Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #337
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
First off - those videos were pretty sweet

I am potentially in the same boat. C7 or Camaro 1LE/ZL1/Z/28.

I am curious to see what the price point is for the Z/28. A C7 with Z51 is something like 54,000? At what point do people walk away from the Z/28 to the Corvette as a track car?

The LT1 rumors say 450-500hp. It is a few hundred pounds lighter (possibly) and the difference in price could be spent on brake upgrades and tires.

At 69k, I would probably walk over to the Corvette.
Thanks. You make a great point. Honestly, after Chevy released the pricing of the new C7 I feel like I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. Z51 track package is $2800 on top of the 51k price. I optioned things out in terms of what I would be looking for and I was still less than 60k. The interior of the C7 will be much better than the Z/28 in terms of design/looks. I guess final reviews/results will tell all, but it looks like the C7 might be a better deal...?
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #338
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Which is why I am here.
Glad to have ya!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #339
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
First off - those videos were pretty sweet

I am potentially in the same boat. C7 or Camaro 1LE/ZL1/Z/28.

I am curious to see what the price point is for the Z/28. A C7 with Z51 is something like 54,000? At what point do people walk away from the Z/28 to the Corvette as a track car?

The LT1 rumors say 450-500hp. It is a few hundred pounds lighter (possibly) and the difference in price could be spent on brake upgrades and tires.

At 69k, I would probably walk over to the Corvette.
Quote:
Thanks. You make a great point. Honestly, after Chevy released the pricing of the new C7 I feel like I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. Z51 track package is $2800 on top of the 51k price. I optioned things out in terms of what I would be looking for and I was still less than 60k. The interior of the C7 will be much better than the Z/28 in terms of design/looks. I guess final reviews/results will tell all, but it looks like the C7 might be a better deal...?
My dilemma as well. I've always been a Z/28 guy though...I'm definitely torn.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #340
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Wanna know more about the "heart" of the Z/28? Consider this timely thread as REQUIRED READING.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292539
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #341
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Wanna know more about the "heart" of the Z/28? Consider this timely thread as REQUIRED READING.

I read that whole thing; very good read. I find it interesting that even though it seems the LS7 they're talking about for the Z/28 was showing 505 hp, Chevy is still only saying "about 500 hp" which I take it to mean they're still working on increasing the power. It would be nice if they could get an SAE rated 515 or more; maybe even 525 out of the production version.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #342
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I read that whole thing; very good read. I find it interesting that even though it seems the LS7 they're talking about for the Z/28 was showing 505 hp, Chevy is still only saying "about 500 hp" which I take it to mean they're still working on increasing the power. It would be nice if they could get an SAE rated 515 or more; maybe even 525 out of the production version.
True Doc, and since GM is not changing anything internally on the motor itself as we know it's up to the airbox/air intake, tri-y's and exhaust where the gain will be found. Maybe 25 HP and 30 ft lb tq.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #343
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
True Doc, and since GM is not changing anything internally on the motor itself as we know it's up to the airbox/air intake, tri-y's and exhaust where the gain will be found. Maybe 25 HP and 30 ft lb tq.
The tune will also probably come into play a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #344
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
The tune will also probably come into play a bit.
...yes indeedy, and hopefully they set it up as far as they can go within EPA limits...even if a surcharge comes into play, damn the torpedo's, full speed ahead...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #345
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post

Wow! Great stuff! Thanks a million for posting. Great look inside the development of the engine. Was surprised and a bit disappointed to learn the tri-y headers on the Z actually are more restrictive than then Vette's headers. I had thought they would provide hp/tq gains but it is the opposite.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #346
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Wow! Great stuff! Thanks a million for posting. Great look inside the development of the engine. Was surprised and a bit disappointed to learn the tri-y headers on the Z actually are more restrictive than then Vette's headers. I had thought they would provide hp/tq gains but it is the opposite.
My thoughts as well after seeing them compared to the Corvette's. I thought they would flow better.

My guess is 520 HP and 500 TQ
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #347
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Correct, the OEM ZO6 exhaust manifolds fare very well compared to LT's. Since the Z/28 has to meet current emission standards ( SS & ZL-1's use 4 cats ) I expect the Z/28 may also. I wouldn't expect the Z/28 spec'ed LS7 to produce a whole lot more HP/TQ than the ZO6 spec engine. It's a pretty efficient and tuned piece already.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #348
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
...and another guess...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293071
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #349
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Spoken like a guy that actually knows what he's talking about and actually takes his car to the track on frequent basis and isn't half bad at it:

Don't matter what you were driving, very nice skills there... enjoyed the vids
Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #350
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
I agree. The CC brakes should be optional. Their price point alone will exclude some buyers. I guess the smart thing would be to take them off and put the zl1 rotors on. The Z/28 is 300 lbs lighter and will have superior braking performance anyway.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote