Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #29
LS7 Apex
Z/28

Drives: Z/28
Considering the tire options for the Z28 can be interesting, and tough.

Being familiar with tire brands help when later it becomes realized "series" tires vary in dimension by brand. The aesthetics of the car are too important. Closely comparing all widths, even between alternate series tires helps get what is desired.

Having used the RE11s on other platforms, knowing how narrow they are helped. 305s are too narrow for the Z28 wheels if the correct look and protection is needed. A square setup was also desired. The 325/30s RE11s have everything to offer. Compare them with the stock Trofeos and notice very minor increases in actual dimensions.

Also... concisely, performance oriented driving with street use, RE11s are a great option. Long lasting performers on the street, where performance track driving is minimal, MPSS.

LS7 Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #30
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247 Z28 View Post
Considering the tire options for the Z28 can be interesting, and tough.

Being familiar with tire brands help when later it becomes realized "series" tires vary in dimension by brand. The aesthetics of the car are too important. Closely comparing all widths, even between alternate series tires helps get what is desired.

Having used the RE11s on other platforms, knowing how narrow they are helped. 305s are too narrow for the Z28 wheels if the correct look and protection is needed. A square setup was also desired. The 325/30s RE11s have everything to offer. Compare them with the stock Trofeos and notice very minor increases in actual dimensions.

Also... concisely, performance oriented driving with street use, RE11s are a great option. Long lasting performers on the street, where performance track driving is minimal, MPSS.

Yeah man. Looks right too. It's that 325 all around?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #31
LS7 Apex
Z/28

Yea, 325/30 all around.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #32
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Yea, 325/30 all around.
Can't we get a few more shots?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #33
LS7 Apex
Z/28

Absolutely.

There's enjoyment from saying the Z28 has 325s squared up, truly, but the dimensions of the RE11 have it in the 305-315 range. Its how they are. Knowing this tire helped. Compare all the specs of each tire and see how overlapping occurs in the specs with series up and down. Other 325s can be such large tires.

Last edited by LS7 Apex; 05-01-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:27 AM   #34
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
FYI, MPSC 2 tires are available for $474 here (305/30/19 XL 102Y). It's a pretty good price considering the pricing in other sites. FYI, this site also sells PSS tires for only $300 for the same price, if the intended use is street only.
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse....4727&pID=80246
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Absolutely.

There's enjoyment from saying the Z28 has 325s squared up, truly, but the dimensions of the RE11 have it in the 305-315 range. Its how they are. Knowing this tire helped. Compare all the specs of each tire and see how overlapping occurs in the specs with series up and down. Other 325s can be such large tires.
Thanks! That helped.

Unfortunately that's how Bridgestones are. Narrow.

Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #36
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Absolutely.

Thanks for posting. These are the tires I plan on buying once my stock tires are done. Did you drive with Trofeos at all? Just wondering about the difference in performance, feel,etc.
JUSTIFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #37
JUSTIFIED

For those of you who have driven on the street with Trofeos and then swapped to something else, did you notice much difference in tramlining, stiffness, etc. I actually like the way it handles with Trofeos, but will not put them back on due to price and short tread life. Am hoping that swapping tires doesn't dramatically change the feel of the car.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #38
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by utaeng96 View Post
For those of you who have driven on the street with Trofeos and then swapped to something else, did you notice much difference in tramlining, stiffness, etc. I actually like the way it handles with Trofeos, but will not put them back on due to price and short tread life. Am hoping that swapping tires doesn't dramatically change the feel of the car.
I had a very limited amount of time on the Trofeo. I will tell you it's a big difference. On the Trofeos it follows everything, two hands on the wheel! Lot of tire noise with Trofeos, this was to be expected.

I went to RE11's staggered and its different for sure. I can drive with one hand on the street. Tires don't need heated up at all, cold tires are ready to go on the street and the tire noise isn't bad.

Basically what made this car's reviews 'bad' was the tires. This is expected of any race tire. Simply putting a DW tire on the car makes it a completely streetable car IMO.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #39
LS7 Apex
Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by utaeng96 View Post
Thanks for posting. These are the tires I plan on buying once my stock tires are done. Did you drive with Trofeos at all? Just wondering about the difference in performance, feel,etc.
Yes, and on the street I think the car will be more enjoyable with the change. The Trofeos are a great tire but they require attention. PSI, temp, etc. (things important to manage with any tire) and Trofeos have an intended application really not suitable for the street. This becomes dangerous because typically the focus is on enjoying the car when street driving, not concentrating and focusing to the point of knowing the very last detail of your vehicle and setting fast times.

The RE11s should keep the Z28 very fun on the street with less worry, while staying a more than acceptable choice for HPDEs (unlike the MPSS, but they are great for mainly a street vehicle). Even straight line action should feel good with them. Of course if its cold outside they will have the same issues as any R compound tire and they are heavier tires than other options. The weight... if the car can be driven that fast either on the road course or strip where that weight matters, there are probably alternate tires for each event that the capable driver would want to have on the car (i.e. Trofeos or radials). That is all situation dependent. In this situation, we want dual purpose, not specific.

It is a fun game but getting everything out of one tire is not happening. The benefits are there... sidewalls are stiff, can handle wet days without many issues, and for how they perform, the tread will last awhile. Tramlining on the street is not greatly reduced. Expected really, tires are still wide. 305s up front will reduce that. Road noise is no different, nothing to care about with other enjoyable noises to here.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #40
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Yes, and on the street I think the car will be more enjoyable with the change. The Trofeos are a great tire but they require attention. PSI, temp, etc. (things important to manage with any tire) and Trofeos have an intended application really not suitable for the street. This becomes dangerous because typically the focus is on enjoying the car when street driving, not concentrating and focusing to the point of knowing the very last detail of your vehicle and setting fast times.

The RE11s should keep the Z28 very fun on the street with less worry, while staying a more than acceptable choice for HPDEs (unlike the MPSS, but they are great for mainly a street vehicle). Even straight line action should feel good with them. Of course if its cold outside they will have the same issues as any R compound tire and they are heavier tires than other options. The weight... if the car can be driven that fast either on the road course or strip where that weight matters, there are probably alternate tires for each event that the capable driver would want to have on the car (i.e. Trofeos or radials). That is all situation dependent. In this situation, we want dual purpose, not specific.

It is a fun game but getting everything out of one tire is not happening. The benefits are there... sidewalls are stiff, can handle wet days without many issues, and for how they perform, the tread will last awhile. Tramlining on the street is not greatly reduced. Expected really, tires are still wide. 305s up front will reduce that. Road noise is no different, nothing to care about with other enjoyable noises to here.

Thanks for the insight! You've had RE11s before - correct? How much mileage do you think you'll get out of them?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #41
LS7 Apex
Z/28

Yes a few sets. I never had a set through the entire tread life, although one set with 9k miles and mainly street use had more than half the life left. Expect a sure 20k miles out of the RE11s if launches, laying rubber, and track time are not excessive. Always depends on alignment, use, etc. but the RE11s will last.

If mileage is the priority need/ want out of the investment in tires, definitely go MPSS. They are another respected choice in tire. I do not want to seem as if my opinions are "RE11 is the everything of tires" but it will perform and should not disappoint.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #42
JUSTIFIED

Quote:
Yes a few sets. I never had a set through the entire tread life, although one set with 9k miles and mainly street use had more than half the life left. Expect a sure 20k miles out of the RE11s if launches, laying rubber, and track time are not excessive. Always depends on alignment, use, etc. but the RE11s will last.

If mileage is the priority need/ want out of the investment in tires, definitely go MPSS. They are another respected choice in tire. I do not want to seem as if my opinions are "RE11 is the everything of tires" but it will perform and should not disappoint.
Thanks!