Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

View Poll Results: Is Your Tune Locked Or Unlocked?
Locked 9 15.79%
Unlocked 40 70.18%
Not Sure 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGun View Post
A tune is not a software. It is a calibration file. Excel is a software but excel sheet is a file.
Yes, I know that. However, the information in that file is intellectual property, which falls under the same category as software.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
I don't buy the intellectual property deal. Rediculous. The customer is paying for it, it's theirs. What if they buy hp to log with at track, are u going to tell him, sorry u can't make changes to ur car cause it is not yours to alter? That's the quickest way to make a customer mad when they are in a pinch. U can not try and strong arm a customer back in your shop. Let your work speak for itself. Not cheap tactics like bin locking.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Yes, I know that. However, the information in that file is intellectual property, which falls under the same category as software.
If I design a turbo kit that out performs all the others, do I have the right to weld that turbo kit to the car so it cant be removed because I dont want you to see how I designed the inside of the manifold or turbine? You would tell me to get lost. Why is this any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
I don't buy the intellectual property deal. Rediculous. The customer is paying for it, it's theirs. What if they buy hp to log with at track, are u going to tell him, sorry u can't make changes to ur car cause it is not yours to alter? That's the quickest way to make a customer mad when they are in a pinch. U can not try and strong arm a customer back in your shop. Let your work speak for itself. Not cheap tactics like bin locking.
I 100% agree with this. It is not his property to lock.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
WE are all playing with gm's intellectual property lol. Without their willingness to leave the door open for us, we'd all be running stand alones!
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
I switched from my original tuner because he refused tounlock his tunes.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #20
Gizz69
Tony

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Blk/Blk
Johnny, I think it is funny that you suddenly offer an unlocked tune. I guess Josh from Spartan did something right before the admins of this realm banned him for speaking truth.

As for my tune, it is still GM, but will be going in to a shop that does not lock their tune. I get that some shops think they are doing something that they want to keep private so others can't copy it, but you are only going to piss off your customers who do not know until it is too late and they have thousands into a car and can't get anything else added and re-tuned without going back to the same shop.

Keeping customers loyal is not about giving them no other options.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
WE are all playing with gm's intellectual property lol. Without their willingness to leave the door open for us, we'd all be running stand alones!
Quote of the year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJRE View Post
We do not lock any tunes for customers wondering
You don't lock the tune or the ECM? There was just a thread and Ted said the tune is locked. I know first hand the tune file is locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #23
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime2 View Post
You don't lock the tune or the ECM? There was just a thread and Ted said the tune is locked. I know first hand the tune file is locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.
The tune file format with SCT is encrypted, however the ECM(car tune) is not locked. EFI or HPT can read/write to the ECM. So a car can be taken to the dealer or another shop for updates/mods/tuning.

SCT had a relatively simple process for people that don't want to bother with tuning. "Turn key" option. More recently, SCT updates has been stable, but in the early days, frustrating. That's why I log with HPT with my WB and flash with SCT.

My FI kit didn't come with a programmer so luckily, I started with HPT. Ted's custom tunes has been so much better than the canned kit tunes. Street and dyno remote tunes.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
The tune file format with SCT is encrypted, however the ECM(car tune) is not locked. EFI or HPT can read/write to the ECM. So a car can be taken to the dealer or another shop for updates/mods/tuning.

SCT had a relatively simple process for people that don't want to bother with tuning. "Turn key" option. More recently, SCT updates has been stable, but in the early days, frustrating. That's why I log with HPT with my WB and flash with SCT.

My FI kit didn't come with a programmer so luckily, I started with HPT. Ted's custom tunes has been so much better than the canned kit tunes. Street and dyno remote tunes.

I tried to read my ECU with HP after being flashed with SCT and would get an error every time. Couldn't read the ECM.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
I tried to read my ECU with HP after being flashed with SCT and would get an error every time. Couldn't read the ECM.
I've done it using the beta and v2.24. Also connected the GM MDI unit and looked what it could do/see. I do not tune, but professional support enterprise level IT systems, so I am interested in seeing how the ECM work.

I like to use HPT to help troubleshoot problems with it's relatively easy logging system. SCT provides an easy way to see codes and flash the ECM. JRE does not lock the ECM tune and you should be able to read the ECM using HPT.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
TriGun

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS Ice Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Are you using the latest HPTuners version?
TriGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #27
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
I have an Edelbrock Eforce and the car is stock running the canned tune. I have the pro racer software, but can't download the current file in the PCM to start as a base tune. Just need to tune the MAF transfer functions as Edelbrock gave me the new data for their intake. They said I need someone with HP Tuners to upload the program and save it and then I can open it with SCT Pro Racer software and get my base file. But I'm not sure what file format the HP Tuners file will be in. So I'm currently locked out and Screwed. So SCT might be good software, but has a very bad limitation.
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
avellanet.jr
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #77
I do not want a locked tune at all. I'd even be willing to pay a little more for my tune to be unlocked versus locked!
avellanet.jr is offline   Reply With Quote