Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 07:12 AM   #29
navyflyer72

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd, BLK/CYB GRY
I got mine on Thursday, it is the Sirius Stiletto 2 mount that mounts to the side of the center console forward of the shifter.

I'll try and take some pictures today after I complete my "honey-do" list, I want to take some pictures of where I routed the wires and get other peoples ideas for a clear wire routing. Like maybe hard-wiring the power into the fuse panel rather than routing to the cigarette lighter adapter? Anyone know if this can be done (I'm not an electrician and when I mess with electricity I always screw something up!). Thanks
Old 09-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post
I got mine on Thursday, it is the Sirius Stiletto 2 mount that mounts to the side of the center console forward of the shifter.

I'll try and take some pictures today after I complete my "honey-do" list, I want to take some pictures of where I routed the wires and get other peoples ideas for a clear wire routing. Like maybe hard-wiring the power into the fuse panel rather than routing to the cigarette lighter adapter? Anyone know if this can be done (I'm not an electrician and when I mess with electricity I always screw something up!). Thanks

Looking forward to the pictures as it will give me ideas on how to rewire my Stiletto 100.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #31
jxmot

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflyer72 View Post

I can tell you that you need to be very careful. Especially when wiring for a phone and some other devices. For example not all phones will be using 12 volts for charging. Some phones (like mine, a PDA phone) will use 5 volts. So that means that the cigarette lighter plugs on the 5 volt phones have circuitry in them to drop the voltage from 12 to 5.

I haven't had a chance to take a close look at the lighter jack wiring in the Camaro but one method you could use (I've done this before in other vehicles) is to "splice" into the wires that supply the jack in the Camaro's console. And then run the splice to another lighter type jack that's hidden in a console. Use a voltmeter to verify which wire is 12volts and which is "ground". Then the issue of converting the 12 volts is taken care by using your equipments orginal wiring. It would also be a good idea to purchase a second charging cable for your device(s).

Hope that helped!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #32
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
i just saw those on google shopping search engine the other day..i posted something about them in another thread..they look pretty promising as a way of having a DVD navi unit without taking out the factory radio..which you pretty much cant do anyway..i may get one myself..post pics guys once you get them and put them in with the players attached..id really like to have custom camaro headrest with screens built in..that is something ive really been wanting to see. probably looking at like 5 or so more years for something like that..if GM is wanting some overseas sales they really should have thought about this stuff before hand..i would have paid a ton extra for a double din Nav/DVD unit instead of that worthless head unit thats in ours, with headrest that work independantly from the dash unit or with the dash unit and with wireless headphones..that would have been nice..
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #33
jxmot

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS
Here's a pic of the ProCilip mounts in my car, note that I had the GPS mount centered rather than to the left as shown on the website -

Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #34
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Hope it's ok to rejuvenate this thread...

I am thinking of getting a Garmin Nuvi 265wt for my Camaro and I'm looking at a mounting solution. The proclip looks good, but my question is this: Is it hard to remove and does it leave any obvious marks on the car? I am also thinking of getting an Arkon vent mount. Any thoughts about those?
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #35
Looney Tunes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Hope it's ok to rejuvenate this thread...

I am thinking of getting a Garmin Nuvi 265wt for my Camaro and I'm looking at a mounting solution. The proclip looks good, but my question is this: Is it hard to remove and does it leave any obvious marks on the car? I am also thinking of getting an Arkon vent mount. Any thoughts about those?
I have one and it works fine. I don't know why you would remove it on a regular basis once it's installed but you can easily remove the Garmin...if that's what you are asking. I mounted my in the left-center vent position. I had another vent mount, Mobi, that was a universal vent mount from Costco, but it was difficult to remove and you couldn't move the vent when it was installed. I think it's better to get one that is specifically for your car and leave the mount installed and you can still remove the gps. I don't think it will be too difficult to remove if and when I sell the car. It just takes a little pressure to bend the plastic. Probably best not to do it in the cold. Hope this helps.
Looney Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #36
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Thanks for the info. I don't usually keep a gps in the car unless I'm on a trip and would like to be able to remove the bracket for driving near home.

Mostly I was just concerned that it not leave a blemish for when I go to sell the car someday. However, I'm planning to keep it forever and when I'm gone I really won't care anyway!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote