Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_RS View Post
I work at a car dealership, and we use "wheel repair" vendors to fix all of our used cars that have curb damage way worse than that, and the rims look like new when finished. I wouldn't worry to much about it, it's fixable,and could have been worse.
EXACTLY who I used. Gave me the names of dealers he does work for.

Maybe, I got a rookie.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Just leave it. I have a couple of those.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Welcome to the club. :(

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Axman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Looks almost identical to what I did to one of my rims. Try this if you don't want to pay someone or are worried about them getting too aggressive with the repair.

Buy some 2000 grit sandpaper, spray bottle (fill with water), rubbing alcohol.

Put rubbing alcohol on a cloth and scrub over the scratch, should pull out all the dirt (scrape will look much better at this point).

Spray water on the spot and wet sand the area down, being careful to not get too aggressive.

Apply layers of touch-up clear coat (spacing application times by 15 min to half an hour). Wait for it to dry and wet-sand it again until the raised clear-coat is smooth again.

Really pretty simple if you don't go overboard sanding. You can hardly see my scratch, most of it was actually in the clear-coat they put on these wheels, only a little amount actually bit into the aluminum.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
That's nothing. I would buy some touch up from dealer ($10). Tape off the tire. Use very fine grade steel wool to remove loose paint. Touch it up with three very lite coats allowing a few hours between coats. I would avoid spray paint unless you're skilled.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
FresnoStateDogs

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Looks almost identical to what I did to one of my rims. Try this if you don't want to pay someone or are worried about them getting too aggressive with the repair.

Buy some 2000 grit sandpaper, spray bottle (fill with water), rubbing alcohol.

Put rubbing alcohol on a cloth and scrub over the scratch, should pull out all the dirt (scrape will look much better at this point).

Spray water on the spot and wet sand the area down, being careful to not get too aggressive.

Apply layers of touch-up clear coat (spacing application times by 15 min to half an hour). Wait for it to dry and wet-sand it again until the raised clear-coat is smooth again.

Really pretty simple if you don't go overboard sanding. You can hardly see my scratch, most of it was actually in the clear-coat they put on these wheels, only a little amount actually bit into the aluminum.
Can you specify what kind of clear coat? i.e. brand. I assume it's not the same stuff you get at the local hardware store.

Spiral Ported TB, K&N Typhoon, JBA Performance Cat-back, RX catch can and Oil Breather.
FresnoStateDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Yeah, the club is long and distinguished.... it sucks but shouldn't be hard to fix. Here's a thread I did on my incident.

CURB RASH!! grrr...
SILVERHAWK
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
It can be fixed. Here's a thread on my damage from a while ago:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46149
Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Axman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
As far as clear-coat I went to a Pep Boys and bought a Dupli-Color touch-up paint stick with brush; cost - around $10. I almost forgot the final step... buy some clear-coat safe polish and an applicator pad. After the last wetstand, apply some polish and you should be good to go.
Axman is offline   Reply With Quote