Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
SOLO HFC install questions

I just installed the SOLO HFCs (a shop installed the SOLO exhaust system previously) and I have one problem that I may just live with and could use a second opinion on. The driver side cat butted up nicely to the exhaust system; however, is a 1/2" gap between the passenger side cat and exhaust. I also had to push the exhaust upwards with a fair amount of force to marriage the two pipes together. For now I just bridged the 1/2" gap with the exhaust clamp. The x-pipe is already too close to the passenger side tunnel wall to move the exhaust over. Do you think the clamp is sufficient or should I have a piece welded onto the exhaust pipe? I have also considered unmounting the exhaust system and trying to move up the whole system but I am not sure if this will work as the driver side is flush.

Any suggestions would be helpful! thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
When I had the HFC installed, it was done by solo. They did undo my whole system to align correctly. There were no gaps that I saw. It was about 1hour of shifting and moving. Plus I'm a vert which was even tighter because of the undercarriage braces.
When I went SC I removed the HFCs and reinstalled the oem cats due to temp issues and at this time I wrestled with alignment for at least a couple hours.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
When I had the HFC installed, it was done by solo. They did undo my whole system to align correctly. There were no gaps that I saw. It was about 1hour of shifting and moving. Plus I'm a vert which was even tighter because of the undercarriage braces.
When I went SC I removed the HFCs and reinstalled the oem cats due to temp issues and at this time I wrestled with alignment for at least a couple hours.
Ok - I will probably unbolt the exhaust and play with things - also, what kind of heat issues did you have? would installing heat shielding help?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The heat issues are due to his supercharger. Aftermarket cats don't seem to play well with the extra exhaust heat generated by the supercharger and they have been shown to collapse over time. The stock cats, while a bit more restrictive, seem to hold up better to the heat from a supercharger.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The heat issues are due to his supercharger. Aftermarket cats don't seem to play well with the extra exhaust heat generated by the supercharger and they have been shown to collapse over time. The stock cats, while a bit more restrictive, seem to hold up better to the heat from a supercharger.
Thanks - I should have figured that out I don't plan on supercharging so I shouldn't have any problems
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
No, you shouldn't. I loved the HFCs and the whole solo exhaust. Good luck, just take your time and things will line up.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Hey Cliffdog, How hard/ easy was the install. Did you do it yourself, ramps, jack stands, or full stocked garage? This is my next mod, I'm just wondering if I'll need a day or a weekend. I've already installed a few exhaust with ramps and jacks in my parking lot. Thanks in advance...
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
cliffdog89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Hey Cliffdog, How hard/ easy was the install. Did you do it yourself, ramps, jack stands, or full stocked garage? This is my next mod, I'm just wondering if I'll need a day or a weekend. I've already installed a few exhaust with ramps and jacks in my parking lot. Thanks in advance...
I created a DIY post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344024 I also link to a couple other threads that have pictures etc.

If you have any additional questions or anything is not clear I would be happy to explain. You should be able to do it on a set of ramps - it will be a little more challenging but doable.