Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
The time may have arrived

Apparantly, the transmission wasn't the only thing wrong with my car. After getting my transmission rebuilt I was driving home and it was doing a few of the same things (struggling over 3k RPMs and occassional stutters), took it in to be looked at, and dealer said the main bearings were going which would result in needing a new motor. Planning on taking it somewhere else tomorrow for a 2nd opinion. But if it does need a new engine, I hate to say it but it seems like it is time to let the car go. I have had it since a little over 7000 miles and it is now at 145000. Bought in Aug 96 and has lasted me this long. I do hope that tomorrow I get a much better diagnosis from another mechanic though.

Though I realized today how attached I have gotten to the car, it has been a part of the family for quite some time and when the dealer told me it needed a new engine, my eyes started to water but didn't get to the point of full-blown crying.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
:( I'm sorry to hear your Camaro isn't "feeling well". :(

If there's a big sentimental attachment, I'd consider looking into a rebuild/new engine. If not, part ways, and save your money for the 5th Gen. It'll hurt for a while, but I'm betting a new 5th Gen. will ease the pain.

Hang in there.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
a low mileage LS1 should not be that hard or expensive to get (if its a V8), and hell the swap can be done in a garage...Id look into getting a new engine, hopefully you dont have shady mechanics there...shop around
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
lafountain

I got the 3.8 V6. I have looked around online and haven't really found what I am looking for. As for the doing it in a garage, I am gonna have to take it somewhere else. I am not very auto mechanically inclined. Still hoping the 2nd opinion tomorrow goes my way and it is something simple.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Best of luck!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
A blown head gasket was the best thing that ever happened to my 3rd gen firebird. Building a small block 400 with my friend to replace the 305 really fueled my passion for the car and taught me so much about it. Hook up with a gearhead in your area and learn as much as you can. You won't regret it and your car will love you for it.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
lafountain

Took her to a local mechanic yesterday, he didn't agree with the diagnosis of a bad main bearing, his opinion was either a piston or rod going out. The suggested remedy was the same but he was nearly 3k less than the Dealership wanted (go figure).

Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Apparantly, the transmission wasn't the only thing wrong with my car. After getting my transmission rebuilt I was driving home and it was doing a few of the same things (struggling over 3k RPMs and occassional stutters), took it in to be looked at, and dealer said the main bearings were going which would result in needing a new motor. Planning on taking it somewhere else tomorrow for a 2nd opinion. But if it does need a new engine, I hate to say it but it seems like it is time to let the car go. I have had it since a little over 7000 miles and it is now at 145000. Bought in Aug 96 and has lasted me this long. I do hope that tomorrow I get a much better diagnosis from another mechanic though.

Though I realized today how attached I have gotten to the car, it has been a part of the family for quite some time and when the dealer told me it needed a new engine, my eyes started to water but didn't get to the point of full-blown crying.
"(struggling over 3k RPMs and occassional stutters)" not symptoms of bad main bearings, more like weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. Is it knocking? If not, don't trust that dealers diagnosis. You probably didn't need a transmission rebuild either. What was it doing?

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
95CAMARO

Drives: 1995CAMARO,1988CHEVY CHEYENNE
All I can say is get the motor fixed. Shop around enough and you will find a good deal or maybe if you know someone who can give you a discount for putting it in. I have a 95 Camaro RS 3.4. She's sitting at over 222,000 miles. The previous owner had a new motor put in @ 190,000 miles and I have the orginial transmission. My coil packs need replaced and some issues with the suspension. It's missing its fog lights but I've had a lot of work done to it. I keep my oil changed, etc. A lady hit me @ work while I was still inside working as she was leaving. She clipped the passenger side bumper my lights still work and is smashed in. Just happened yesterday. Her insurance is paying for it and Turnpike Chevrolet is taking care of it. I have had that car for five years and had some help with keeping it up and she's my baby. I want to keep it up to pass it down to my kids when they get older. Give it that 'Barrett-Jackson look'. Look at it this way they don't make 95's anymore and it would look nice sitting side by side with a 5th generation Camaro.
95CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
lafountain

Well earlier this week I finally got my car back. Went to a local mechanic who owned his own garage and had 0 other employees so in the end he had my car for about 2 months. Got it back and have been driving it and am so glad I decided to replace the engine instead of getting rid of the car. Got a small oil leak but will be taking it back to him on Wednesday for a checkout and oil change.

Now I just need to go and get it repainted and all will be good.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
Zieke
Camaro Deprived

Drives: 78 Camaro, 00 Tahoe, 10 Cobalt
Send a message via MSN to Zieke
sweet. what engine did you put in it?

Joined Active Navy: 10-28-08
Zieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
lafountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieke View Post
sweet. what engine did you put in it?
Stayed with a 3.8. Didn't make any changes to it.