Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
CamaroTrent

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Camaro 1SS or Challenger SRT8

Im a 21 year old college student and Ive had my 2011 Camaro SS (L99) for about a month now, my buddy has had his Challenger SRT8 for about 6 months. We have already took both out to the track already and the Camaro is cleaarly the faster and the cheaper of the two, my only concern is is that i believe the Challenger is much more luxery. Did i make the right decision? I would love to hear what anybody has to say about the pros and cons of the two.

P.S. I hate Mustangs so please no for comments
CamaroTrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
too late, you own the Camaro, unless you want to lose your ass in a trade, I'd be happy with what you have knowing you got the better car.

Oh and did you just compare a 1SS to an SRT? Please. Of course the SRT is more luxurious, its the top of the line... you got an entry level V8. I will say the Challenger is a nice car and given the income, i'd have both.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Camaro is better.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
What do you think people on a Camaro forum are going to say?

You made a great choice in the Camaro.

The reason I first looked at the 5th gen Camaro is because it just looks better than any other muscle car. The only other car that I think looked this good was the first gen Camaros.

Last edited by Darth_Emma; 12-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
Take the srt8 for a spin and you will be positive that you made the right choice. When I bought my 2SS it was between the camaro and the challenger. Loved the challengers looks but test drove it right after I test drove a Camaro. Both manual transmissions. The challenger had an easier to use clutch but try one high speed corner and you will be glad you have the camaro. The challenger is much too heavy and much too slow to cost what it does. Extremely overpriced. Sure looks sexy though.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
I also debated between the 2ss and srt8 but the 10 grand and $20+ less a month in insurance made picking the the 2ss easy.

Like you said the SS is a better performer. so I think you made out great. The only thing the srt8 has is a hard drive built in to store songs, the key only has to be in the car to start it. and navigation. to me those options are not worth the performance cuts and extra cost.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
My uncles friend had a SRT8 Challenger and he said that my car look way better in the inside and out. and thats what i think too.

The challengers are over priced for what the car is! IMO
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
You realy did make the right choice.

The Chally is awesome. I'd say congrats either way.

BUT, you said enough for me right here;

Quote:
We have already took both out to the track already and the Camaro is cleaarly the faster and the cheaper of the two
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTrent View Post
Im a 21 year old college student and Ive had my 2011 Camaro SS (L99) for about a month now, my buddy has had his Challenger SRT8 for about 6 months. We have already took both out to the track already and the Camaro is cleaarly the faster and the cheaper of the two, my only concern is is that i believe the Challenger is much more luxery. Did i make the right decision? I would love to hear what anybody has to say about the pros and cons of the two.

I had the same decision to make and I chose the 1SS. The SRT8 was $12,000.00 more than the SS and to add insult to injury, had a do gooder gas guzzler tax on top of the steep price, I love my 1ss and have no regrets.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
The 2011 Challenger SRT 8 will get the 6.4 hemi with 470 hp along with suspension refinements and the obvious price increase. It will narrow the performance gap with the Camaro and the Mustang. Yes, it is more of a luxery car, but as mentioned in the previous post, it costs 30% more than the 1SS. There are also engine stalling problems reported on some SRTs, which Chrysler hasn't come up with a fix yet. So, I'd say you made the right choice and need to stick with what you have.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
Jide25

Drives: Escalade EXT - Was a 2010 Camaro
My 2 cents - I look at the challenger as a car that looks bad to cruise around in and if you get the srt8 version you have a little kick to it. An SS camaro always looks ready to go though. I think the challengers are more of a "cruiser" and the SS can be any of the above.

Shake N' Bake
Jide25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
although i'm a camaro guy i'll call this one right down the middle and admit the SRT8 would be incredibly hard to say no to. it's way out of my price range but that thing is a BOSS. i remember seeing a black SRT8 w/ dark silver stripes and logos on it while i was at the shop getting my Chevy emblems done in black. was VERY impressed.

the SRT8 is the only challenger i'd consider, the other ones are just not strong enough for the money you're spending. if you came to me with both keys and said SS or SRT8 i'd probably say SS........but i would honestly have to think it out for quite a while
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
You got a 1SS, which is the base V8.

He got the fully loaded car.

Obviously a base model is more luxurious then a base, as it has more features and nicer options.

Had you gotten the 2SS or the 2LT, with the RS (which are both basically fully loaded), you would without question have the more superior car in every way.
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroTrent View Post

I am a Dodge guy at heart and I had some of the exact same thoughts/concerns that you have mentioned. However, the big selling point on the Camaro for me is I was able to buy the 2SS Camaro which was equipped just as nicely as the SRT-8 Challenger, but for about $8,000 less. I still love the Challenger, and I think they are about as nice of a car as there is out there, but for the price I couldn’t justify the extra money just for the brand. For the price and the performance I get from my Camaro, the Challenger SRT-8 just doesn’t compete.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote