Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
fastgun

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
1 mph over can get you a ticket if they want to give you one. In my neck of the woods they will not pull you over until you are about 10 over the limit. I have found if you are nice and respectful, they will more than likely warn you if you are not doing something completely stupid. Be a butt to them and you will most definitely get a ticket. 5 mph over will probably get dismissed if you play nice.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
I've actually heard from family and friends who are cops/police chiefs that they won't pull you over unless your doing 10 because it is a waste of time and money for the courts and it isn't worth it to them

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Thanks Rohdeo and bb, that does shed some light on the situation. And yes, for God's sake Memphis just finish the damn road work!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Just keep in mind that if you go to court (and the officer shows up) he will certainly say that he clocked you at 61 but he only wrote you up for 5 over because he was giving you a break. Not that you still couldn't beat it, but it puts you on the spot. That is a common tactic here. The cops just want to raise revenue. They only write you up for 5 over or sometimes even for a non-moving violation like impeding traffic. Those lesser offenses won't affect your insurance so most people don't fight it.

I think it varies by state, so I would check if 5 mph results in points on your license or not. If not, your insurance will most likely not be affected. If you go to court I would expect the officer to be there. This 'construction' area sounds like a speed trap to me, and there will probably be a whole line of people in court. There sure was both times I fought speeding tickets. It was amazing how fast they settled each case. It became very clear that it was a well oiled money making machine.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Just keep in mind that if you go to court (and the officer shows up) he will certainly say that he clocked you at 61 but he only wrote you up for 5 over because he was giving you a break. Not that you still couldn't beat it, but it puts you on the spot. That is a common tactic here. The cops just want to raise revenue. They only write you up for 5 over or sometimes even for a non-moving violation like impeding traffic. Those lesser offenses won't affect your insurance so most people don't fight it.

I think it varies by state, so I would check if 5 mph results in points on your license or not. If not, your insurance will most likely not be affected. If you go to court I would expect the officer to be there. This 'construction' area sounds like a speed trap to me, and there will probably be a whole line of people in court. There sure was both times I fought speeding tickets. It was amazing how fast they settled each case. It became very clear that it was a well oiled money making machine.
Wisdom BOMB!!! Haha, I love it, you make lots of sense to me.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
I got a ticket earlier this year on Houston Levee doing 60 in a 45 by two moto Cops using Lidar. They were riding opposite direction and talking up a storm when I went past. They took a second to turn around. No traffic around me or them either. I tried to get it dropped in court, but Shelby County Sheriff's rarely drop tickets for me. City police do all the time for me.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #22
GoldCartridgeGamer

Also, I never do 45mph on that stretch of 240 and blow by cops all the time.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
I've actually heard from family and friends who are cops/police chiefs that they won't pull you over unless your doing 10 because it is a waste of time and money for the courts and it isn't worth it to them
I've heard same.

How to hug your camaro
Old 07-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Hmmm, the LEO, According to the OP, said you were doing 61 in a 45 mph construction zone. I would pay the fine and move along in life.

Sorry guys, but the LEO was pretty generous in issuing a ticket for only 5 mph over. That ain't chicken sh*t, that's being pretty generous.

Trust me, my family has had their share of interesting contretemps with the Police. Some of which were pretty darn silly. But, that's not something for discussion here.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Definitely fight it.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
To why we need to traffic officers - please remember they are not the bad guy, they are doing their job and if you're polite they will most likely give you a break like he did. No matter how inconvenient slow speed limits are you still have to obey them. Especially while in a sporty car like a Camaro that is major prey for tickets.

A good portion of the highway north of me is under construction and has been in parts for years. Speed limit is at 60mph. Took the Camaro on a road trip and had to go through it, just got in the right lane and did exactly 60mph. Others were flying past me and got pulled over by hidden cops. Just not worth the money, time and aggravation to deal with a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
Pretty sure court costs are court costs, I've never been to court but think that's the whole point of court costs lol
Old 07-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Hmmm, the LEO, According to the OP, said you were doing 61 in a 45 mph construction zone. I would pay the fine and move along in life.

Sorry guys, but the LEO was pretty generous in issuing a ticket for only 5 mph over. That ain't chicken sh*t, that's being pretty generous.

Trust me, my family has had their share of interesting contretemps with the Police. Some of which were pretty darn silly. But, that's not something for discussion here.
I'm with you. First, wee if it will put points on your license, which in GA it would not. Two, See how much the fine is. Three, compare the fine to the time missed at work and the hassle. The last ticket I got for 5 over was only like $40 dollars. I just paid it and went on, and it cost me no points on my license. I have much bigger fish to fry!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
You are lucky that he didn't give you the complete ticket for 61 in a 45 MPH construction zone. They have those speed limits because so many highway workers are killed while just trying to do their job.
Those of you that say the blow through those zones without slowing down better think it over. Most construction zones also have a while workers are present stipulation for slowing down. So if they are working SLOW DOWN! They may have families at home.

Closed Thread