Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I)

Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
Lessons Learned from C5Fest I (Planning for C5FII)

I know there is a lot to read through in the C5 Fest II Thread, but there is a lot of good information that needs highlighting so the Mods can evaluate the pros and cons of the 2010 event, and improve the 2011 Event in planning.

Please provide some good comments to any portion (positive/negative) of your experience, the planning or the execution of the 2010 CamaroFest Event in Valdosta.

I'm sure there are more comments in some othere threads, maybe consolidate yours here. Intelligent responses are welcomed. Please continue to use the C5 Fest II Thread for location preferences and opinion battles (MidWest vs. West).

Some comments from the C5FII Thread:

1. ...a real road track for the next Fest (Blade)

2. We make it a two or three day event... (PQ)

3. The only kink I really see is having the event 30 miles from the host city can be confusing. Also if the event gets bigger, I don't think the Holiday Inn can handle all the cars. I know once the first two hotels were booked, I ended up staying 2 miles away, which kinda seperated us. (MarylandSpeed)

4. And make it a 3 day event at least; All that build up and hype for 6 months then it seemed like a couple of blinks of an eye and it was over; just like that. (Doc)

5. I know it's more for the organizers to do but it might help to break up the track days into 2 separate days with that many cars; have one day be a vendor, modders, show car day; then the last day for bbq, drinks, socializing and just hangin out with each other. (Doc)

6. Is it going to be in spring again? I know a bunch of people wanted to go
but couldn't because of school or because their kids were still in school. (FenwickHockey65)

Response to 6. (DGthe3) - Yeah, April is a bad time for college/university students. Early May would work out better, right between the end of exams and going to work.

7. One thing that was a disappointment to me was the fact that the Saturday night track party didn't happen. I'm not sure what happened there but it was one of the main events where everyone would come together in one place and socialize. Let's make sure that our main socializing activity happens next year! (Abygale)

8. [Slightly OTP] Big Picture thoughts from (speedster)

9. If the decision is made for a west coast location in 2011, then I would recommend scheduling the event in March for cooler weather. Ideally, 55 - 65 degree weather would be much more beneficial for our cars and our skin. (Mod4SS)

10. The only feedback I would have for SGMP for future events is to 'staff up' at the opening gate for the first hour...other than that...that facility had their 'stuff' together! (themossman)

11. one would be to do a two day event (Friday & Saturday) and the other would be to do away with the road course or make it smaller and expand the Vendor area and have everyone parked on the asphault. IMO there wasn't enough room for the Vendors to really show their stuff and most of the cars had to park out in the grass area. (fcu678)

12. Many people quoted having family obligations and kids in school. It is easier to bring the whole family and make a vacation out of it in the summer when kids are out of school. The turnout will be better which will effect vendor sales and local establishment profits. (edog)
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
I will give my suggestions as well. These are all really good ones and I think the weekend went GREAT for the first one...

#1. Have it at the same place! PERIOD. The more you move, its like starting over. You can't improve things if you are moving every year and starting over. Sorry west coasters, drive, fly... whatever but DO NOT MOVE THE VENUE every year.

#2. Have someone local in charge of relations with the local businesses. I wont point names but we had a huge caravan stopping at Summit and the person who was supposed to take car of letting them know... didnt. Luckily at the last minute someone who lives in ATL notified themand they threw soemthing together. Somoene need to notify the local restaurants. I know Outback wa CRAWLING with Camaros and no one told them we'd be there.

#3 Release the infromation publically and open the gates for spectators. SGMP would have raked it in if the locals knew what was going on.

#4 If the SGMP is used again, relocate the "Vendor Area" to the HUGE parking lot between the strip and the Auto-X. Give people somehting to walk through on their way between the two events. Having the vendors in the south corner made them out of the way. Use the south area as parking and for the large competitors paddock area.

#5 I think the amount of time was pretty good. Friday at the hotel was fun and one full day at the track wa enough for me and most in my group.

#6 Having the track 15 miles away was OK. I enjoyed the morning drive but I went early and beat the traffic. I was right in. SGMP needed more help at the gates come starting time!

#7 May/June... may be better. Any later in GA and its too humid and cars are going to run like crap.

Remember... you can NEVER... EVER please everyone. Make it annual, same place. All large shows are at the same place. Sure there are people that can't make. Oh well, it happens.

Keep the idea coming...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
WildOne
the "crazy cat" lady

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Blk Vrt
For those of us who were overly excited and did not bring any info or computer with us it would have been nice to have a printout of events/times available at the host hotel. Either on a message board or individual pages that people can take with them. It should have info as to when and where events are going to be held.

Also a multi day event would be nice so you don't have to try to cram everything in in one day especially if you are having an install on your car and it is held up for awhile.
WildOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
I will give my suggestions as well. These are all really good ones and I think the weekend went GREAT for the first one...

#1. Have it at the same place! PERIOD. The more you move, its like starting over. You can't improve things if you are moving every year and starting over. Sorry west coasters, drive, fly... whatever but DO NOT MOVE THE VENUE every year.

#2. Have someone local in charge of relations with the local businesses. I wont point names but we had a huge caravan stopping at Summit and the person who was supposed to take car of letting them know... didnt. Luckily at the last minute someone who lives in ATL notified themand they threw soemthing together. Somoene need to notify the local restaurants. I know Outback wa CRAWLING with Camaros and no one told them we'd be there.

#3 Release the infromation publically and open the gates for spectators. SGMP would have raked it in if the locals knew what was going on.

#4 If the SGMP is used again, relocate the "Vendor Area" to the HUGE parking lot between the strip and the Auto-X. Give people somehting to walk through on their way between the two events. Having the vendors in the south corner made them out of the way. Use the south area as parking and for the large competitors paddock area.

#5 I think the amount of time was pretty good. Friday at the hotel was fun and one full day at the track wa enough for me and most in my group.

#6 Having the track 15 miles away was OK. I enjoyed the morning drive but I went early and beat the traffic. I was right in. SGMP needed more help at the gates come starting time!

#7 May/June... may be better. Any later in GA and its too humid and cars are going to run like crap.

Remember... you can NEVER... EVER please everyone. Make it annual, same place. All large shows are at the same place. Sure there are people that can't make. Oh well, it happens.

Keep the idea coming...
I honestly couldn't say anything better, I would like a little more time though, I look back and hate that I didn't get to meet more people.
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Ssmokes

Drives: 1969 Hugger Orange/2010 IOM/2006 HD
I agree with making this a two day event. One day for racing/car show and the other day for just hanging out. I live 25 miles from Effingham Illinois where they have Corvette Fun Fest every year. It is a 2 day event. The last night of the event is just hanging out and enjoying all of the cars. One big draw to this event is a band on Saturday night. REO Speedwagon played two years ago and Survivor last year. I think everybody would enjoy a little more chill time with your favorite beverage and hanging out with the coolest people and coolest cars on the planet. I would like to say job well done for all of those involved with the first Fest.
Ssmokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
68 Z/28
Father Time

Drives: 1967 Malibu / 2002 Caddy DTS
Send a message via Yahoo to 68 Z/28
Knowing that there were some major glitches and that Chris ( GTA ) virtually had to start completely over at a very late date in the organizing the event I think it was a really big Miracle that the event happened at all and he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for pulling it together , sure there are things that could have gone better and I am sure that the next one will be better planned , but I think it's rather useless to complain about what should have been done , when all in all it was an excellent event that was really pulled together last minute because of some unforeseen circumstances . I don't think anyone could have done any better and am thankful it happened at all .

Just my .02

Thank You Chris

68 Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If they knew it was going to be a C5 sponsored national event, I'm sure admin would have chosen a more accessible spot for everyone.... It started as a regional meet. Keeping it in Adel will alienate the LARGE majority of the west coast guys, and there are lots of them.

Summit knew you were coming, who said they didn't? I spoke with them twice myself.... Even called them that same morning.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Rookie13
Hooked on AutoX

Drives: 1SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Rookie13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Z/28 View Post
Knowing that there were some major glitches and that Chris ( GTA ) virtually had to start completely over at a very late date in the organizing the event I think it was a really big Miracle that the event happened at all and he deserves a tremendous amount of credit for pulling it together , sure there are things that could have gone better and I am sure that the next one will be better planned , but I think it's rather useless to complain about what should have been done , when all in all it was an excellent event that was really pulled together last minute because of some unforeseen circumstances . I don't think anyone could have done any better and am thankful it happened at all .

Just my .02

Thank You Chris
Father Time,

NO doubt about it there were some major hurdles that were overcome to pull off a hell of a good time

However,

This is NOT a complain thread Sir. No matter how much time and energy is spent on time for an event, there is always room for critique and constructive criticism. That is how we learn. I tried not to make it to "Military" (Sorry been in the Army for 20 years now), but EVERYTHING should have an AAR. [After Action Review]

You as 'Father Time,' should know that.

This is a place to collectively provide valuable thoughts and comments for the event organizers to ponder on and discuss on their own accord to improve and continue their passion for putting on a hell-of-a-good-time.

Best.
Rookie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Mr Twisty

Kinda like sex... Even when it goes bad it's still pretty good

Would probably help to have some redundancy next time, if one man falls it won't leave so much slack.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
If they knew it was going to be a C5 sponsored national event, I'm sure admin would have chosen a more accessible spot for everyone.... It started as a regional meet. Keeping it in Adel will alienate the LARGE majority of the west coast guys, and there are lots of them.

Summit knew you were coming, who said they didn't? I spoke with them twice myself.... Even called them that same morning.
I was not referring to you. You were a great help along the way. Junkie was to contact them but when i spoke with someone who spoke to the manager about a week prior, he siad they had no idea whatever, it went over GREAT and Summit was totally prepared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
Father Time,

NO doubt about it there were some major hurdles that were overcome to pull off a hell of a good time

However,

This is NOT a complain thread Sir. No matter how much time and energy is spent on time for an event, there is always room for critique and constructive criticism. That is how we learn. I tried not to make it to "Military" (Sorry been in the Army for 20 years now), but EVERYTHING should have an AAR. [After Action Review]

You as 'Father Time,' should know that.

This is a place to collectively provide valuable thoughts and comments for the event organizers to ponder on and discuss on their own accord to improve and continue their passion for putting on a hell-of-a-good-time.

Best.
Ummm... what he said. No one is "complaining". Constructive criticism... maybe. Suggestion for improvement... absolutly. How else can things get better and bugs get worked out? Did GTA do a good job... hell no he didnt... he did an OUTSTANDING JOB! I think the weekend was great with no major glitches BUT there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Now that we have one under our belts we can learn from it.

As I said before... you will NEVER please everyone. If you move it way out west, you will lose the easterners. This is where it started, in GA... this is where it should stay.

I think when it comes to C5FII, there should be a poll and ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE AT LEAST 75% LIKELY to go. I bet you will see that SGMP will win. People like comfort. Now that they have been there, they are comfortable with the area... they know where the food is, the car washes, hell... I know where the mall and Old Navy is... Its just easier to keep it at the same spot.

This is coming from someone in Ohio so I had to travel also but that was half the fun... 80+ car caravan!

Please, GTA and everyone else, dont take this as complaining... I bet very few people would have any "complaints" about the weekend!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
mpneil

Drives: 2010 SIM 2S & 99 Victory Red Camaro
same place for sure.. the parking situation could use tweeking.. includung the entrance/exiting procedures... like not having to drive through the road course.. just seemed like it was thrown together there was no real rhyme to the organization of it all.
"... here's the deal, I'm the best there is, plain and simple, I mean I wake up every morning and I pi$$ excellence, and nobody can hang with my stuff, uh, you know I'm just a, just a big hairy American winning machine, you ain't first, you're last, you know, what I'm talking about ... that phrase is trademarked and not to be used without the permission of Ricky Bobby Inc. ..." Talladega Nights
mpneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm new here, but not to the national meet type of things. On the one hand, I like a travelling show circuit. You mix it up a bit and experience new locales, but I also like the idea of return engagements. The "gathering" in Atlanta is more of the one location mecca of sorts. While nice, alternate locations can inject a little excitement.

If you plan on an annual event, then an alternative to same site every year is perhaps to alternate locations. This year it was in GA. Next, have it in say, Texas or northern Arizona or something. Then back to GA the next year, or PA then GA. This will still breed familiarity over the years and also give people choices, albeit limited. I'm just tossing it out as an idea to eventually try to get everyone a reasonable chance to enjoy a meet such as this.
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Mr Twisty

Wherever it's held, and whoever spearheads it, make sure Chris is the lead car in the next Camarovan, and the first in line for the dragstrip... He deserves it.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Wherever it's held, and whoever spearheads it, make sure Chris is the lead car in the next Camarovan, and the first in line for the dragstrip... He deserves it.