Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I think you need to repeat the part about them not touching the paint. I have a strange feeling that some high school hack can't wait to jack up your new paint job.
+1 "Its a mindset people."
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
+1 "Its a mindset people."
You better believe it!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Hey Junkman, been watching your videos a lot and have to thank you as its been extremely helpful. I got my complete 2 bucket wash system delivered yesterday and I am ready to take delivery of my new camaro in a few weeks. I want to ask, do you have any suggestions for 'must do's' on a new car's paint. Apply a coat of sealant after a thourough wash?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Hey Junkman, been watching your videos a lot and have to thank you as its been extremely helpful. I got my complete 2 bucket wash system delivered yesterday and I am ready to take delivery of my new camaro in a few weeks. I want to ask, do you have any suggestions for 'must do's' on a new car's paint. Apply a coat of sealant after a thourough wash?
There is no 'specific procedure for new paint' when compared to 'what to do for 1 year old paint'. So many people get this confused as if you are supposed to do something different because the car is new or used. I mean, should I shower any differently because I'm 50 than my 25 year old son does? Not at all. Removing body funk is removing body funk. If it works, that's what you should do regardless of how old you are.

Make that comparison to paint. If you care for your paint the proper way, then the routine you use to address a given situation is always the same. If you have paint contamination, you clay. If you have swirls, you polish. In order to protect the paint from the elements of nature, you wax. If the first two are not an issue, all you have to do is wash and wax. Some people think that you have to do something different because of winter. Absolutely bogus. The only thing you may have to do is MORE of what you already should be doing. You MAY have to wash more often. You MAY have to wax more often. I don't have to winterize my car's paint because I do what I'm supposed to be doing all year long. If I'm going to be exposing my paint to harsh weather or road salt, I'm going to make sure that I keep a good coat of wax on the car. Since I do that anyway, I'm not doing anything different. I may do it MORE OFTEN during the winter but my regiment never changes.

So what you should do to your new car's paint depends on what shape it is in. You test it with the plastic bag for contamination. If it needs to be clayed, then clay it. After claying, I always polish to remove any light marring. Then I apply my sealant and after the sealant cures, I'll top that off with a carnuba paste wax (like Collinite's Super Doublecoat Wax because I'm too lazy to do 2 coats of sealant due to how long it takes to cure).

Once you get your car and look at your paint, what needs to be done to it should be crystal clear to you if what you've just read makes sense.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I completely understand! Thanks a lot.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #20
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
How many of you that have already taken delivery of your 1LE's are doing the fuse pull? My question would be even if the dealer puts 93 octane in it, the car was still driven about 15 miles at the factory. Has it ever been verified what kind of gas they're putting in at the factory? If its 87 octane then theoretically everyone would need to do the fuse pull regardless of what the dealer put in.
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Very informative thread. Didn't know a lot of what was said.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote