Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
IAINIDIRIEIWI
Automobile Rookie

Drives: 2011 Victory Red LS Stock Camaro
Would my car be worth more or less than average trade in?

I have a 2011 LS, bought it brand new. I have added matte black rally stripes, side gill stripes, blacked out the tail and reverse lights, and painted the lip of the steelies black. I also straight piped the car, but I kept the mufflers in my garage.

Would this be worth more, less, or the same as average? I hope I didn't lower my value by painting the lips on the rims....or the straight pipes...

Also, should I bring the mufflers with me?
IAINIDIRIEIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Dealers frown upon modded cars. This comes from a friend in the business. The reason is that people believe (correctly or not) that a modded car was traded because it has problems and/or was beat on. Also, a modded car has a smaller market given that they must find a person who likes the mods enough to buy the car AND who doesn't feel there are issues with the vehicle.

Bottom line, you're more than likely gonna get a low ball offer.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Do you mean straight piped by removing the cats? or just the mufflers? If it is the mufflers only, I would just put them back on before trying to trade.
The other things shouldn't hurt the value.
Stock is always better, but some minor upgrades may help. (stripes, etc.)

Carver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
In my experience, mods dont figure in the bottom line much when trading a vehicle... The dealer is just going to give you book value. The painting probably won't hurt you, but it probably won't help you either. Now if the paint is a crap-job, or the exhaust has problems, they'll definately ding you... But you probably will not get any extra out of the vehicle, either.

Also, when trading, you don't get full book (retail) value, you get "trade" value - which is several K below retail. With those mods, I would think that you'd be much better off selling it yourself. It will take more time, but you will come out ahead, $ wise.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
All good advice, mods are for you not the next owner.
Unmuffled exhaust is a deal breaker when selling. Put the mufflers back on.
Assume dealers want to make $3000 to $5000 profit on every used car they take in trade.
That means the dealer will give you $18,000 for your trade that can be turned around for $23,000 on the dealer lot.
If you want that $23,000, sell it yourself.
First year of new car ownership is the most expensive.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Most of the time mods will earn you little. But, it all depends on the mods. Blackouts are not something they want to see as they may not be legal. Same goes for say a car with no cats. If the mods are tasteful and actually add real market value like say changing cloth to full leather or adding oem bluetooth or oem GFX. Then yes this will add value. If you repainted your car pink with purple flames probably not so much.

If i were you i'd put the mufflers back on and remove the blackouts. Dealer will not even notice the painted lip on the wheels most likely and the stripes do add value.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
IAINIDIRIEIWI
Automobile Rookie

Drives: 2011 Victory Red LS Stock Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Most of the time mods will earn you little. But, it all depends on the mods. Blackouts are not something they want to see as they may not be legal. Same goes for say a car with no cats. If the mods are tasteful and actually add real market value like say changing cloth to full leather or adding oem bluetooth or oem GFX. Then yes this will add value. If you repainted your car pink with purple flames probably not so much.

If i were you i'd put the mufflers back on and remove the blackouts. Dealer will not even notice the painted lip on the wheels most likely and the stripes do add value.
Uh oh.

Haha, jk.

How much do you think they will take off for the muffler delete? I will probably take out the blackouts...
IAINIDIRIEIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
I learned the lesson about mods on my previous Harley. I got two different offers for trading it in that were about the same. So I went and removed as much of the chrome parts and accessories as I could which just happened to fit my new bike. Turns out I got the same money for a closer to stock bike as I would have with it decked out. Same holds for cars, motorcycles, or whatever. The only way to try and recoup some of your mod $$ is to sell it private to someone who appreciates it.

A lot of people try to include the labor cost to put mod parts on with what they think their vehicle is worth. I know on Harley parts there's on average a 50% markup, and figure the dealer isn't paying his guy $80 /hr to put those parts on. So what may have cost you $1K may only cost a dealer 1/2 that, if even that.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I learned the lesson about mods on my previous Harley. I got two different offers for trading it in that were about the same. So I went and removed as much of the chrome parts and accessories as I could which just happened to fit my new bike. Turns out I got the same money for a closer to stock bike as I would have with it decked out. Same holds for cars, motorcycles, or whatever. The only way to try and recoup some of your mod $$ is to sell it private to someone who appreciates it.
+1

Mods are for YOUR enjoyment & nothing more.
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
This is a good time to sell since used cars are in really high demand for some reason. Sell privately if you can - you should net an extra $2K or so...

Mods will rarely add value, and many will make it harder to sell. The stripes won't hurt you, but definitely replace the mufflers and remove the taillight blackouts.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I can't speak for a V6 car since I know nothing about them but for my SS I have kept all the stock parts just in case. I did sell my stock exhaust manifolds the other week but I have everything else. If forced to sell then I'll sell all the mod parts separate from the car. I'll still take a big hit since I'm sure GM has my car flagged for drivetrain warranty. Good luck.

The above post is not intended to upset anyone with a new or used car nor anyone working in used car appraisals or sales or anyone who is a fanboy worshipper or works for any manufacturer. it is not intended to suggest that aftermarket companies or products remove value from any automobile using their fine products.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
PatsRS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
I just traded my 1 LT I got low balled by 2 dealers one came in at 19 went to 20.2 the other started at 20 went to 21.5 My car was a stock garage queen with 4000 miles on it they were looking to sell it between 23 and 24. I would have to imagine the LS would garner less. They told me there was shortage of quality used cars too. Sounds like a standard line.

GM ALL THE WAY!

PatsRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
Probably neither. They'll most likely ask for your stock parts and put it back. A lot of people don't want someone else's mods on their car.