Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Slips from 17Aug

Figured Id post this here so you guys that have more experience can tear me up and spit me back out. Keep in mind this is only the third time Iv had this car to the track and only the fourth time Iv ever taken anything down the track myself so any and all kinds of advice is welcome.

I tried putting them in order since their printer was wack and cut off most of the time, however the first two slips are flip flopped and the rest is in order.

Basically a stock SS M6 on stock tires (CAI, Hurst STS and a catback)
Car #271 (#251 on one of the slips)

First pass -I missed second gear, was able to recover from it half decently.
Second pass -I spun it in first and got a bit sideways before short shifting to second
*lowered my rear air pressure to 26psi and started doing slight burn out to clean the tires off*
Third pass-bogged at the start, killing my 60'. Check out that RT though

Fourth pass
- Snoozed a little at the light(compared to the rest of the night) but it went a lot better then all the prior passes, although I had some grinding going into 2nd and 3rd. The other car was a 5.0.

Fifth pass
-Jumped the light ever so slightly but a damn near identical pass, only zero grinding going into 2nd and 3rd. Personal best so far, even though its probably some of your guys' personal worst
Sixth pass-Jumped the gun again and had slight wheel spin and then out of no where I had some real nasty wheel hop when I shifted to 3rd. Other car was the same 5.0 from my 4th pass, I had to fallow him back to the staging lane and give him some props before I headed home after that run.

If you ain't red lighting, you ain't trying hard enough

Overall, I had some fun and met some awesome guys with some wicked cars. And glad that I am still improving each time I hit the track. Before friday night, my RT's were usually around .2xx-.3xx+. Took someones advice I read on here and just tunnel visioned on that third amber light and that really helped my RT's so damn much and got me my first perfect light. And I know my shifting needs work too, but im just not sure what im doing wrong.

I can't seem to find the sweet spot where I don't bog and I don't spin at the start. Track prep for 'Test & Tune' of course isn't that great anyways. I've been leaving the light at ~ 2300-2400rpm(based off sound, I should set a camera up to see what I actually leave at), seems like if I leave any higher then that its spin city. So maybe I should try hitting up the track for some bracket racing and see if I can get some better traction then. Or should I try to feather out the clutch a little bit more the higher rpm I leave at? My goal is to atleast get faster then a 13.300 by the end of fall, and I sure in hell can't do that with my 60' times.

Criticism is what im looking for here, be as brutal as you can

Last edited by Neumatic; 09-03-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
molsonbrador

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2018 Colorado
Nobody's gonna chew you up for having a good time at the track.
molsonbrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Work on those 60' times and you'll be in good shape.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Got to agree. As long as you're having fun, enjoy it. When you find the sweet spot on the launch you should be pushing that 5.0.

And nice light.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
Have you checked your clutch/break fluid Res? If it looks like used oil in there id swap it out...I had some grinding issues before and swapped it out and bam all those issues go away.. now I've just got into the habit of doing the fluid change every time I go to the track. Might help with that issue.

Otherwise keep at it, the more passes you make the more you learn the little quirks that make your car different from everyone else's and you will get faster and faster.

Like a few posts already said nobody is gonna chew you out for having a great time and enjoying your car.
SGT Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Neumatic

Thanks, I'll change out the fluid and see how that goes the next time at the track. It does have a similar color to it as used oil.

And I know no one is going to chew me out haha, I was just being a smart ass.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Neumatic

How much will drag radials help with traction? I have some, just been trying to find some cheap rims to mount them on. My Perelli's are at the end of their life and I plan on buying some all-season tires so figured I had better have some tires that I could take to the track.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
SGT Stretch

Drag radials will help immensely. You could go the route I did and find some C6 Z06 wheels. They are 18" and bolt right on with no spacer needed
Old 08-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Jayme

Drives: 2011 Corvette M6
Send a message via AIM to Jayme Send a message via Skype™ to Jayme
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Work on those 60' times and you'll be in good shape.
X2. Drag Radials would be a great help! Nice runs, having fun is paramount!
1998 Camaro SS A4 -Sold-
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 -Sold-
1995 Camaro Z28 A4 -Sold-
Bolt Ons Only: 12.74 @ 107mph/Heads & Cam: 11.95 @ 112mph
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Neumatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Stretch View Post
Drag radials will help immensely. You could go the route I did and find some C6 Z06 wheels. They are 18" and bolt right on with no spacer needed
Thats actually exactly what I have been looking for, looks like Im going to have to order some new replica's as I have yet to find any used ones. Next pay check perhaps, I just got my drive shaft loop today so Ill throw that on when I get the chance so I wont have to worry about that when I finally get some rims for my DR's.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
SGT Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumatic View Post
Thats actually exactly what I have been looking for, looks like Im going to have to order some new replica's as I have yet to find any used ones. Next pay check perhaps, I just got my drive shaft loop today so Ill throw that on when I get the chance so I wont have to worry about that when I finally get some rims for my DR's.
The loop is next on my list....better safe then sorry
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Neumatic

Agreed, although I have a feeling Ill grenade my diff before I drop a drive shaft
Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Neumatic

Slips from 2Sep

Went to Topeka (HPT) today with a few of my buddy's that took their cars to the Import Faceoff or what ever they called it. Was able to get in 10 runs of test and tune. Set a new personal best, it was 13.498 @ 107mph, Id say thats pretty good considering the DA was around 3450 at the time of the pass. Car #636

Last edited by Neumatic; 09-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Neumatic

Went to the track tonight, it was pretty rough all night minus my very first run and one or two others. Track prep was absolutely horrid, I couldn't even give it any throttle or I would spin the tires. My first pass I went 13.3 @ 110mph, which is my personal best now. Every run after that I got worst and worst until I was in the 14's, at that point I was just rolling out at the light and barely accelerating and still getting tire spin. I was invited to do some bracket racing but I turned it down, there is no way I would be able to dial in any where close enough on that track.

Thought it was going to be a good night after the first run but it didn't quite turn out that way. Had some fun though at least. Only time I have ever left the track early, it was to the point that it was too much of a hassle to go down the track half decently.