Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I should have asked for on for Christmas,
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #16
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
My buddy said I should get one. Can anyone link me to an adapter that I'd need for my 2010 SS, please?

Here you go...

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267

Used it for mine and worked great!!!

Check My Garage for pix...
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
So, can anyone tell me why GM engineers feel the convertibles need a strut brace but coupes do not? I have searched (and read) some other threads on this and I understand the horizontal stiffening provided by the brace, but why does the convertible come standard with one and not the coupes? Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present? Just curious.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present?
There is enough flex to require a strut brace. A V8 with a lot of torque can twist a frame pretty quickly.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
Smile

I got to say you do feel the difference in turns. Looks good!
USCAMARO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
So, can anyone tell me why GM engineers feel the convertibles need a strut brace but coupes do not? I have searched (and read) some other threads on this and I understand the horizontal stiffening provided by the brace, but why does the convertible come standard with one and not the coupes? Is there really that much additional "flex" in the suspension without the hard roof/pillars of the coupe being present? Just curious.
Yes, since the convertibles don't have a top they inherently have more "flex" than a coupe would.
This is true for just about any convertible, not just the camaro.

This brace helps in keeping the body a little more rigid during cornering.

Just normal straight line driving, you won't notice any difference.
It is when you push the car to its limits where the difference between a coupe and convertible would be noticed.

Look at the undercarriage of each and you will see the convertible has additional bracing there also.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
In addition to the strut tower brace, the vert also has a reinforced trans tunnel brace and extra steel under the rear seats for more stiffness and rigidity that the coupes also do not have.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Very nice that's next on my list also
wayne watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
There is enough flex to require a strut brace. A V8 with a lot of torque can twist a frame pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yes, since the convertibles don't have a top they inherently have more "flex" than a coupe would.
This is true for just about any convertible, not just the camaro.

This brace helps in keeping the body a little more rigid during cornering.

Just normal straight line driving, you won't notice any difference.
It is when you push the car to its limits where the difference between a coupe and convertible would be noticed.

Look at the undercarriage of each and you will see the convertible has additional bracing there also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
In addition to the strut tower brace, the vert also has a reinforced trans tunnel brace and extra steel under the rear seats for more stiffness and rigidity that the coupes also do not have.
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate the answers. I heard many times over the years that convertibles (in general) are heavier than their coupe counterparts. I guess the extra metal underneath to make up for the lack of metal (roof, etc.) up top.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #24
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
On a uni body car the body is the main structure. Front and rear subframes attach the suspension and drive train to the body. Cut the roof off and you lose the structiral integrity of the body. Hence the need for the additional bracing under the convertible, the tower brace is just part of the bracing needed to control flexing of the body.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
Here you go...

http://www.tpis.com/parts/view/267

Used it for mine and worked great!!!

Check My Garage for pix...
Awesome!! Thank you so much for posting this. Funny how the bracket kit is just as much as the strut tower brace itself. Did you install it yourself, or is this a, "leave it to the pros" kind of mod?
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Congrats on the Strut Bar

I got mine from GmPartsDirect as well !

Congrats on the 10,000th post xVengeancex28 ! !

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
I I'd that and zl1 sway bars and lowerin springs at the same. Def a good lookin mod. I had mine powder coated black.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Awesome!! Thank you so much for posting this. Funny how the bracket kit is just as much as the strut tower brace itself. Did you install it yourself, or is this a, "leave it to the pros" kind of mod?
I would suggest to leave to a Pro. My mechanic was very surprised when he drilled the towers to install my Hotchkis. You need a very high quality air drill to do the job.