Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
leojerome
AMC Reject

Drives: 45th Anniversary
No Officer this is NOT a Nissan.

Something very odd happened to me on my way to work. It was O'dark thirty in the morning, and I got pulled over for doing 10mph over. Really even though I was the only one out at 5 in the morning, no breaks from the cops here in Virginia. Any way while he was writing the ticket he was taking an awful long time, I was getting a little concerned. When he came back to give me the ticket this was our conversation.

Officer: Sir, the reason I took so long is that your plates seem to be registered to a Nissan.
Me: No Officer this is NOT a Nissan.
Officer: I know that now, but I had to run your VIN on your registration to be sure. (What, you weren't sure by looking at the car). Did you ever own a Nissan?
Me: No.
Officer: Did you ever live in Norfolk?
Officer: Did you ever lend these plates to someone else?
Officer: Where did you get these plates?
Me: ? ? ? The DMV.
Officer: How long have you had these plates?
Me: 2 years, I transferred them from my old car.
Officer: Was it a Nissan?
Me: No, it was a Monte Carlo.
Officer: Well When I run these plates it comes back to a Nissan out of Norfolk. When I run your VIN it shows that these plates belong on this vehicle. Why is that happening?
Me: ? ? ? (I shrug my shoulders).

After some more conversation that ran around in circles, we both agreed that the computer is either not correct or my plates where double issued. Where we differed in opinion was that he believed that I needed to get it fixed. I said OK, but what I really was thinking is that I have done everything I am legally obligated to do.

I have to ask, other than paying the ticket do I really need to do anything else?

Here's my plates 'cause I know its gonna get asked.
DS****78.jpg
Attached Images

leojerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
HEY!! I've had those on my Nissan for the last 5 years!
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
LOL I'd ask him to make it right. He's the person of Authority
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
HEY!! I've had those on my Nissan for the last 5 years!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
My thought is that he ran it as a standard Virginia license instead of the Veterans plate. My friend had this issue when they ran his plate for the college he went to as a standard AZ plate. He went through a ton of hassle for it.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
cmb74656

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
There's a joke about the government in there somewhere.

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
ElektraSS
Elektra SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Same thing happened to me a few years ago with a previous car, even better that person had a warrant and the officer had me step out of car and had his hand on his gun asking me if I was Natasha? I laughed and said I'm sorry officer I am Male and certainly NOT Natasha. Come to find out these were regurtated plates from a previous owner and vehicle. Thought I was going to have a fun ride to jail but he was nice and we laughed about it once he called in all of my info and came back clear.

2010 Aqua Blue, K&N CAI, RK Side skirts, hood, and spoiler. Borla Exhaust/CATS, 22 TSW Wheels, Fidanza Short Shifter and Flywheel, performance chip, Halo's. Twin Turbo in progress!
ElektraSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
DMV clerks aren't the sharpest tacks in the box.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Maybe the will send the payment request to the Nissan owner.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb74656 View Post
There's a joke about the government in there somewhere.
yea, as Ronald Reagan said, "the nine scariest word in the English language are: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"

anyway, I'd say look into it. may not be your fault, and you may not be legally obligated to do anything, but sure could cause a lot of headaches down the road. last thing you'd want to happen is to have your car impounded and be thrown in jail cause a car with your plates was involved in a hit and run.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
You could be this guy:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...000913724.html
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Almost same thing happened to me. Got stopped two months after buying a new car. I wasn't speeding or anything else, but the officer just decided to run my plates "because he liked my car". Plates didn't match and I gave him all my state issued documents showing the transfer of the title and plates, but since "paperwork can be forged" I had the pleasure of his company for 20 minutes while he tried to figure it out. I ended up with a warning.

Went up to the DMV to discuss and the guy up there was more pi$$ed than I was. He told me if I got stopped again by the cop that I was to give him his name and let them discuss it together.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
You would think that with all this technology today some programmer (like myself) would have found a way to stop plates from being the same

Anyway I'd look into it as said, or just say to send all payments and tickets to the Nissan owner
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojerome View Post
Something very odd happened to me on my way to work. It was O'dark thirty in the morning, and I got pulled over for doing 10mph over. Really even though I was the only one out at 5 in the morning, no breaks from the cops here in Virginia. Any way while he was writing the ticket he was taking an awful long time, I was getting a little concerned. When he came back to give me the ticket this was our conversation.

Officer: Sir, the reason I took so long is that your plates seem to be registered to a Nissan.
Me: No Officer this is NOT a Nissan.
Officer: I know that now, but I had to run your VIN on your registration to be sure. (What, you weren't sure by looking at the car). Did you ever own a Nissan?
Officer: Did you ever live in Norfolk?
Officer: Did you ever lend these plates to someone else?
Officer: Where did you get these plates?
Me: ? ? ? The DMV.
Officer: How long have you had these plates?
Me: 2 years, I transferred them from my old car.
Officer: Was it a Nissan?
Me: No, it was a Monte Carlo.
Officer: Well When I run these plates it comes back to a Nissan out of Norfolk. When I run your VIN it shows that these plates belong on this vehicle. Why is that happening?
Me: ? ? ? (I shrug my shoulders).

After some more conversation that ran around in circles, we both agreed that the computer is either not correct or my plates where double issued. Where we differed in opinion was that he believed that I needed to get it fixed. I said OK, but what I really was thinking is that I have done everything I am legally obligated to do.

I have to ask, other than paying the ticket do I really need to do anything else?

Here's my plates 'cause I know its gonna get asked.

So he gave you the speeding ticket anyways?! Are you a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) also....just curious about the name Leojerome?