Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
mypuppysirius

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey V6
deepest sounding headers???

I know there are many threads about different headers vs different headers and i've read them all. It sounds like they produce about the same gains, 304 stainless is going to last longer. They're going to give a CEL, which a tune will get rid of.

Now the big important question haha. i've heard a few different opinions in different forums so i'm looking for some clarification and a collection of opinions regarding some headers that will give the v6 the deepest sound possible.

Matched with MRT v2

From what i've learned it sounds like the OBX headers with no cats will give you a raspy sound (DO NOT WANT RASP). So again, for clarification, are the BBK, ARH, Stainlessworks, and other long tubes with high flow cats going to give off around the same, hopefully deeper, sound?? or are they all a little different? I know the Stainlessworks comes in two sizes... Will the 2 3/4" be deeper sounding than the 2 5/8" (hopefully i remembered those sizes right). Whats the point of having the two different sizes??

Also, i believe all these aftermarket long tubes bolt onto the factory pipes, (i'd like to be able to switch them out if i needed to for some reason with the dealer) but just wanted to make sure what i end up getting ARE bolt ons. So if you have to do any cutting for these, and heads up would be awesome.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
all long tubes will give you rasp, Doug Thorley Shorty headers give you the deepest sound imo
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
The additional flow of LT's will lead to more rasp, OBX don't have cats which may add a little more flow and maybe a little more rasp, but I would say the res x should help with all of that. Ask catman he just put on OBX with the MRT 2 and seems the res x made it all come together. I don't think one LT brand is going to be much deeper from another brand though.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I do know that bbk is deeper than obx because of the cats. That's the reason I'm probably going with bbk's. I'm going to wait it out until doug thorley releases their v6 headers to see what they come up with since options are always a good thing. I'm not bashing obx in any way. The resonated x-pipe will take care of the rasp so you could do that. In my opinion though, I would rather spend a little extra for bbk and since I talked to a person who had my exact setup and he liked it, I'm going with them.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Doug Thorleys. Check my vids.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw24 View Post
Doug Thorleys. Check my vids.

long tubes or shorty ? and where are your vids
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
long tubes or shorty ? and where are your vids
Doug Thorley doesn't have Long Tubes...yet...

you should wait and see what Ivan@Southwest Speed updates us on their progress before pulling the trigger...

They make quality products without the inflated price!
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
what do they have in the works ?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT

with dt catback, OBX LT's and Magnaflow high flow cats. Video sound is not the best quality but you get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypuppysirius View Post
I know there are many threads about different headers vs different headers and i've read them all. It sounds like they produce about the same gains, 304 stainless is going to last longer. They're going to give a CEL, which a tune will get rid of.

Now the big important question haha. i've heard a few different opinions in different forums so i'm looking for some clarification and a collection of opinions regarding some headers that will give the v6 the deepest sound possible.

Matched with MRT v2

From what i've learned it sounds like the OBX headers with no cats will give you a raspy sound (DO NOT WANT RASP). So again, for clarification, are the BBK, ARH, Stainlessworks, and other long tubes with high flow cats going to give off around the same, hopefully deeper, sound?? or are they all a little different? I know the Stainlessworks comes in two sizes... Will the 2 3/4" be deeper sounding than the 2 5/8" (hopefully i remembered those sizes right). Whats the point of having the two different sizes??

Also, i believe all these aftermarket long tubes bolt onto the factory pipes, (i'd like to be able to switch them out if i needed to for some reason with the dealer) but just wanted to make sure what i end up getting ARE bolt ons. So if you have to do any cutting for these, and heads up would be awesome.

All input is appreciated. Thanks!!
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
The additional flow of LT's will lead to more rasp, OBX don't have cats which may add a little more flow and maybe a little more rasp, but I would say the res x should help with all of that. Ask catman he just put on OBX with the MRT 2 and seems the res x made it all come together. I don't think one LT brand is going to be much deeper from another brand though.

Indeed, the Magnaflow X pipe (11386) cleaned up the sound considerably. My buddy says that it for sure is deeper sounding now. For the cost of the OBX I personally do not think any of the other brands are any better or worse. Just depends on if you want the off road pipe or high flow cats.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
@lime

Ivan@SouthwestSpeed is in collaboration with Doug Thorley whom is starting the development of their longtubes. There is a thread here about it.
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
i'm having a hard time believing any shorty header has a deaper tone than any long tube...
Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
gman1970
gmans 10

Drives: 2010 victory red ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarzabek009 View Post

with dt catback, OBX LT's and Magnaflow high flow cats. Video sound is not the best quality but you get the idea.
noticed the raymond sticker on bumper....they suck and i'll never go back to them ....
Old 02-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1970 View Post
noticed the raymond sticker on bumper....they suck and i'll never go back to them ....
Whats wrong with them? They weren't much help anyways, I kind of went there like I went to walmart, saw something I liked for a good price and bought it.
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
gjarzabek009 is offline   Reply With Quote