Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Not to rain on anyones Parade, You must understand that 700 RWHP for 4 seconds on a dyno is Lightyears from 700 RWHP on the Texas Mile.

A dyno sheet is Not Realistic in most cases especially if you plan to beyond the 1/4 mile or your local car show.

As the RWHP Number goes Up the Time you can hold the car Wide Open Goes Down Dramatically.

Above 650 RWHP Internal Engine modifications should be Seriously considered along with a Larger Supercharger and intercooler system, and RACE GAS is a Must.

Anyone who has set any records did it on Race Gas.

The intercooler system is only as good as the size of the Cooler inside the Blower.

You have to Spin the Crap out of the little 1900 to make 700s and that makes Heat faster.

At High blower speeds we See Temp Rise of 90 Degrees F in 9 Seconds, whether starting at 34 degrees F or 104 Degrees F.

Ice water VS Standard Air To water.

So a Larger Blower would Spin Slower Making Less Heat and would also carry a Larger Intercooler inside the blower to Dissipate that heat at a faster rate.

Hope this info Helps.

Ted.
Not to rain on your parade...but I don't think the OP was looking for record setting numbers. I think he would have asked for folks running WAYY more than 700rwhp.

And also, so you're saying that dyno's are useless? I know there's dyno queens...but as a tool, a dyno serves a purpose as measuring output of the engine correct? So if they're useless, why have them?..Does your shop have them?

It seems you've learned from your mishaps on the lsx 454 and play it safe now hmm?
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
I just know what has come from the Livernois guys has proven to be reliable, living and taking a beating, so far have been in front on every race without issue. Yes a better heat exchanger is used, Yes race gas is used to protect against detonation which is making more rwhp than when dynoed on pump gas pending on the type of fuel. A dyno is a very good accurate tuning tool especially when a baseline is performed first. Very few people are trying to run the salt flats with the pedal wide open for long miles and most all performance junkies are aware of heat soak!
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post
Not to rain on your parade...but I don't think the OP was looking for record setting numbers. I think he would have asked for folks running WAYY more than 700rwhp.

And also, so you're saying that dyno's are useless? I know there's dyno queens...but as a tool, a dyno serves a purpose as measuring output of the engine correct? So if they're useless, why have them?..Does your shop have them?

It seems you've learned from your mishaps on the lsx 454 and play it safe now hmm?
Everything is subject to your interpretation, but not necessarily what I wrote.

The mishap with the LSX 454 was Strictly a casting Flaw, .173 wall thickness where it broke.

The same car with an RHS Block make 1017 RWHP and went 9.2 and we just added 450 HP of NOS to it.

Don't Try and talk down to me, I am Sharing over 32 Years experience in engine building and tuning.

Too many times a thread like this makes people make bad choices without knowing all the facts.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ss-booya View Post

He didn't say anything you said he did. You took what words he used and took them way out of context. I'm sure he knows more than you on this subject. Alot more.
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
He didn't say anything you said he did. You took what words he used and took them way out of context. I'm sure he knows more than you on this subject. Alot more.
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
kush396

Drives: chevy
Livernoise did all my work and 1000 miles later all is good (thanks Andy and all of the crew) 769 at the wheels and Mickey Thompson puts it on the ground great almost no spin , I have not had it to the track but plan on it soon
kush396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Not to rain on anyones Parade, You must understand that 700 RWHP for 4 seconds on a dyno is Lightyears from 700 RWHP on the Texas Mile.

A dyno sheet is Not Realistic in most cases especially if you plan to beyond the 1/4 mile or your local car show.

As the RWHP Number goes Up the Time you can hold the car Wide Open Goes Down Dramatically.

Above 650 RWHP Internal Engine modifications should be Seriously considered along with a Larger Supercharger and intercooler system, and RACE GAS is a Must.

Anyone who has set any records did it on Race Gas.

The intercooler system is only as good as the size of the Cooler inside the Blower.

You have to Spin the Crap out of the little 1900 to make 700s and that makes Heat faster.

At High blower speeds we See Temp Rise of 90 Degrees F in 9 Seconds, whether starting at 34 degrees F or 104 Degrees F.

Ice water VS Standard Air To water.

So a Larger Blower would Spin Slower Making Less Heat and would also carry a Larger Intercooler inside the blower to Dissipate that heat at a faster rate.

Hope this info Helps.

Ted.
If this was on Facebook, I would hit the 'like' button. Took the words/thoughts right out of my mouth....errr keyboard.

I do slightly disagree on the power limitations, but these LS-A Camaros are 2 years old max, and I think some people are going to be posting a lot of 'I'm getting a built engine!!!!!' threads very soon with all of these customer-owned rolling test beds being put together by many shops, making 800rwhp 4 second hero pulls on the stock blower / heat pump.

There's a reason we like the Mile and road courses. Shows off your work for much longer periods than 4-10 seconds.
Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
It's all in the combo. Our 9-Second shop car (which i think about a year later no one has surpassed) was done on race gas, but don't forget it went 10.1x on 93 octane fuel. That same car, in the hands of it's current owner, is road raced almost ever weekend. so almost 4k miles later of PURE race use without a single change to the combo (besides being on the pump gas tune) and no issues. Another stage 3 car we did goes consistent 10.40-10.50 on a 20" drag radial and that is a customer who had never drag raced a day in her life before we built the car.

I agree, a dyno number is just that, a number. Good thing all the cars we have built back up those numbers with 1/4 mile numbers too. I see far too many impressive dyno numbers with 11 second time slips.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@HennesseyPerformance View Post
If this was on Facebook, I would hit the 'like' button. Took the words/thoughts right out of my mouth....errr keyboard.

I do slightly disagree on the power limitations, but these LS-A Camaros are 2 years old max, and I think some people are going to be posting a lot of 'I'm getting a built engine!!!!!' threads very soon with all of these customer-owned rolling test beds being put together by many shops, making 800rwhp 4 second hero pulls on the stock blower / heat pump.

There's a reason we like the Mile and road courses. Shows off your work for much longer periods than 4-10 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
It's all in the combo. Our 9-Second shop car (which i think about a year later no one has surpassed) was done on race gas, but don't forget it went 10.1x on 93 octane fuel. That same car, in the hands of it's current owner, is road raced almost ever weekend. so almost 4k miles later of PURE race use without a single change to the combo (besides being on the pump gas tune) and no issues. Another stage 3 car we did goes consistent 10.40-10.50 on a 20" drag radial and that is a customer who had never drag raced a day in her life before we built the car.

I agree, a dyno number is just that, a number. Good thing all the cars we have built back up those numbers with 1/4 mile numbers too. I see far too many impressive dyno numbers with 11 second time slips.

JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
If I was going to do mods, I'd take mine to Livernois. It's local for me and they have a great rep with the numbers to back it up. Not sure I would go over the 700 whp mark tho. Staying stock with rotofab for now. It's faster than I can use on the street and I don't track my car.
But all of the sponsors on here seems to be awesome. I'd pick my tuner based on location probably. All the big shops do amazing LSA work, and there are just as many lesser known companies doing similar packages.
RedCamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCamaroZL1 View Post
If I was going to do mods, I'd take mine to Livernois. It's local for me and they have a great rep with the numbers to back it up. Not sure I would go over the 700 whp mark tho. Staying stock with rotofab for now. It's faster than I can use on the street and I don't track my car.
But all of the sponsors on here seems to be awesome. I'd pick my tuner based on location probably. All the big shops do amazing LSA work, and there are just as many lesser known companies doing similar packages.
With a tad under 9K miles now on my Livernois Stage III build, its running great...

I plan to run the Texas Mile with it next round!
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #26
The Baron

Drives: 2013 zl1
750 out of a lsa isn't the voodoo magic some if the people or shops you hear from make it out to be.

1 pulley combo.. the car needs to make around 15-16 pounds.. I have my method that the big shops tend to not use because its cheaper..but it can be done a couple ways
2 blower really could could use porting. . At least the entire inlet.
3 larger throttle body ( this falls back on blower inlet porting as well..
4 ANY cnc version of a ls3 or lsa head. Everybody h as one and ALL the major shops fliw charts are almost identical. . All flow around 350 on the intake side.
5 Headers.. I prefer to spend my money on as much bang for the buck as possible, so I have texas speed 2"primary's..good quality headers for 500 bucks
6 camshaft... this is where the flood gates open 9n option's. . Anything iver 600 lift and 230s in duaration will make said power.. its a matter of how radical you want to go... matching springs are obviously part of the deal....
7. Some sort of cooling system upgrade for the blower.. I use meth because I can literally put ANY fuel in my car and know it wont detonate. . My mist recent pass was a 10.3 and it was in quick trip 93... I can run 91 if I cant find anything else and coukd prob run 89..... meth is simple, DOES NOT effect the blower like some would argue and when or if there is a issue of me either running out or a pump failure, the car can be tuned to go safe when it sees IAT rise above a thresh hold that indicates its not working..so the your car will blow up when or if the meth fails argument is wrong as well... I purposely made passes during tuning with the meth OFF to set the car up incase if failure. . As any good tuner could do..

thats it...no magic shortblock work needed. Now at this level the fuel system will need to be addressed. . Id 850s with a squash fuel system was my answer, but I plan on making a 1000 when I swap the blower.. at the 700ish level a mutated ctsv pump setup will work alot cheaper..

this car may be new, but the drive line isn't guys.. these shops are nit doing anything new... there have been 9 sec ctsvs for YEARS...
I have done it without big shop help.. my car is number 4 on the list only because I refused to put a drag pack on it and am still running 20 inch wheels. .. its not hard to have a bottom 10 sec zl1 that can be driven DAILY..
That all being said.. forgive typing errors.. on my phone..

2011 cts-v coupe (pinky) wifes car.. ls9 cam c.a.i. 11.44
2007 corvette vert ..retired..
2013 zl1 stock blower stock ci 20" wheels 10.36 135...so far..

Last edited by The Baron; 07-30-2013 at 03:01 PM.
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #27
All-American ZL1
Chevy Power

Drives: 13 ZL1 M6 #123, '98 Jeep Wrangler
Out of curiosity since you've done the work yourself, I imagine you haven't spent all that much. Would you mind sharing how much you have into it so far, not including the forged internals, just the stuff listed above.
2013 #123, M6 2.38 upper, ID850, dynatech 1 7/8 headers, cats, X pipe, ADM CAI, 160 Tstat, Hurst line lock, tune by FSP
Sebring 2:39.20 MPSS
All-American ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw

Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
Out of curiosity since you've done the work yourself, I imagine you haven't spent all that much. Would you mind sharing how much you have into it so far, not including the forged internals, just the stuff listed above.
X2