Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #71
gm_joe

Drives: 2002 Pontiac GP 40th GTP, 2012 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Does anyone know why both Ford and Chevrolet went with powder forged rods in their FI engines? There has to be some advantage.
COST!
gm_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #72
Let It Rein

Drives: 2014 Speed Inc ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Top Gt View Post
With most FI cars, they die most quickly from one of two condition: a bad tune or too much rpm.

Either one is a recipe for disaster.

This is probably one of the most intelligent comments in this whole thread. Keep the tune safe, your AFR proper and dont rev it where it doesnt need to be and, forged rods or not, you will be fine. Main difference in a forged vs cast rod forged tends to bend while cast tends to break when soemthing goes wrong. Either way, its bad.
FOR SALE: Rotofab, Metco Pulley System w/Innovators West Balancer, NGK TR7IX, ID850 Injectors, Squash Performance Fuel System, DSX Tuning E85 Conversion Sensor, ARH 2' Primaries, Speed Inc SI9 Cam, PRC 255 New Casting Cylinder Heads, ARP Head Bolts & LS9 Head Gaskets, PRC.675" Spring Kit, custom pressures, Speed Inc Ported Intake Manifold, Mild2Wild Exhaust Switch, Afco ZL1 Heat Exchanger, Lingenfelter Reservoir, LS7 Throttle Body - 799hp/751tq on E85
Let It Rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #73
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Well, I know a close acquaintance of my sons dad that bent up some rods in a ZL1 once.... actually they were forged Callies rods.... I do not believe the LSA is indestructible no matter what you throw at it..... nothing is.

And the tune was good and the limiter was set at 6200 to keep the blower heat in check... Blew the head gasket, put water in block, hydrolocked while trying to limp off the race track and into the pits. I never saw the rods but believe the story.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #74
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
A stock ZL1 blew up about 6-8 months ago here on the site. Pieces of the engine went thru the side of the block and the oil pan.

The ZL1 that blew up is a members car.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #75
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Mine still running strong as ever!
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #76
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarovigoa View Post
Mine still running strong as ever!
strong, fast, quick, good, awesome..... whatever adjective you want...lol.

In general, the LSA is a very good motor with very few failures.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #77
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
strong, fast, quick, good, awesome..... whatever adjective you want...lol.

In general, the LSA is a very good motor with very few failures.
LOL!!!
True!
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM   #78
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I had a tuner/installer blow up my 2010 CTS-V. Did upper and lower pulleys, injectors, plugs, HX and tune. It was RPM in Garner, NC. They got way too aggressive on the tune and leaned out the motor. Ended up burning up #8 piston, classic lean tune catastrophic failure. Once they got in the motor #7 piston/cylinder was bad as well and had to be sleeved.

Great guys at RPM though......took no ownership of the failure, blamed "bad gas", charged me $6k to fix it and took over a month. Obviously I'll never do business with them again. Nearly cured me of my mod bug.

Best to stick to the known professionals, Tune Time, Vengeance Racing, Livernois, Lingenfelter, etc.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #79
southview

Drives: 08 tahoe, 50 merc
same thing happened to me at ECS in Jersey. Put on a polished Maggie. They did not get it right the first time and I made another 8 hour round trip to them the second time, spent all day at the shop only to have the check engine light come on 45 minutes into my drive home. Called the shop and told them cel was flashing and was told to kick into it a few times it will clear. Did as instructed and by the time I was almost home the car was running like crap, stalling and no power. #7 toast from being to lean I was told. Car had 11k miles on it. Oh yeah when I went to pick the car up the first time the bill was 1k more than I was quoted! Luckily had my wife and her check book with me!
southview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #80
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
bading tuning will kill any motor on the planet. ford,chevy,dodge, etc etc.

In my mind if you are going to mod you motor you might want to consider have the ability to datalog the car. then you don't have to listen to a comment like everthing is fine". you just log the car and say hmmmmm no it is not]

on a modern injected car though I don't care what anyone says if the car is not running great some thing is off. it may not be the tune as much as out of injector or fuel as well but these car run perfect when tuned correctly.

my advice to anyone who mods is have the ability to datalog the car then if you have one shop telling you everthing is a ok but the car is running like crap you coud most likely have another place look at your logs like getting a second opinion at the doctor.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #81
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
A stock ZL1 blew up about 6-8 months ago here on the site. Pieces of the engine went thru the side of the block and the oil pan.

The ZL1 that blew up is a members car.
As I recall, it was NOT tuned, and GM covered it under warranty.
(as we would all expect for a non-tuned car . . .)
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #82
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...as I have read this website with much frequency, daily...since I have joined...there is no mechanical issue with the LSA motor. Perhaps one or two associated with motror itself I can vaguely recal. The Eaton S/C isolator coupling issue which is a driver complaint issue due to noise rather than a mechanical problem. It's designed to do that. Primarily earlier on were many complaints of the rear axle making noises. I have seen so many wildly fluctuating reports from posters listing service procedures, diagnosis and the end results that I have not personally come to a satisfying conclusion to what exactly what the issue was. Those posts have seemingly died and gone away. Other than some early on A/C issues in hot climates, a few power steering failures which is the most scariest, and some other non descript rattling noises coming from underneath the car at speed...we are good.

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 03-08-2014 at 12:45 AM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote