Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
cabaret2

Drives: 2001 Acura TL
Question No Push Start?!?! Why Not

How come the Camaro isn't going to have a push start?? The Challenger has it, even an $18,000 Nissan Sentra has it. Cmon!!!! To me it is simply about technological advancement. If it can be placed in a Sentra, it can at least be placed in the higher up Camaro. Anybody agree?
cabaret2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Frankly I like the feel of turning the key when I fire up an engine so I prefer not having push button.

I'm sure GM has a good reason for not including it, but I don't know what it is.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
i3litzkrieg

Drives: custom camaro 95 3.4 v6 300hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Frankly I like the feel of turning the key when I fire up an engine so I prefer not having push button.

I'm sure GM has a good reason for not including it, but I don't know what it is.

+1 agree ..........seriously when i start a car using a button...... it feeels like im turning on a power wheels .................but i love remote start engine..i like either key or remote start , but definetely not a stupid star t button
Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Personally, I don't want it on the new Camaro.

Nothing against "push button" starters, (my brother's C6 has it, and it is pretty cool) but to me, it just doesn't fit the Camaro's persona.

Also, everyone wants their Camaro to have the biggest, baddest V8, with a great stereo, etc., and they want the price to be affordable for everyone. Options such as "push button" start, "glass roofs", etc., add up.

For me, just give me the basics; a great performing V8, a strong manual transmission, and a chassis/suspension to handle the "twisties" as well as the straights.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think it's something may have to do with cost. I know, yeah - you say a little Nissan has it...but does that Nissan have a Big, honkin' V8?

I think there are a few little gimmicky things on this car that added up, so they took some of the less important ones, and changed them/ opted for the cheaper choice - so that the funds can go elsewhere (i.e. engine, offsetting IRS).

Secondly, I suppose this is a decent time to mention it...

Anybody think that the Camaro may have an In-dash start? Take a close look at this picture. See that little indentation? That looks to me like an optimal place for an in-dash mechanism.............

My reasoning is, that - again - this is a prototype vehicle, so not everything is finished. And as such; perhaps they just slapped on a parts-bin steering column, because the in-dash mechanism isn't ready??

Besides...what other use could that indent have? It's certainly not aesthetically pleasing (it's not an evil, though).
Old 02-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A key adds to the connection with the car, like a manual transmission. You can take it away and still have a great car, but it wont be the same.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I hope it gets an in-dash ignition. Just a little different than the norm, and harder to break into.

I would have liked push button start. Keep the key in my pocket, push an appropriately tough button, and feel the rumble come on. Sounds good to me.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Navy Blue
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2001 Chevy Impala
i'm with stovt001, my impala has it and i think it gives the car a little bit more of a touch of class ya know, but thats just me.
Navy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
I was looking at the photo of the switch blade key and I was thinking that it would work better in the dash than on the colume.
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Gotta leave something for future additions...

Personally I don't care one way or another.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
Sweeper

Drives: 2008 Suburban
it doesn't need it.
Sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
So for the people liking changes, is in-dash key or push button more important? To me, push button is a cool feature for convenience (leave the keys in your pocket, no scratches, no clinking keys...) but more importantly, in dash ignition seems harder to break into and hot wire.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
it doesn't need it.

Key-Fobs are cool, and all --- but for me - it's not necessary. Simplicity=lower cost>=better BANG for your buck.

The less gizmos, the better. Give me a superior drivetrain, with classic styling, and that's all you really need. If you want gizmos, buy an import luxo-coupe.

The Camaro is, and never was, all about that. Am I wrong?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Would be cool as a option for some people. Personally I want a key start.. I don't want to be pushing a button to start it like a microwave. Lol.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote