Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
Sorry. For $31k, I wanted more power or less weight.A C5/C6 is the performance choice

I would like to request that my thread moved to General Discussion and I would like to change the title to the following.
Sorry. For $31k, I wanted more power or less weight.A C5/C6 is the performance choice
(my original post is quoted in the 1st reply for comparison)

The 5th Gen Camaro is BEAUTIFUL and is the ONLY choice if you NEED your rear wheel drive sports car to have 4 seats.

I have owned and modified many Camaros. I have probably met, and even raced, many of you at events and tracks all over the country. I've met Scott a few times over the years and have found him to be one of the greatest "car guys" alive at any of the manufacturers. He is both extremely nice and helpful. He "gets it". I've always felt like he is "one of us". I wish him, the Camaro, and GM the best of luck and will always "root" for them all.

With that being said, I really had hoped that a $31,000+ LS3 powered 5th Gen Camaro SS would have had a similar curb weight as the 4th Gen F-bodies I owned. Or, at 4,000lbs, the 5th Gen Camaro SS would have been equipped with a "bargain version" of the LS7 making close to 500hp. If anyone has priced out longblocks assembled with a LS3 block, a non-exotic rotating assembly, and LS7 based heads and intake, you will find that it would represent little to no more additional cost to GM over the current LS3 being offered.

At 4000 lbs, a ZERO option new Corvette is the performance choice over the 2010 Camaro. If not within budget, then a pre-owned C5 or C6 is the obvious choice.

Scott and GM have delivered us a beautiful car that clearly beats the "competition" in performance, looks, AND price. If I needed a 4-seat, rear wheel drive sports car, the 2010 Camaro would be my ONLY choice.
But, for what you get for the money, a new or used Corvette is clearly the performance choice.

*In attempt to cover all bases, I would like to add that I believe ingress and egress will be easier in the Camaro for those with "issues" and that would also be a good reason for selecting the Camaro over the Corvette as well.

Last edited by TT C6; 10-16-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
The 5th Gen Camaro is BEAUTIFUL and is the ONLY choice if you NEED your rear wheel drive sports car to have 4 seats.

I have owned and modified many Camaros. I have probably met, and even raced, many of you at events and tracks all over the country. I've met Scott a few times over the years and have found him to be one of the greatest manufacturer "car guys" alive and both extremely nice and helpful. He "gets" it and I always felt like he is "one of us".

With that being said, I really had hoped that a $31,000+ LS3 powered 5th Gen Camaro SS would have had a similar curb weight as the 4th Gen F-bodies I owned. Or, at 4,000lbs, the 5th Gen Camaro SS would have been equipped with a "version" of the LS7 or LSA.

At 4000 lbs, a ZERO option new Corvette is the performance choice over the 2010 Camaro. If not within budget, then a pre-owned C5 or C6 is the obvious choice.

Scott and GM have delivered us a beautiful car that clearly beats the "competition" in performance, looks, AND price. If I needed a 4 seat rear wheel drive sports car, the 2010 Camaro would be my ONLY choice.
But, for what you get for the money, a new or used Corvette is clearly the performance choice.

I completly agree with you. I am in it for the performance no doubt, and a used vette would be cheaper and faster than a Camaro SS. But why am I still getting a camaro? Because I can get it new. Thats worth more to me than a second in the 1/4 mile. If a new vette and a new Camaro were in the same pricerange, it'd be vette all the way. But in order to get a vette in the ~34-35k area, it needs to be a few years old. I'd prefer a new pony car over a used sports car any day. Just my opinion though.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Old 10-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
TT C6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
I completly agree with you. I am in it for the performance no doubt, and a used vette would be cheaper and faster than a Camaro SS. But why am I still getting a camaro? Because I can get it new. Thats worth more to me than a second in the 1/4 mile. If a new vette and a new Camaro were in the same pricerange, it'd be vette all the way. But in order to get a vette in the ~34-35k area, it needs to be a few years old. I'd prefer a new pony car over a used sports car any day. Just my opinion though.
If you were my friend, I would advise you to wait until you could afford the Corvette. If not, I'm sure you will LOVE the 5th gen Camaro. It DESTROYS the competition on so many levels.

My response to the "cute" pic above:
No. As a C6 and multiple F-body owner, I'm dead serious. I think it would be very difficult for anyone to refute anything I posted.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
There is a big difference between the two cars.

If I wanted a vette, I'd save a little more money and buy one. The main reason I'm not getting a vette, is BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT ONE.

These are two separate cars and IMO, draw two different crowds. Folks from each crowd (again, this is my opinion) have a respect for one another. I don't want a vette. If someone is here looking for the best bang for the buck, they have TONS of choices...and not just from GM. I'm talking ALL types of cars. But, a few will agree with you. It just so happens that dollar for dollar, you can either have a SUPER DUPER ALL OPTIONED SS (every bell and whistle) or you can get a vette...new...adding in a couple to a few thousand....and don't forget. It's BARE BONES vette.

Or, you can buy a "gently used" vette with a bunch of miles....that you have no REAL history on. Sorry, but this does not make sense to me when you can have a new SS Camaro.

Why would I want a vette? I don't want a vette. I mean, I would take one. But, for the money, CLEARLY the Camaro is it. .97 G's on the skidpad...and the vette is what? 1.3? I imagine that there will be suspension package as well that will fix that EASILY. So, performance and handling will be great. Still...I don't want a vette. Two different cars.

Just my .02 cents and not trying to argue with you.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Yeah buying a used corvette for the same kind of money that some one else has thrashed with a lesser interior is just fantastic.

i cant even begin to wrap my head around your complaints they are just too deluded to even start to comprehend. what did you expect? the base price for the camaro is LESS then a C6, and ALL cars are getting heaver because of safety regulations. the Corvette Costs alot more and you get things like a Aluminum frame for it... your honestly couldnt have thought that a 5th gen was going to be as light as a 4th gen considering changes in safety requirements. if you did you obviously haven't been paying much attention. or "Well at 4000lbs it should have a LSA in it. Do you have any idea how much more expensive an LSA costs over a LS3? we dont have any firm numbers but it is close to $10,000 more.....and im sure if they did offer that engine that you would then complain because they had to Add the $10,000 to the price as well.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
If I didn't need a back seat .. I would be driving a vette as well ... you certainly can't go wrong there ....

I also wish the camaro was about 200 lbs lighter, but I do think with the LS3 engine it will do ok ...

Crowley
Old 10-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Rallyman6

Drives: '10 2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, Roof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
If I didn't need a back seat .. I would be driving a vette as well ... you certainly can't go wrong there ....

I also wish the camaro was about 200 lbs lighter, but I do think with the LS3 engine it will do ok ...

Crowley
I agree - I work at a Chevy Dealership and came very close buying a '07 Z06; however, I have two 2 year old kids and want to take them with me on day trips.

2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, 6MT, IO Interior, Roof, Eibach Sways, BC Coilovers, BMR Swing arms,Barton Short Shift, BBK LT's, GMPP exhaust, Hi-Flow Cats, MAST Stage 2 Cam, CAI = 470RWHP
Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #9
TT C6
Banned

As much as I'm tempted to, I'm not going to respond to every post in this thread. But, if you READ my ENTIRE post, and you are objective and well informed, I believe it will be impossible for you to refute anything I posted. If so, you can tell yourself whatever you want to believe.

The bottom line is this: GM is destroying the competition. Enough said.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
As much as I'm tempted to, I'm not going to respond to every post in this thread. But, if you READ my ENTIRE post, and you are objective and well informed, I believe it will be impossible for you to refute anything I posted. If so, you can tell yourself whatever you want to believe.

The bottom line is this: GM is destroying the competition. Enough said.
Yep. They sure are.

FYI, pricing at MSRP for a base 2007 year model CTS-V is...$51,425
FYI, pricing at MSRP for a base 2008 year model Corvette...$46,100

Again, pricing for the 1SS 2010 model Camaro?...$30,995.

Difference over the CTS-V that is two years older? - $20,430
Difference over the Corvette that is a year older ? - $15,105

With all due respect to you...since I agree that they are destroying the competition, there is no comparison in buying a different car.

The prices are right there...it's a HUGE difference. Base to base. These are two different cars in two different categories. The only difference is that with some extra cash, the Camaro can compete with the Corvette...as you begin to near the vettes price. ...and the fact that there will be 4 seats.

But no..I'm not trying to start an argument. Just saying two different classes and the price is not that bad. If GM were to try and cut weight, cost would go way up into vette territory. GM never meant to do that. Different car...
Old 10-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
I know a lot of the folks on the board are Vette fans, and even one of my very close friends who's my age has one (08 Z06) so sorry in advance for saying the following:

A Corvette is Dad's (or Grandpa's) car. It screams middle aged driver. I say this, and I'm NO spring chicken myself.

Could I buy a Vette....yep. Will I.....NOPE.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #12
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
LSA or LS7 for low 30's?? LMFAO. you have to be kidding. 31000 for an LS3 and all the other stuff the SS has is a great price. LSA or LS7 would add 10-15k to the price if not more.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Oh, and one more thought on the weight.....

The gubment says these cars have to meet P, Q, and R safety features as well as X, Y, and Z emissions and fuel ratings.

So, ok let's make the cars have to weigh 2 tons with all the safety and emissions stuff but still have to get 30MPG. NUTS! Bureaucracy at it's best.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
GamerGuyZ28
5TH GEN BURNOUTS!

Drives: 95 Z28, and a 2000 Z28
Talking I love Corvettes

But i will never have one, for on reason... nobody will play with it. if you pull up at a red light next to 'Stangs they won't race, you have to pull up next to Ferrari's and sh**, and where I'm from there ain't no Ferrari's.

Closed Thread