Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
camaro convert critiques criticized!

Hope the topics not misleading...

I've been a Camaro owner since the late 90s and am (trying to) patiently wait for the arrival of my 2SS vert. In the meantime, I browse the forums and I can't help but be overwhelmed by the number of shallow comments stating "don't like it" or "its too heavy" etc... so I figured this a good place to post my own thoughts rather than wasting someone elses thread.

First off- yes there is a weight difference? Im not really sure how much, but I just don't see the big deal. Its no difference than riding with a passenger (or 2) in a coupe. And when it really comes down to it- no matter what car you buy, or how much $ u put into it, someones gonna have something newer, faster and more expensive... I just don't get it!

And I know this is a personal preference, but I gotta believe most vert buyers will agree- we have.much better visions of our cars than sitting in line at a track, (personally, I invision driving around w a hot brunette in a bikini top in mine!) Although not that old, I've come to the conclusion long ago, that looks and comfort weigh in just as heavily as performance, so to me- the few tenths of a second performance I loose is well worth the topless cruises on the weekends.

And finally, "I don't like it"... really? That's necessary after reading it 3,000 times repeatedly?! I don't particularily like mayo, but I don't crash the miracle whip web site daily to tell them. Its great to have your opinion, and even share it (when asked)but to constantly jump forums to simply put "I don't like it" or "trunk lids ugly"... that's great for you, but we get it- and those of us buying verts- don't care that you don't like it! ( much like many won't care that I took the time to write this, but at least I didn't jack someone elses post to do it!)

So there's my peace. Coupe owners, I've drooled for 2 yrs in silence as u drove around while i patiently waited, now its my turn to bask in the joy, and I will be doing so topless, and loving every minute of it while u lurk in the shadows!
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Living in port st lucie you better have some good sunscreen to be riding topless. Also don't forget those hot leather seats when you walk out to the car from being in the store for 5 minutes. lol
I agree on the performance loss, unless your into going to the track it is all pointless. my only gripe about past camaro convertibles was whenever I saw one going highway speeds with the top up the roof filled up with air and it looked retarded like a balloon. I certainly hope that the 5th gen top rides flat when going fast unlike the 4th gen cars.....
Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
robertgss3
Super Bee

Drives: 2010 Camaro ABM and Sunrise Gold
Hello,

A polite and well stated position. I agree, if someone does not like something then they shouldn't keep telling others in a thread that is not asking them for that input.

Robert

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3271&pictureid=24300
robertgss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Beemer
"Red Rocket"

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
BTW: Mayo and Miracle Whip are not the same thing.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
LolatheSlush
I race in heels

Drives: V8 ss black
I don't know if this belongs here or not but i'm going to give my opinion anyway
i think the convertible is beautiful! i dont' care if its heavier than my 2010 coupe or not.. i would have traded my 2010 in a heartbeat IF the convertible were a hard top. i'm just not a fan of the soft top, i love it with the top down, but that's not enough for me.
LolatheSlush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post

Who cares ,we got an honest and fair opinion.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Gooch

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
To each their own. I think you run into a lot of people that performance is the only determining factor in "fun". Whatever is your idea of fun is only what matters. I personally love the lines on both the coupe and the vert camaro, lines look great top up or down.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Previous supercar history tells us that ultimate performance supports a lighter Coupe vs. a heavier Convertible, but "smiles per mile" may favor the droptop...

1970 HemiCuda Coupes = 800 +

1970 HemiCuda Converts = < 20...

As to decreasing inside air pressure when driving a Convert at higher speeds (roof "ballooning"), crack a side window about 1/2 an inch.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Mandog

Drives: 2011 RJT 1LT Vert
Drago77 - I couldn't have said it better. I bought a used Miata as a toy 6 years ago and fell in love with driving "topless". Being too small and stiff to commute 45 miles to work, I bought a 06 Solara convertible, as Volvos and Saabs are too expensive when you put 30K on a year, and I'm not a Chrysler or Ford man. I traded for an 08 Solara when I found out that was the last year they were making them to hold me over until the Camaros came out.

Even though I live in New England I would never own anything but a convertible again. If it's over freezing my top is down. I think it boils down to you either love convertibles (if you've ever owned one) or you don't. By the way my wife drives a SUV, and we still have the Miata, so I can drive the toy on the weekend and use the SUV when it snow.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
rharp

Drives: 2010 SVT Raptor/ 70 Chevelle SS 396
I DON'T LIKE IT......

JUST KIDDIN..........
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Everybody's a CRITIC! haha
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
I just Wish the Top came in "White"...like the 69 RS/SS Indy 500 pace car,but I'm happy to see a RagTop Camaro on the road soon..If I wanna go Toppless I'll drive my 66 Impala SS Ragtop for now....Long Live Chevrolet
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I thought the difference in weight was some 300ish pounds but I could be wrong.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Living in port st lucie you better have some good sunscreen to be riding topless. Also don't forget those hot leather seats when you walk out to the car from being in the store for 5 minutes. lol
I agree on the performance loss, unless your into going to the track it is all pointless. my only gripe about past camaro convertibles was whenever I saw one going highway speeds with the top up the roof filled up with air and it looked retarded like a balloon. I certainly hope that the 5th gen top rides flat when going fast unlike the 4th gen cars.....
I learned from my 99 to keep interior matching towels in the car- not the most appealing, but worked well for short stops where id leave the t-tops off in the sun. And I definitely agree about the balloon tops. Although I've seen several without that look, so I wonder if its just a maitenence (in which case im not worried) or a design issue?
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote