Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #71
cjwa20

Drives: Black 2SS Camaro
So dumb that long tubes are illegal even though they burn cleaner. Smog is another way of stopping people from having to much horsepower on the roads. It's crap I hate this state.
cjwa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #72
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwa20 View Post
So dumb that long tubes are illegal even though they burn cleaner. Smog is another way of stopping people from having to much horsepower on the roads. It's crap I hate this state.
Agreed, but Mindz has said that a bill has passed in California that may eliminate the sniffer test and only go through your cars computer to check "smog". When they will implement who knows; especially with the states current financial situation. This would allow long tube headers as long as all your sensors are correct, or so it seems.

Remember you have 5-6 years after your new car is purchased before you're required to do another smog test unless you sell your vehicle to my understand. So you could switch back to stock, pass smog, and switch back. A lot of work, but it is 5-6 year away
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #73
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Agreed, but Mindz has said that a bill has passed in California that may eliminate the sniffer test and only go through your cars computer to check "smog". When they will implement who knows; especially with the states current financial situation. This would allow long tube headers as long as all your sensors are correct, or so it seems.

Remember you have 5-6 years after your new car is purchased before you're required to do another smog test unless you sell your vehicle to my understand. So you could switch back to stock, pass smog, and switch back. A lot of work, but it is 5-6 year away
My understanding is that they will still be doing a visual and the reason why long tubes are banned is because the second or post cat oxygen sensor gets moved from its original position which is not allowed.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
My understanding is that they will still be doing a visual and the reason why long tubes are banned is because the second or post cat oxygen sensor gets moved from its original position which is not allowed.
So you would still fail since they do visual? Lame.. Guess I will be doing shorties.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #75
cjwa20

Quote:
So you would still fail since they do visual? Lame.. Guess I will be doing shorties.
Yes you will fail because of a visual. Actually that is all they do on the diesel trucks in CA. They failed my dads truck because he had a wiring harness in his engine bay that went to his tuner chip. They told him they didn't see it and he needs to remove it before they see it. Lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #76
cjwa20

Quote:

Or move up into the Sonora Jamestown area in the mountains and there is no smog laws because they are above the mountain range so the smog doesn't get stuck in the valley. I want to buy a piece of crap house up there and register my car to it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #77
JoeyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have:
limo tint on windows
Lindar Front & Rear Jammers (switched, a big must!)
Brake light bypass switch.
No front Lic. Plate
AR Headers with Bolra cat-backs
Wheel well lights & blue Halos

And only get hasseled when racing around and they can't catch me in the act.
Actually had one A-hole CHP tell me he was gonna impound my car if he saw me with the tint on again. I told him he'll have to catch me first, he was pissed and made both tint ticket & front LP NON- correctable infractions.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #78
Knightmare

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
I have:
Brake light bypass switch.
What do you use this for?

If you see a cop and you're speeding, or you see you're getting lasered you switch it and hit the brakes without drawing attention to the fact you're hitting your brakes?

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #79
JoeyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
What do you use this for?

If you see a cop and you're speeding, or you see you're getting lasered you switch it and hit the brakes without drawing attention to the fact you're hitting your brakes?
yep, for when they're coming up behind you.
Just have to remember to turn it back on or someones gonna be towing a ride in your trunk.

oh yea also just got a vanity plate that is VERY hard for someone to remember if they are trying to call you in.
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 PM   #80
The Shadoww
Black on Black on Black

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LS
Send a message via Skype™ to The Shadoww
I talked to a cop and he told me the Tint on my tail lights, grille lighting, and window tint are illegal but said that they really on use that as a way to pull suspicious people over. Also, i was pulled over yesterday and received a double ticket and the cop looked right at my red grille lighting and didn't say anything. And no, he was not letting me of easy.
Just a head up.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #81
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black On Black On Black View Post
I talked to a cop and he told me the Tint on my tail lights, grille lighting, and window tint are illegal but said that they really on use that as a way to pull suspicious people over. Also, i was pulled over yesterday and received a double ticket and the cop looked right at my red grille lighting and didn't say anything. And no, he was not letting me of easy.
Just a head up.
What did he write you up for?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #82
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black On Black On Black View Post
I talked to a cop and he told me the Tint on my tail lights, grille lighting, and window tint are illegal
The tint shop should have told you that - unless you did it yourself?

That's a drag about the tickets.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #83
hoekdup

Drives: 68 f-body 383 stroker
Quote:
Radar Detectors
  • Radar Detectors are in fact legal in California.

The only states where Radar Detectors are illegal to my knowledge is Washington D.C. and Virginia (Thanks monstertodd). They are also illegal on Military Installations/bases (Thanks cplabaunza) , which is most likely a federal offense if caught (that means a big fine).

In my Army experience, I had front gate guards advise that radar detectors are illegal on Federal Installations, and that I was advised to remove it on Post. Some guards don't notice it at all or don't say anything. I have been pulled over three times on base. Only once did an MP notice my detector, he advised that it was illegal on post and that if i disconnected the detector this would only serve as a verbal warning. He then informed me that the next time it would be a small infraction with a small fine. Its only illegal to operate a radar detector on a military base. It also seems that it just depends on the observation skills of the MP

Radar Jammers
  • Radar Jammers are illegal in California (Thanks Silver2SSRS6spd)

Radar Jammers are illegal on a federal level because they violate FCC guidelines.

Laser or LiDar jammers are illegal to operate and sell in California. But Lidar jammers are usually very discreet and double as parking sensors so they are extremely easy laws to get around.

^^ btw, i happen to know where to find these if anyone wants one.

Hope that helps
hoekdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #84
MikeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoekdup View Post
Radar Jammers are illegal on a federal level because they violate FCC guidelines.

Laser or LiDar jammers are illegal to operate and sell in California. But Lidar jammers are usually very discreet and double as parking sensors so they are extremely easy laws to get around.

^^ btw, i happen to know where to find these if anyone wants one.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the information, I updated the sticky