Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Need some advise

Guys and gals: Here is my delima; I have found a 1986 Berlinetta V8 T-top car that will need a little work. It is a digital dash car (rare) V-8 car (also rare on that model) and it has 170,000 miles on it. Car is going to need to be gone through obviously. I know it needs the following: a t-top panel, a paint job, and probably the 305 refreshed/replaced.

This is where you fellow Camarophiles come in: How expensive are these cars (third Gens - leave the "berlinetta" aspect off the table) to restore/work on? Is this a money pit that should just be parted out and crushed, or is it a worthy example to be saved?

I know that Berlinettas are not the fastest, or best handling Camaros offered in the third generation, but the interior is my favorite of the third generations and a wacky memory of my youth (We have had two!). I basically want it for sentimental reasons, and the rarity of the '86 digital dash is appealing.

I will be looking at her this weekend, but advice towards making a decision would be welcomed.

Last edited by toesuf94; 11-14-2008 at 02:29 PM.
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Sentimentality is what could make it worth restoring. You will not recoup your investment.

The 305 is a simple small block chevy, so you can rebuild that cheap and easy.

Make sure the digital dash works, they will be hard to find now I'd guess, and expensive.

Ease to work on is moderate. A lift would be helpful. Maybe ramps would get you by.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
if you do everything yourself, cheap. Also all berlinettas between 84-86 had digital dashes - 51,528 made in all, so don't let whoevers selling it try and feed you any "rare" crap. If the car needs quite a bit of work I wouldn't pay a dime over $500 (if it runs). Check thoroghly for rust, especially by the inner rear fender wells (take the interior pannels out). Also for cracking around t-tops, etc, etc, etc
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Thanks for the tips...the car runs, but the guy lost the keys, so I have to wait for those to be made so I can hear it run.

I know that 54,000 were made, but only 4400 in '86 with the digital interior (according to records I can find.) I may look for a lower mileage car that was kept up well other than buying a basket case. I just "finished' my '57 Buick wagon, and I know all of the unforseen $$$ restoring a car can cost you.

Stupidly, I will go look at the car when the keys are available, and I will check the areas that you have each pointed out. I will keep you posted.
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
If it makes you happy, it's PRICELESS!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote