packing that eats up the sounds
Old 02-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
All I did on my L99 SS was delete the 2 rear mufflers with a Solo Axle Back kit.
Sounds great over the silent stock mufflers, and I wouldn't want it any louder.
IMO if the OP asked for a muffler delete set up, why was a new Magnaflow
muffler added? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by actor2120 View Post
Okay, I'll admit the reason I asked is because I went to a shop today and asked for a muffler delete. They deleted the back 2 mufflers and replaced the center car muffler with a Magnaflow muffler. It cost me about $500, and I honestly can't even tell much of a difference. Idling is still practically silent. Does anyone have any idea why?
Go back and get a refund.... I paid $100 for my muffler delete, and they did exactly that... deleted the mufflers off the stock exhaust and welded some 3 inch pipe ... sounded AMAZING, I was very pleased.

He basically replaced your stock suitcase muffler with a shiny, smaller suitcase muffler... that's why it sounds the way it does.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
actor2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Go back and get a refund.... I paid $100 for my muffler delete, and they did exactly that... deleted the mufflers off the stock exhaust and welded some 3 inch pipe ... sounded AMAZING, I was very pleased.

He basically replaced your stock suitcase muffler with a shiny, smaller suitcase muffler... that's why it sounds the way it does.
Did you delete both rear mufflers and the mid muffler as well?
Old 02-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by actor2120 View Post
Did you delete both rear mufflers and the mid muffler as well?
Yep, both of them along with the resonator.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...86&postcount=4
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
What happened op was he deleted your mufflers.....then they removed the stock resonator.....without talking to you first. He then replaced your stock res with a magnaflow resonated x pipe.....or he really did just install a magnaflow muffler. Either way.....the magnaflow muffler or resonated x pipe they installed will really quite down your exhaust. They should have left the stock one on because its auctually louder then the magnaflow. I think you got hosed on this.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
If you are all stock on your exhaust system then a muffler delete alone will give you a nice tone. Once you mess with the resonator and cats, you will increase your volume/drone which means you will then have to get mufflers of some sort. I'm looking to do a delete and have had prices from $120-160. Once spring rolls around, it's my next mod... Also keep in mind if your L99 (automatic) you will start to hear your AFM kicking in-out which sounds like loud farts. A Range will keep your engine in v8 mode all of the time because it disables your AFM... or you can get a tune.

joe...
Old 02-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #11
partlowr

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
If his car is an auto might it be the electronics playing with things? I've heard that autos with any sort of exhaust don't sound much better than stock until you get a tune to turn off all the electronics garbage....just a thought
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
actor2120

Quote:
Yep, both of them along with the resonator.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...86&postcount=4
Is it so loud that it would piss off my neighbors?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
What happened op was he deleted your mufflers.....then they removed the stock resonator.....without talking to you first. He then replaced your stock res with a magnaflow resonated x pipe.....or he really did just install a magnaflow muffler. Either way.....the magnaflow muffler or resonated x pipe they installed will really quite down your exhaust. They should have left the stock one on because its auctually louder then the magnaflow. I think you got hosed on this.
This.

They didn't need to touch the resonator, doing a standard muffler delete and welding new pipe in place should have been roughly $100 (depending on where you live). I'd honestly take it back and tell him you want the resonator replaced and to undo the new mufflers he put on and make it nothing but straight pipe from the axle back, that is a true muffler delete. Sounds like he threw his opinion in where it wasn't wanted/needed, charged you quite a bit for it, and left you unhappy.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #14
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Yea i've heard the magnaflows are pretty quiet... Also, the cats have a lot to deal with your sound as well so if you wanted it to be louder you could get some High flow cats, and if you really want some noise, some Long Tube headers.
ARrado15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, chevrolet, delete, muffler, question