Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
layjar12

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
lowering springs or coil overs?

Was fixing to order the lowering springs from Apex and a guy at work asked me why I was not ordering coil overs. I had no response. He is from a different group as he deals with VW. What is best for our setup?
layjar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
What do you want use it for?

Coil overs are better, but more expensive.
Coil overs give you more options, depending on which ones you choose.
These options can be ride height, stiffness, etc.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
layjar12

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Really just to change the ride height and the looks. I might track the car but not very often. I like the idea of springs and $300 but I not opposed to spending more on coil overs if I am going to get anything useful out of it. I'm not trying to build a race car. If coil overs anyone have any suggestions.
layjar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Spartan01

Based on what you are saying, for looks and ride height, lowering springs are probably your best option.

Coilovers start at around $600 on sale, to well over $3000, depending on manufacturer and features.
The main benefit is that you can dial in the settings, to make them stiffer/softer depending on the application.
So if you are going for a drag racer, stiffest would be better, but a, autocross event would be different. This gives you more options.

But for just looks, a better/lower stance, and better performance, lowering springs are fine.

Look up what Apex Chase has written on this, he has made several posts regarding this exact issue.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
based on the info you've given, just go with springs. The 1le already handles really well, the springs will only help.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I agree. Based on the kind of use you are describing there is not much of a justification for the additional expense of coil overs.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
based on the info you've given, just go with springs. The 1le already handles really well, the springs will only help.
What makes you so sure that lowering springs will only help? Considering all the effort that was put into tuning the stock 1LE suspension, I would be more inclined to say – don’t touch stock suspension unless you REALLY know what you are doing and willing to spend significant time testing and tuning the suspension yourself. You might also need to switch the springs several time to make sure your setup is good. This is not Honda Civic where, as long as you follow some simple guidelines, pretty much anything you install will only help. 1LE is already very thoroughly tuned for high performance handling, which is confirmed by multiple car magazines like Motor Trend and Car and Driver.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
Spartan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric View Post
What makes you so sure that lowering springs will only help? Considering all the effort that was put into tuning the stock 1LE suspension, I would be more inclined to say – don’t touch stock suspension unless you REALLY know what you are doing and willing to spend significant time testing and tuning the suspension yourself. You might also need to switch the springs several time to make sure your setup is good. This is not Honda Civic where, as long as you follow some simple guidelines, pretty much anything you install will only help. 1LE is already very thoroughly tuned for high performance handling, which is confirmed by multiple car magazines like Motor Trend and Car and Driver.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Electric

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Not trying to start the stock vs aftermarket argument. But he can’t just state that the aftermarket springs will “only help” like it was a fact. And it he does have something to back his statement up (which he doesn’t) than the discussion will be very short, and we will all learn something new today.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Spartan01

Well, yeah, you are trolling, kind of....
Op said he really wanted to change Ride Height and Looks.
In this regard the lowering springs WILL help.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
FYI, Coil-overs allow full shock travel. Lowering springs will shorten the travel.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
jcamo

Drives: 2ss/rs/2013 camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
FYI, Coil-overs allow full shock travel. Lowering springs will shorten the travel.
.......Winner,You are correct .
jcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
Coilovers or bust. Best mod I've done by far
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
If you go coil over...hope you have racing scales. If you don't know what you are doing adjusting them, you can have your car out of whack in a hurry. You can get too much rake, tilt, or wedge in the car and make it handle like shit in a hurry. I raced Dirt Late Model for 17 years and have all the racecar setup tools. I plan to convert mine to coil over eventually. I used to scale my late model weekly and run 48-54% cross weight depending on the track we were running. This is done by turning corners equal and opposite amounts to maintain ride height. If you start getting ride height out of whack you can mess up roll center and moment center in the front. There are just a whole lot of dynamics involved when you put coil overs on and don't know how to work with them properly. Yes...they are better...but be sure you know what you are doing. If you just want it lower and know it is still balanced and not a headache, then just put lowering springs on it.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote