Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you rate the TAPshift system?
5 - Exceptional 28 22.76%
4 45 36.59%
3 - Average 37 30.08%
2 8 6.50%
1 - Poor 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #29
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
The tapshift function is good, but the buttons themselves are way too small. You need to get one of the aftermarket one like the Hurst jagan I got. The clutch itself is not a duel clutch for the LT and the SS but pretty good nonetheless.

You can also see my DIY full Carbon fiber film lol. The tapshift do take a little bit to jump the gears, but it's short enough that the L99 gets almost the same 0-60 numbers as the LS3 on average. Basically just tap before your foot input as if it's a manual. I normally just sit in D or S on local roads. There are 2 situations you def want to tapshift over full auto. First one is drag from 0, since full auto mode only drops down to 2nd gear even at full stop. If you sit in full auto mode, you will be "launching" in 2nd gear and the car will try to shift to 1st once it detects your heavy foot input. So you have to either tap back to 1st gear then reset it back to S (the fastest way to do 0-60 on an auto according to some ppl), or simply tap through the gears. 2nd situation would be on the highways. It feels to me the full auto mode only drops to 4th gear when you floor the car in 6th gear. So when you want to scare someone in the passenger seat, you should tap shift down to 3rd before you hammer it~ Basically waiting for the car to read your foot input then auto shift is always slower than tap shift slightly ahead of time
Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #30
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
I use tapshift about 90% of my time behind the wheel. The only time I do not like to use it is when I want to go from 0-whatever in the shortest amount of time! The only way I can think to explain it is that while using tapshift there is a transition in shifts that just isn't there in S or D. The reason I use tapshift the most is to avoid the AFM and to get the most sound from my rear end! Downshifting is fun as well!

Like others have stated, the Sport mode is quite cool. If not using tapshift I'm in Sport mode. It has surprised me a few times on turns or when I brake hard in short succession.

I also have to comment on the aftermarket shifter that some have posted about. I absolutely cannot imagine shifting gears with it in my car! I've actually tried to imagine it in my car and to me it would just be too awkward. I'd have to rotate my arm/hand in order to reach those buttons; my thumb is only so long. A T-handle shifter with the buttons under the T or on the driver side of the T seems like a much better idea. I could also possibly see it work if the buttons were smaller and more towards the top. The design shown is a definite no for me.
The shifters you are reffering to are actually designed so that you shift with your thumb with your hand resting on top of the shifter, it is quite ergonomic and feels quite natural but everyone has their own preferences and it may not be for everyone.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Three things I like about the Vitesse...

vs. The Hurst. 1. Price, $90 vs. $200. 2. Vitesse doesn't get in the way of the stalks. 3. Ease of installation
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #32
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydahog View Post
this is what i got..no more steering wheel tap...
I like this.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caroline View Post
Everything about the stock transmission has been said. Drive is for economy, sport is for higher revving Automatic shifts, and manual is for fun.

A good transmission tune will make it even more fun.

You want some fun with your Auto transmission L99? Get the aluminum paddles from Horizon570 and a tune from Ted Jannetty.. Go crazy.

Makes a HUGE difference in how it drives.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
They started putting actual paddles on the 12's in place of the buttons the 10's and 11's had. They are easier to use now.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #35
tys2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
I bought and built my car for RACING! and I made sure I bought an Auto!! I road and Rally Race. If the trany isn't shifting like you want, find a good tuner and with the correct mods, you wouldn't have it any other way!

Without a tune, even in sport mode, it will seem slow to act or not shifting quickly. You definately need a custome tune if you truly want shifting precise, quick and if you race in any way.

So I give a 2 for stock SS paddle shifting straight from OE.

I give a 5 after a custome tune.

Stick or Auto, it's up to the individual. People ask me all the time why I went Auto for a race car. We have 5th gen Camaro's up here pulling 11's in the quarter with auto's.
I think people cant get past just pushing a button to change gears. They feel you need to lift your fight foot of the gas, push the clutch with your left foot, let go of the steering wheel with your right hand so you can shift and that makes your car a race car. It's 2012!
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #36
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I am looking for feedback from Camaro owners that have the TAPshift automatic. Although I hate the thought of an automatic transmission in a Camaro, my next weekend car may be an automatic so my wife can enjoy it too.

I’m looking to hear what people think of the three modes (Sport, Manual, and Auto I think??) and how the car responds to the steering wheel mounted paddles. Is it fun to drive in “manual mode”? Does the car shift quickly and sharply, or does it lag?

If you’ve driven others with this type of transmission, how does TAPshift compare to other systems…such as Dodge’s Autostik?

Any problems or consistent failure issues?

Also, what to people who normally drive true manual cars think of the TAPshift?

I also will add a 1 to 5 poll, five being the best, so people can rate the transmission.

Thanks for the input!
Hey man I like you was very hesitinate on getting an auto, I have owned alot of sports cars and they have always been standard. With that being said I needed a change, I'm only 36 but maybe getting older has made me lazy.
I will say this even though I was skeptical when buying the auto I could not be happier. Sure I miss shifting here and there but overall you can't beat having the best of both worlds. Put it in drive when your lazy or even M mode for a more spirited lazy drive or Throw it in M and start using the paddles(also Known as S mode) for pure awesomeness. I use the paddles I would say 90 percent of the time and I would grade them a 4.5 out of 5, I haven't noticed any Lag as well. The reason they don't get that extra .5 is simply cause it's not an actual standard but the thrill factor is there and I love this car! I would say probably more then any other car I've owned (X shelby and cobra owner)...
The shifts are precise and crisp. I would imagine that a high end exotic might be more precise but dam this thing has to be close.
I own a 2010 Ram Hemi with Tap shift and a 2012 Camry with tap and paddle shifters and the manual shifting in both those vehicles is just plain mush, especially the camry. The Ram is a little better cause I do have some mods in it, like tune, so it is a tad crisper but not like the Camaro.
I would grade my other vehicles, Ram 3.5 and Camry 2.5-3...
Overall I think you'll have a new outlook on auto after you buy your car, you'll probably be like me and wonder why you'll ever need standard again.
One more thing......Once you mod if you do, it only enhances the paddle shifting...even better over the stock if thats possible, epecially with A good TUNE!!
Oh by the way auto is faster, they never miss a shift, Good Luck and Keep us posted on your feedback after buying yours!!
Eric B.
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #37
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
what do i think of autos? i can see why people may get them. personally, i do not care what is faster by a half of second. the manual is simply fun, and i get a different feel of the car. so i would never get a sports car in auto, ok many a Duel clutch tranny. but that may be later in life.
I probably said this a billion times...I'll never get auto , gotta have a standard in a sports car, I've even been in pissing matches on various forums how standard is the best and auto sucks..
Now look at me I'll probably never get standard again, especially with technology today...Auto is only going to get better and better...
I might be wrong here but I would be willing to bet you will change your mind in time my friend...

Shifting,and clutching it just gets old, especially in city style driving...
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #38
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
I use mine all the time on the street and when im autocrossing or Road Racing. I have a 2010 and I have added the Hurst paddle shifter (the smaller ones) which even make it more enjoyable and gives you a better response in a corner. Also the biggest help was the addition of a handheld SCT X3 Tuner with a customn tune by Ted Jannetty which includes the automatic. You can really feal the difference in shift points!
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #39
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Test drove an auto and tried to use it... it wouldn't let me downshift aggressively. If you want a real tap shift experience, drive a Porsche with tiptronic shifters. Thats probably what spoiled it for me, driving my dads Porsche then comparing it to that.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #40
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Test drove an auto and tried to use it... it wouldn't let me downshift aggressively. If you want a real tap shift experience, drive a Porsche with tiptronic shifters. Thats probably what spoiled it for me, driving my dads Porsche then comparing it to that.
My guess is you don't have enough time behind the wheel in an auto camaro, cause downshifting is probably my favorite thing to do..Down shifting agressively is top notch in mine, but mine does have Jannetty tune...probably why my average MPG's is at 14, lol.......

Wanna drive mine..That way you can re form your opinion.....
Old 02-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #41
rdono
Cavallino

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IMO-IMO
who makes the best AM paddles

Ok all you auto guys with AM paddles who's are the best and why. Hurst, Vitesse or who.

Let me be honest my 2010 tapshift buttons suck, no way good for road racing, autocross and not great on the street (esp. in a turn). So I will tune the tranny and add paddles. Help me out with feedback.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #42
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdono View Post
Ok all you auto guys with AM paddles who's are the best and why. Hurst, Vitesse or who.

Let me be honest my 2010 tapshift buttons suck, no way good for road racing, autocross and not great on the street (esp. in a turn). So I will tune the tranny and add paddles. Help me out with feedback.
If you're not one to drive with both hands on the wheel and don't like chasing down the paddles my shifters are an option you may like. I am just starting a group buy you may be interested in.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote