Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Parts needed for a DIY cam install and estimated cost?

Hey folks, looking for some experiences/guidance with doing a cam install. My ultimate intention is to do a centri supercharger but my budget will not allow that for some time, probably two winters from now. In the meantime I have been looking at doing a cam as an akternative but trying to do with CORRECTLY with as little budget as possible. I know I could just go to the shop nearest me and get one of their full cam packages for between $2700 and $3000 and includes the following items;

•Custom Cam of choice
•Comp Cams 921 Springs
•Comp Cams Titanium Retainers
•New Valve seals
•160 Degree Thermostat
•NGK TR-5 plugs
•ASP Under Drive Pulley
•GM crank bolt
•2 new belts
•Ported oil pump
•Ported throttle body
•Front main seal
•Water pump gaskets
•Double Timing Chain
•Full Dyno Tuning

I am possibly planning on doing the install myself, not concerned with that part as I am mechanically inclinced enough to do so and have the helping hands of a father that has been a mechanic for 45+ years so I have labor covered. So with labor accounted for and knowing to get the car tuned will cost me roughly $500 what from the above list would be deemed necessary (and yes I know the camshaft is necessary ), which items are "probably good to do" and what am I looking at cost-wise for parts. I know I could just walk into my local shop and get what I know is a proven and quality setup but almost $3000 is not whaty I am looking to put out at this point. If I can stay betyween $1000-$1250 for parts and tuning I will be happy but let me know if that too is unrealistic and I'll just reset my expectations to knowing I'll just have to wait longer and save more.

As for cam characteristics, I am looking for something that will eventually play nice with a centrifugal s/c, has stock-like driveability and helps keep the torque from falling off until later in the rpm range as this is what I look like right now

This is similar to what I would like the curve to be after the cam where torque doesn't start to fall of until after 5500 or so.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!

Last edited by robertway; 08-06-2010 at 06:20 AM.
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Mornin' folks, just wanted to bump once to see if anyone could offer some feedback. PMs are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote