Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
PHXLT1

Drives: black Z28
what is wrong with the rock music of today?

If any of you are a little older , like me, and you hear the music that come out today do you ever ask that question too? I listen to a local radio station that's plays todays rock along with older rock but other than the morning show I don't listen to them at all. Have you heard the crap that comes out now? I don't even think it should be called rock. There was a time when rock had great riffs and drum beats. Todays stuff is just horrible. Danko jones? Foxy shazam? Wtf is that? Little wonder why rap dominatesthe music industry now. If you don't believe me look at the stats. About 75% of music I hear coming from cars is rap and I'm not talking about the people booming. I mean I hear it from regular people with regular systems. Also look at any sports half time shows and look at the clothes people wear. Mostly rap inspired. I think it bothers me a little. Not that I don't like rap, I do, but its like just music in general doesn't have meaning like it used to. A good friend of mine calls rap "fake music". Not trying to smash on rap I just didn't know what he meant. He said its all computerized music that anyone can make in a couple hours on their computer so he doesn't consider it real music. Ok that's an opinion. He said it takes years just to make a sone in rock. Didn't know what he meant by that either but appa but you first have to learn to play the instrument which we all know takes time then you have to get a band together and then learn to play with them which takes time. Ok another good point I guess. I think that's why I enjoy older rock and heavy metal. Although the singing in metal leaves a lot to be desired the riffs and drum play are sic. Not sure where rock will be in the next few years but I hope it gets better or rock may phase out and we'll just have to stick with the old stuff.
2015 Silverado (mine!)
54 Belair (wife's)
2004 silverado (daughters)
PHXLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Bsanf21
Love me some Camaro's!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
its all crap these days. i listen to nothing but older music with a few new songs, other than that, screw it.
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I was just updating my MP3 player for when I'm at work, I can listen to music. I like music that is high energy and catchy. So most of it is pop/club type music. However, I do enjoy some rock and the music I was putting into my rock folder mostly, late 70's early 80's rock.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
i hear ya, most of it should be called pop
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
While I might not be as old as you are I do have to agree that music now isn't as good as music ten years ago or even ten years before that. But its not just rock is mostly all types of music in general have gotten worse over the years. Don't get me wrong there are still some very talented artist that are new and will be good for years to come but it seems most of it is just a one hit one wonder group or a flash in the pan type. Oh and your friend is totally wrong about rap not needed time to perfect or be good at im sure what he was referring too is the club songs with a catchy hook and beat and nothing else. Rap is a art form IMO forming rhymes and words to connect and tell a story is like poetry almost.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Maybe it's not the rock music but the radio station...never heard the bands mentioned in first post. I went from Led Zeppelin to Pantera then to The Beatles to current Of Mice & Men. I listen to mostly my USB sticks and Pandora.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Bsanf21
Love me some Camaro's!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Love hard rock/metal, classic rock, ect... Hate tween BS and the Beatles.
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #8
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Nothing is wrong with the music today. I don't like most of it but that is because I still prefer my metal, thrash, and punk like it was in the old days. It was never on TV or the radio, people feared it especially our parents, you had to dub cassette tapes to hear new bands, and Slayer owned the Aragon Brawl Room in Chicago.

I'm stuck in that day and age and I don't want to leave it so when I hear the music today of new bands I tune out because it has no place in my life. When I'm 90 years old and about to die I'll still be listening to D.R.I. None of the new stuff is for us and that is fine with me. Let the kids have their fun and I'll stick with my bands.

Every generation gets their own signature and we have ours.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
what is d.r.i.?
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Southpark Season 15 Episode 7. Watch it and you'll understand.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw26ss View Post
what is d.r.i.?
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles.

It's too late to listen to them now. Those guys were recorded on a 4 track in a garage in Texas. You probably wouldn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Southpark Season 15 Episode 7. Watch it and you'll understand.
There you go!
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #12
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
A big fan of classic rock as a guitarist thats all I play, as a musician i try to appreciate all music. However music these days its all about the catch and make it big for a few months and then disappear. It seems like a lot of the originality is gone, it seems that the guitars sound like the same heavy sound, the singer sound the same, and lyrics aren't as clever, half the time you cant hear the bass guitar, most of the time the drums are just blasting. Most have seemed to accept this level of just ok music, its just expected that the music will be ok, and not that great. The expectation for rock to be over the top and awesome has gone away for the most part. There are a few good bands, just most have turned away from rock and went to screemo and thrash. End rant.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
You have to find the good stuff, radio is horrible and it's for the masses. In the beginning that's all there was, now with every teenager being in a band and so many more genres it's hard to find. taste in music is very personal. Radio is the wrong avenue to find new music, it's all pop.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
I like the rock music today just as much as I liked it 15 years ago. I still love Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer, Deftones, and all the other stuff I listened to in high school, but there is a lot of good bands out nowadays. There are a lot of talented musicians out there. New Soundgarden is pretty bad ass, Five Finger Death Punch, Stone Sour/Slipknot, Gojira, 10 years, All That Remains, Chevelle....rock is alive and well my friend, listen to a new radio station.