Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Camaro2013 View Post
Which air intake is best for a 2013 v6 camaro with LFX engine?

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPro...prod=69-4523TP

http://www.coldairinductions.com/che...old-air-intake

http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...tm-filter.html

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...?car_motor_key[]=1691

Does it need a "spacer", I don't know the exact term, but I've heard of it.
Out of those options there is no comparison. Cold Air Inductions blows the others out of the water. Don't waste your money on throttle body spacers. They are firmly in the realm of automotive aftermarket "hocus pocus".

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Some of us are waiting to see if the Z/28 intake will be offered by GMPP or just as parts we can buy.
At a minimum you will have to come up with your own pipe to make that work on a V6. Will be interesting to see if it does anything for the SS. Like Jason mentioned, it is probably going to be priced so high that it won't matter. GM is not very good at dabbling in the aftermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Camaro2013 View Post
Approx how much hp does CAI increases? K&N, supposedly, increases around 15 hp. Any dyno tests?
K&N advertising claims 15 hp. I've got a buddy that claims to have a 15 inch @!(% when he gets drunk but his wife says otherwise. A CAI Inc with actually get you into that territory in the real world though. Add a scoop and you will get more than that.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Sounds like you already got your answer from everyone above

Let us know if you have any questions specifically about our product, we would be happy to help you.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: Camaro Jeep Abarth 944 325i
I have the K&N, it is great for the bang for the buck, nearly half the price of the CAI one. I will hand it to the CAI system, dynos show it as being the best all around hence the higher price...

Hey Jason! Did you ever wrap up making that custom air intake for the V8 Camaro? Any chance we'll be seeing you manufacturing something similar for the LFX?

Suspension Mods: BMR and JPSS Sways, BMR Poly Bushings, BMR strut tower brace, BMR control arms, BMR toe arms, stock springs and struts
Engine Mods: All bolt ons (haha)
Brake Mods: Brembo SS caliper swap front and rear
Airmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
For my .02 cents worth. I bought based on filtering quality first. I think the CAI is the best looking intake I've seen and has great quality components, and in all fairness didn't find alot of filtering info on the CAI brand, but I was shooting for a stock look anyway and trying to get the best air filtering possible while still enjoying the other benefits of a cold air intake.
I opt'd for the Volant Cold Air Intake with the Dry Powercore Donaldson filter. You can get one for under $250 and the filter is good for 50-100k miles. You can blow them out to clean or replace for $80. They have great filtering and can hold alot of dirt without restriction. See here - http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/s...ary/059806.pdf

Photo - http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...cal-415036.htm

In my opinion, I wouldn't buy cheap, and I would research. If it's a bit pricey, just wait and save for it. Put good parts on a $30k plus car.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
V6Camaro2013

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro LT
I decided to buy the CAI,inc. As soon as I receive my intake, my HFC, and my exhaust mufflers, I'll post "before and after" dyno tests, and maybe some video-sound clips.
V6Camaro2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
Jmcsjcrs

Drives: 2012 2SS RS Inferno Orange
You made the right choice

• 2012 2SS RS
  • CAI Industries
  • Lloyd's Floor and Trunk Mats
  • IOM Heritage Grill
  • Sparks SS emblems
  • Year One Restoration 1969 Camaro Script
Jmcsjcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
has anyone tried the BBK cold air intakes?
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
has anyone tried the BBK cold air intakes?
I don't care for them. There are a lot better ones out there for not much more money. I'd suggest going with Roto-Fab or Airaid. For the price they are hard to beat; especially with our promo's we have going.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
got2gozoom

Drives: 2013 1LS-6sp-VictoryRed
I am still deciding on this item too.

In my mind, the most important thing is " HOW WELL DOES THE FILTER IN THE KIT --- FILTER !!!"
I look for proof using time in marketplace as a bellwether here, and K&N does win that one, I tempered that with knowing of some K&N products that have weaknesses and the design is never corrected, but they will give you a new filter ( YZF600R yamaha 97-2007 foam tears between filter panels). That is sort of a mixed bag then from K&N, but they are one of the most experienced.

Second to that, and VERY important, how does the CAI adapt itself for the computer in our cars ... I think that the size of the tube where the MAF is located should be near stock diameter so MAF readings stay reasonably similar - AND - intake air temps should be kept as low as possible.

Third, how is cold air getting to the filter... Injen long ram CAI wins that hands down IMHO, BUT with a scoop from the lower grill like the Apex scoop, almost any top mount CAI can be improved in terms of how much cold air it gets and Hydro-lock possibilities can be minimized..

If I had hstory to reference for the quality of the FILTRATION of the Spectre and price was THE object, I'd pick the Spectre... its a tube and a cone filter for goodness sakes. I don't like tossing hundreds away unless it is REALLY worth it. Consider this ... for the cost of the Spectre AND a CNC machined throttle body .. you are still $99 under a CAI.

For the next price up, as far as I am concerend, I'd pick K&N's 63 system and not the 69 system with the shiny metal heat soaking tube (IMHO). PLUS look at the dyno graphs closely of the 63 versus the 71, the 63 kicks in with more torque across the curve, the 69 has less than factory for a brief bit at low rpm's but then flows more than stock. WHY? I guess the plastic adds a touch more turbulence to the incoming air versus the shiny chrome tube 69 version and thereby you get a bit more even air distribution. BUT, hey these intake manifolds are obviously well tuned... so they may react just fine to a smooth solid flow of incoming air, and they do appear to as the chrome one has a touch more HP up top.

After these two choices, IMHO, the CAI system is the Cadillac. It is way overpriced IMHO like a Cadillac. I'm sure the heat resistant ceramic coating on the tube costs money and so does the heat shield insulative foam and foil in the CAI housing. Those factors do show CAI engineered to keep IAT's down. But jeepers, $400??? I do have to say though that the look of the Cold Air Inductions CAI is the winner. It is nice looking there in the corner.

SO IMHO, give me a GREAT well proven filter element with a plastic tube because the plastic tube is less likely to heat soak than a metal one (I am ASSuming this as fact), and a VERY GOOD seal to the hood when the hood is closed, OR a pretty cover so seal dont matter....

For me, first choice is a K&N 63 with a VMAX throttle body ... or a Cold Air Inductions if a rich friend asks me what I want from Santa Clause.

M in Charlotte NC

Last edited by got2gozoom; 10-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
got2gozoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by got2gozoom View Post

In my mind, the most important thing is " HOW WELL DOES THE FILTER IN THE KIT --- FILTER !!!"
I look for proof using time in marketplace as a bellwether here, and K&N does win that one, I tempered that with knowing of some K&N products that have weaknesses and the design is never corrected, but they will give you a new filter ( YZF600R yamaha 97-2007 foam tears between filter panels). That is sort of a mixed bag then from K&N, but they are one of the most experienced.

Second to that, and VERY important, how does the CAI adapt itself for the computer in our cars ... I think that the size of the tube where the MAF is located should be near stock diameter so MAF readings stay reasonably similar - AND - intake air temps should be kept as low as possible.

Third, how is cold air getting to the filter... Injen long ram CAI wins that hands down IMHO, BUT with a scoop from the lower grill like the Apex scoop, almost any top mount CAI can be improved in terms of how much cold air it gets and Hydro-lock possibilities can be minimized..

If I had hstory to reference for the quality of the FILTRATION of the Spectre and price was THE object, I'd pick the Spectre... its a tube and a cone filter for goodness sakes. I don't like tossing hundreds away unless it is REALLY worth it. Consider this ... for the cost of the Spectre AND a CNC machined throttle body .. you are still $99 under a CAI.

For the next price up, as far as I am concerend, I'd pick K&N's 63 system and not the 71 system with the shiny metal heat soaking tube (IMHO). PLUS look at the dyno graphs closely of the 63 versus the 71, the 63 kicks in with more torque across the curve, the 71 has less than factory for a brief bit at low rpm's but then flows more than stock. WHY? I guess the plastic adds a touch more turbulence to the incoming air versus the shiny chrome tube 71 version and thereby you get a bit more even air distribution. BUT, hey these intake manifolds are obviously well tuned... so they may react just fine to a smooth solid flow of incoming air, and they do appear to as the chrome one has a touch more HP up top.

After these two choices, IMHO, the CAI system is the Cadillac. It is way overpriced IMHO like a Cadillac. I'm sure the heat resistant ceramic coating on the tube costs money and so does the heat shield insulative foam and foil in the CAI housing. Those factors do show CAI engineered to keep IAT's down. But jeepers, $400??? I do have to say though that the look of the Cold Air Inductions CAI is the winner. It is nice looking there in the corner.

SO IMHO, give me a GREAT well proven filter element with a plastic tube because the plastic tube is less likely to heat soak than a metal one (I am ASSuming this as fact), and a VERY GOOD seal to the hood when the hood is closed, OR a pretty cover so seal dont matter....

For me, first choice is a K&N 63 with a VMAX throttle body ... or a Cold Air Inductions if a rich friend asks me what I want from Santa Clause.

M in Charlotte NC
For just $4 more than the K&N, you could get a Roto-Fab
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
got2gozoom

Share the plan to make that happen Jason.... I didnt mention the RotoFab above because to me... it and the K&N are essentially the same. You've seen the K&N and the RotoFab in person I am guessing... I havent seen you type without thinking yet !.

By the way ... nearly two tenths of a second with JUST JF Ported LFX intake, JF LFX intake spacer and no CAI on yet is impressie.

I am guessing you could comment a lot about whether the LFX intake manifold resonds well or poorly to turbulent air.

Thanks for your response.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:

M in Charlotte NC
Winner , winner, chicken dinner.

I've had the CAI now for 10 months and it's been great. Best Cold air intake for our LFX motors to date.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #27
got2gozoom

THE CAI- cai is "NICE". But I do feel that for a small additional $$ cost per unit and a little less profit, CAI could have provided a plastic scoop to push air up to their CAI box from the lower grill intake. They could have even used the stock WW pump in original position below with original bolts holding their plastic scoop in place, and then even have provided a small WW resevoir that would fit up top in the engine bay.

Now, THAT would have been a complete job of engineering, and then I too would be proclaiming "winner winner chicked dinner". as it is... I say to CAI "great path - why did you quit so close to nailing it".

A complete kit like that for $399 and even I would be saying "winner winner chicken dinner"

Last edited by got2gozoom; 10-22-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Share the plan to make that happen Jason.... I didnt mention the RotoFab above because to me... it and the K&N are essentially the same. You've seen the K&N and the RotoFab in person I am guessing... I havent seen you type without thinking yet !.

By the way ... nearly two tenths of a second with JUST JF Ported LFX intake, JF LFX intake spacer and no CAI on yet is impressie.

I am guessing you could comment a lot about whether the LFX intake manifold resonds well or poorly to turbulent air.

Thanks for your response.
What plan are you talking about?

I have never seen a K&N intake for the Camaro in person, just read reviews and looked at pictures. I actually just got a Roto-Fab intake for my car to try out. Comparing pictures, the RF intake (especially the heat shield/air box) looks to by of a much higher quality than the K&N...

Typically if you read up on K&N filters, they have 4 to 6 layers of filter media... To the guy's above that are talking about a filter that actually filters, as well as performs; The Roto-Fab intakes use S&B filters which are have 8 layers of filtration media. As do the CAI Inc. brand filters, but I couldn't tell you who makes them for them. The Roto-Fab filters show up new in an S&B filter box. If you order the RF with a dry filter they did (and may still) come with an AFe Pro Dry S filter. I don't know much about those filters, but I do know that air flow wise, they do not flow as much as the oiled S&B filter option. My intake came with the AFe Pro Dry S filter, and I just happed to have a new oiled S&B filter for the Roto-Fab in stock. You can guess which one I used after slapping them on the flow bench. I'm not afraid of a little oil.

Having tried 6 or 7 intakes on my previous SS, you can bet the one I currently have won't be my last (anyone want to buy a used Roto-Fab?)

Quote:
THE CAI- cai is "NICE". But I do feel that for a small additional $$ cost per unit and a little less profit, CAI could have provided a plastic scoop to push air up to their CAI box from the lower grill intake. They could have even used the stock WW pump in original position below with original bolts holding their plastic scoop in place, and then even have provided a small WW resevoir that would fit up top in the engine bay.

Now, THAT would have been a complete job of engineering, and then I too would be proclaiming "winner winner chicked dinner". as it is... I say to CAI "great path - why did you quit so close to nailing it".

A complete kit like that for $399 and even I would be saying "winner winner chicken dinner"
I understand what you are saying, but most of these intake places don't want to make intake accessories, they want to make intakes. The scoop was an after thought to most, but the one company that actually started selling the scoop with the intake charges more... $100 dollars more for the scoop and a washer bottle relocation, over just the intake.

Are the intakes for the Camaro over priced? Some, yes. However, most places spend a lot of time on R&D, tooling, testing, etc... For the most part, they are not just an ebay special that's a tube with a cone filter.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 v6, air intake, lfx, spacer