Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
weedwacker13

Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
Gen-V V8

Ok, so right now I am almost 19 years old. And so far I have wanted this car for over a year now. For me its the get a V8 or go home attitude. (nothing against the V6 group, it truly is a remarkable engine). Anyway, I have been saving my money as best I can, why keeping my truck on the road. I now have about $5,000 saved, and am trying to accelerate the rate that is going up.

Anyway, to get to the point how long does everyone think the LS3 is going to last. I remember reading threads a few months ago about the Gen V v8's that were supposed to come out around this time, (2009 or 2010) but have been put on the backburner. Im my opinion, this is the perfect time to come out with a new V8 with better gas mileage, and honestly if you need more than 426 hp, you probubly dont care to much about the mileage anyway (So give us less buck for the same bang) . So is it worth buying a used 5th gen V8 withing the next 2 or 3 years, or is GM going to bring out a new V8 possibly direct injection, that will blow the LS3 out of the water in efficency and power.

P.S. please dont remind me about insurance payments for a 20 or 21 year old, I already dread the day. (and I do work and pay for everything myself)
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Back when the first news came out, the Gen V V8s weren't going into production until 2011. We've seen contracts that prove that. And you know the trucks and the Corvette would be getting them first...the Camaro probably won't see one until at least 2012. And that's assuming they haven't been put on hold like you said.:(

Long story short, if you don't mind waiting another 4/5 years, then wait, otherwise don't hold your breath.

Also, the new engines probably won't be anymore powerful than the LS3. They'll most likely use the Direct Injection technology to increase efficiency and reduce emissions while maintaining current power levels in a smaller displacement motor. Think of a 5.3 or 5.7L 380horse, 25/26mpg Camaro or something...that's their goal, I believe. fwiw...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I'm very excited about the release of those engines. Does anyone know if they'll be pushrod or would they possibly be OHC?

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
weedwacker13

Drives: 1990 isuzu trooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Also, the new engines probably won't be anymore powerful than the LS3. They'll most likely use the Direct Injection technology to increase efficiency and reduce emissions while maintaining current power levels in a smaller displacement motor. Think of a 5.3 or 5.7L 380horse, 25/26mpg Camaro or something...that's their goal, I believe. fwiw...
Thats what Im hoping for, more efficency, same power, anyway 4-5 years seems like a long time to wait, and Im more than happy with the LS3.

Thanks for the reply.
weedwacker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
I'm very excited about the release of those engines. Does anyone know if they'll be pushrod or would they possibly be OHC?
No idea. There's conflicting info leading to BOTH. That is, some variants with ohv, and others with ohc. But that doesn't make any sense...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I remember reading an article where a manufacturer (GM, I think...) was using electronic actuators to open and close the valves, eliminating the need for valvetrains that we see now; all controlled by the engine controller. I don't know that the article was saying that was Gen V technology but I think, from what we've seen, that it'll be what Dragon' has posted. It was a cool article though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I remember reading an article where a manufacturer (GM, I think...) was using electronic actuators to open and close the valves, eliminating the need for valvetrains that we see now; all controlled by the engine controller. I don't know that the article was saying that was Gen V technology but I think, from what we've seen, that it'll be what Dragon' has posted. It was a cool article though.
I've seen articles for Ford working towards this as well .. if done right it could be a very very cool thing .... Tune to the application needed

Crowley
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Back when the first news came out, the Gen V V8s weren't going into production until 2011. We've seen contracts that prove that. And you know the trucks and the Corvette would be getting them first...the Camaro probably won't see one until at least 2012. And that's assuming they haven't been put on hold like you said.:(

Long story short, if you don't mind waiting another 4/5 years, then wait, otherwise don't hold your breath.

Just brainstorming here, but would it not be easier for GM to just take the 3..6 liter direct injection 300 hp motor, and make a 8 cyl variant of it? By my calculations it would be 4.8 liter and 400 hp. A bit more elaborate, but possible would be a V10 version at 6 liters and 500 hp (great for the ZO6, and then detune it to for truck applications).
Just brainstorming here, but it seems GM needs great technology, while at the same time, needs to watch its R&D budgets.

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I may or may not get a gen V 5th gen. Depends on when it comes out. I will be ready to buy my car in 2011 or so. I might wait 1 MY for that engine but no more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Just brainstorming here, but would it not be easier for GM to just take the 3..6 liter direct injection 300 hp motor, and make a 8 cyl variant of it? By my calculations it would be 4.8 liter and 400 hp. A bit more elaborate, but possible would be a V10 version at 6 liters and 500 hp (great for the ZO6, and then detune it to for truck applications).
Just brainstorming here, but it seems GM needs great technology, while at the same time, needs to watch its R&D budgets.
That would (sorta) work with a 90 degree V6. Not so much with a 60 degree.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I may or may not get a gen V 5th gen. Depends on when it comes out. I will be ready to buy my car in 2011 or so. I might wait 1 MY for that engine but no more.

That would (sorta) work with a 90 degree V6. Not so much with a 60 degree.
Yeah; wasn't that the case with the 4.3 - it was a 5.7 with two cylinders lopped off? It needed balance shafts (which it eventually got) but that makes total sense.

I also remember reading about a stillborn V10 based off an LS1 that made boatloads more power that the 454 truck engine (even the 496 later.)

If I have a choice, later, between an FI Gen IV or a NA Gen V, I think I would go toward the Gen IV. I'm all about the brute power and if it takes the Gen IV to get me that, that's the direction I'll go. It will be an interesting next few years in so many ways

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
One more reason I'm glad I have to wait for the 2012 MY... possibilities of a new GEN V beast. I remember reading an article where it was pushing 450 horses in an Escalade.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoya View Post
it better be pushrod... sorry just don't want any OHC/DOHC. i'll stick with the legendary pushrod small block v8, best engine ever made.

just my opinion.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #13
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
From a strictly performance-oriented perspective, I would be excited about the new technology if I wasn't so concerned about the lost aftermarket. If they start the Generation V too soon, then some aftermarket support for the previous Camaro platform will be diverted, resulting in a strongly supported 2005 to 2009 Mustang and a somewhat supported Camaro. Don't get me wrong. I think that the Camaro will make a splash regardless of when the Generation V is released. I just think that companies will focus on the new technology, leaving those behind that are using the old technology. This is exactly what happened when Cobalt LS and LT owners with the e16a ECM were abandoned by such companies as HPTuners because a new ECM was implemented. The 2007 tune was created long before the 2005 tune, and many tuners traded their Cobalts rather than waiting any longer than the 2 years they had already waited.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Wouldn't that improve Horsepower as a result as well, less loss, like getting a lighter UDP, getting rid of power steering, A/C, etc.