Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #1233
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuguy View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183191

Here ya go. JDP wrote up a DIY that is just for their 2012 hoses.
I did this mod... That is the extent of my engine clean up...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #1234
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
OK Mr. OCD, here's what you do next...
When you get that block all polished, machined and cleaned install one or more video cameras inside so you can see all that polishing you just did.LOL (actually that might be kinda cool).

My 5th no more ideas, LOL.

Seriously, I think you are actually making the block a little stronger, as well as oil drain-back friendly. Just make sure they clean it really well, you don't want any grit or metal dust inside your oil passages. And I don't think there's any way you can polish inside there! Oh, and I'd be careful about grinding those raised pads by the crank journals--they might require a certain tolerance for proper torque and fit of the crank end caps/girdles.

I hope I'm still this side of the daisies when you get your car finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Nathan is a MONSTER!

Dang brotha!
Ivan
Thanks Ivan, she getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleez View Post
did you weigh it before?
I wish I would have documented the before and after, would had been interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachinedriver View Post
This project just entered a whole new dimension of crazy. Ive seen guus debur engine blocks before but this is insane, your next purchase should be a straight jacket to keep your hands off the grinder. Lol
You see.... now thats an idea, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinoSS View Post
I did this mod... That is the extent of my engine clean up...
Nino, that dang heater hose is what started me on this journey. So be careful because you never know.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #1235
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Nathan...still watching you. I won't give up on ya, but just stop adding more stuff to do! I know you're trying. Also just wanted to remind you to grind away the powder coat where the generator meets the block, and the bolts meet the bracket. That is an electrical connection. I know you are still a long way away...but I didn't want to forget to remind you since I learned the hard way.

I stripped all of the paint off my coil packs, strut-tower brace, and air box. The paint never cured right, and the clear was already starting to yellow. When the parts got warm from driving, they would get sticky and dirt would stick to them. So off with the paint. Sent the parts off to Mike (thepowdercoater dot com) to powder coat, and received them back. They look very good. I even had Mike add a black lightning bolt to the red coil packs to keep with the subtle AC/DC theme of the car. The coil packs are plastic, but Mike knows how to get powder to stick. I'll take some new photos once I get them back installed in the next day or so.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1236
Pharmaro

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Here's a few updated shots of my engine bay! I did the heater hose relocate and Holley coil pack covers (special shout out to SS4PK for the extra help). I'm feeling adventurous, maybe the black anodized fuel rails next?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Name:  Engine Bay 1.jpg
Views: 5554
Size:  235.7 KB
Name:  Engine Bay 2.jpg
Views: 5794
Size:  214.0 KB
Name:  engine Bay 3.jpg
Views: 5130
Size:  193.0 KB
Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #1237
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
Pharmaro,

SWEET! that looks great with the carbon fiber. Is your car CGM or black? Very nice. You can change that EVAP line that runs over the throttle body for about $10 and run it under the throttle body. email me if you are interested I'll get you the part numbers for the quick connects. I think I did post the part numbers on this thread. You found a way to run the fuel line under the cover, I didn't think that would work, I might have to try again. I'm sure with vibrations the fuel line has rubbed on my cover though, which would mean I would have to repaint it.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #1238
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Nathan...still watching you. I won't give up on ya, but just stop adding more stuff to do! I know you're trying. Also just wanted to remind you to grind away the powder coat where the generator meets the block, and the bolts meet the bracket. That is an electrical connection. I know you are still a long way away...but I didn't want to forget to remind you since I learned the hard way.

I stripped all of the paint off my coil packs, strut-tower brace, and air box. The paint never cured right, and the clear was already starting to yellow. When the parts got warm from driving, they would get sticky and dirt would stick to them. So off with the paint. Sent the parts off to Mike (thepowdercoater dot com) to powder coat, and received them back. They look very good. I even had Mike add a black lightning bolt to the red coil packs to keep with the subtle AC/DC theme of the car. The coil packs are plastic, but Mike knows how to get powder to stick. I'll take some new photos once I get them back installed in the next day or so.
572, thanks for the reminder! And YES, I don't want to add anymore to the to do list. I even contemplated sticking the engine back once it's put together without detailing the bay just to workout any mechanical bugs and engine it for whats left of the summer and pulling it out again in the winter to finish her up. I just want to drive this thing already! Will see..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
Here's a few updated shots of my engine bay! I did the heater hose relocate and Holley coil pack covers (special shout out to SS4PK for the extra help). I'm feeling adventurous, maybe the black anodized fuel rails next?

Thanks everyone for the help!

Attachment 394521
Attachment 394522
Attachment 394523
Pharmaro, your doing a great job. Rails will look great on there .......keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
Pharmaro,

SWEET! that looks great with the carbon fiber. Is your car CGM or black? Very nice. You can change that EVAP line that runs over the throttle body for about $10 and run it under the throttle body. email me if you are interested I'll get you the part numbers for the quick connects. I think I did post the part numbers on this thread. You found a way to run the fuel line under the cover, I didn't think that would work, I might have to try again. I'm sure with vibrations the fuel line has rubbed on my cover though, which would mean I would have to repaint it.
SS4PK thats a great suggestion , and please post the parts #.

Quick update: Finally finish the grinding freakin block! having it blasted and will post pictures shortly. Now it's time for reassembly of the 418
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #1239
SS4PK

Here is the part number to change the unsightly EVAP purge tube that runs over the throttle body and the EVAP purge tube that runs from the solenoid to near the fuel line. They come in a pack of 2. From Summitracing but drop shipped from Dorman.

Summit part number RNB800-123, and the disconnect tool for the metal end near the fuel line is RNB 800-009. Buy what ever size fuel line you need for a hose and you are set. Dorman's part number is without the RNB.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-49076-800-123.aspx

Nathan you can add this part # to the OP if you want, it got buried the first time I posted it.
Attached Images

Her Hot Rod.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #1240
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
Here is the part number to change the unsightly EVAP purge tube that runs over the throttle body and the EVAP purge tube that runs from the solenoid to near the fuel line. They come in a pack of 2. From Summitracing but drop shipped from Dorman.

Summit part number RNB800-123, and the disconnect tool for the metal end near the fuel line is RNB 800-009. Buy what ever size fuel line you need for a hose and you are set. Dorman's part number is without the RNB.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-49076-800-123.aspx

Nathan you can add this part # to the OP if you want, it got buried the first time I posted it.
You can just cut the line off the stock ones and put new tubing on it. Thats what I did and its free.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #1241
SS4PK

Synner,

Even the one on the driver's side of the throttle body, since it' not at 90 degrees worked too?

What did you do with the metal one, near the fuel line? Did you reuse that one too?

Her Hot Rod.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #1242
Synner

Drives: cars
No I was just talking about the one that goes over the intake since thats what I thought you were solely referencing. The tubing is hard plastic but if you take your time you won't go through the connectors underneath. And yes the bend didn't matter since I used flexible hose. I believe I used 7/32 vacuum line from Advance and routed it underneath the throttle body.

One of these days I'll fully relocate the solenoid. I have the tech afx one for the metal side but I don't like it at all. Not very bendable and no good way of routing it. The connectors you listed would be good to create that line as I wouldn't buy that line if I had to do it over again.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #1243
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
Nice link.................................. thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #1244
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Nathan, if you were really OCD you would disassemble the entire engine, debur the block and heads and have the whole thing glass beaded to even out the cast aluminum texture, followed by a clear coat to keep the aluminum looking clean and bright.

I didn't give you any ideas did I? ;^)
Just got the engine back from blasting. My 5th, anymore ideas? Actually it came out killer, so thanks, LOL. Next comes cleaning and machining the block for the 418 forge internals.

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  98.3 KB

Had the seem for the air box blasted. The plan is to weld the seem from the inside of the panel.

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  140.9 KB

Than plasma cut to remove the pinch weld that on the outside. Trim a few inches off the edges since I'm using nut-certs. Next will be to belt sand the perimeter to clean up the edges and finally, to smooth out all the wrinkles with a skim coat and paint it in a gun metal. That's the short of it. Doing this because I'm not planning on reinstalling the firewall insulation. But painting it in the satin gun metal finish.

Name:  018.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  150.5 KB

Last edited by Moreno1; 07-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #1245
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Now you just gotta keep that exterior aluminum clean. It will oxidize and coolant, oil or fuel leaks will stain it. I'm thinking a clear engine enamel might do the trick, but you need to find a brand that won't yellow. Hope you got all the grit out. Maybe you need to hot tank it before clear coat to make sure all the grit is out.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #1246
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
If i had any ideas they have long since been done...LOL

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote