Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II)

View Poll Results: Camaro5fest 2011 - East coast or west coast?
East coast 353 1.39%
West coast 211 0.83%
Central US 204 0.80%
PQ's House 24,638 96.98%
Voters: 25406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 AM   #323
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
The only feedback I would have for SGMP for future events is to 'staff up' at the opening gate for the first hour...other than that...that facility had their 'stuff' together!
Hey...we got up there as quickly as we could! HA!

No...actually, this is just one more part that we learned from. We had 3 lanes taking entrance money. But, with over 400 cars lining up to get in with only 3 lanes? WOW. Cash only could have sped it up. Regardless, we have thought about this too. It was a shocker how many were lined up...and I personally didn't think about that many cars trying to get in at once. It'll get worked on, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
it should be done by the time camarofest2 take place
i believe this information came from TAG.
Nope...not from me. But, I did mention their track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Has anyone ever driven to Kansas?

This is how it would go for us.

Oh look, desert......................more desert.............................some more desert.............

oh look, corn................................some more corn............................some more corn..................................

hey, is that wheat? no, more corn.............................................. ...
................................some more corn.............................................. ................................

j/k

but seriously...........
Long road trips with nothign to see are some of the best road trips to take. It gives an opportunity (for me) to think....and just relax. There are no stressors...just me and the road. I love that time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
This is a huge discriminator. Where ever we go has to have room for everything in one facility. Drag strip, autox/road course, parking/pits/camping, sponors space close to the events.

I don't see us spreading it out over multiple facilities even if they are close.

I don't want to leave the track to go elsewhere. It has to be an all in one facility. You go in, you park, you decide what you are going to do, and you get in line to do it. You don't leave to go 10 miles elsewhere. Everything is going to be located at one facility....for sure. AND...it MUST have a 1/4 and an autocross/road course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie13 View Post
PIR doesn't show a 1320, or am I missing something?

NOOOOWWWW Firebird - WOW, talk about versatile? Care to Drag Race Boats & Camaros for C5FII?

Don't care, I'll drive another 1300 miles one way for this.
FIREBIRD.....and this is exactly what I've been saying!

Yes...I'm in for Firebird as one of my personal top contenders...

And...can you say Bondourant?

Do a quick google search and tell me what you find when you search.

THIS is why we need more time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
OK time for another Pedders Poll

A. Cross Country Cruise in a Convertible 5th Gen

OR

B. A night with

There are no toher choices. Pick A or B.
Dude...a night with....DUH.

Seriously...anyone can drive....but her? Oh hell yeah.....loo
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1c1ous View Post
I think we should keep it in SGMP. Doesnt matter if its in Alaska, we'll be there. The folks on West coast could just move out East. Problem solved.
I can tell you this. SGMP is #1 on my list for East coast EVERY year. Those guys went above and beyond. But, think about this...can we outgrow that venue? Maybe....

for now, Valdosta is #1 on my list for the next East coast event.....for SURE.

And yes...we are chatting it up a whole lot...talking to tracks...getting info... We are working on it. I like the suggestions, though. I mean...dang...11 more pages for me to read...

We thank you for all the great suggestions!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #324
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
I might add a thought to the Camaro Fest discussion, events like Bike Week, Turkey Rod Run, Pigeon Forge, and Strugis have their events in the same location year after year at the same time of the year which allows these events to grow. People like consistency, you know what you are going to get. Its like going to your favorite eating spot. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #325
Mod4SS
Resident Expert

Drives: Supercharged 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
...I don't want to leave the track to go elsewhere. It has to be an all in one facility. You go in, you park, you decide what you are going to do, and you get in line to do it. You don't leave to go 10 miles elsewhere. Everything is going to be located at one facility....for sure. AND...it MUST have a 1/4 and an autocross/road course...

FIREBIRD.....and this is exactly what I've been saying! Yes...I'm in for Firebird as one of my personal top contenders...
Glad to see we're on the same page!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #326
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Does Bondurant have a drag strip?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #327
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

No...actually, this is just one more part that we learned from. We had 3 lanes taking entrance money. But, with over 400 cars lining up to get in with only 3 lanes? WOW. Cash only could have sped it up. Regardless, we have thought about this too. It was a shocker how many were lined up...and I personally didn't think about that many cars trying to get in at once. It'll get worked on, that's for sure.

Track credentials could be purchased in advance through this site or at a location at the host hotel. Then, one (or more) of the lines going in to the track can be an express line. Just like toll roads do it here in FL.

Nope...not from me. But, I did mention their track.

Long road trips with nothign to see are some of the best road trips to take. It gives an opportunity (for me) to think....and just relax. There are no stressors...just me and the road. I love that time... Absolutely true.

I don't want to leave the track to go elsewhere. It has to be an all in one facility. You go in, you park, you decide what you are going to do, and you get in line to do it. You don't leave to go 10 miles elsewhere. Everything is going to be located at one facility....for sure. AND...it MUST have a 1/4 and an autocross/road course.

FIREBIRD.....and this is exactly what I've been saying!

Yes...I'm in for Firebird as one of my personal top contenders...

FIREBIRD would be a great western location and they rarely have bad weather.

And...can you say Bondourant?

Do a quick google search and tell me what you find when you search.

THIS is why we need more time...

Dude...a night with....DUH. A picture is worth a thousand words ->

Seriously...anyone can drive....but her? Oh hell yeah.....loo

I can tell you this. SGMP is #1 on my list for East coast EVERY year. Those guys went above and beyond. But, think about this...can we outgrow that venue? Maybe....

Laid out a differently SGMP could handle a multiples of what we had their this year. SGMP IS one of the premier 1/4 mile tracks in the country. The Sheik that owns Al-Anabi can afford to go to ANY track in the country - why do you think he picked SGMP? The top teams test their in the off season. Definitely #1.

for now, Valdosta is #1 on my list for the next East coast event.....for SURE.

The local police force(s) were beyond incredible. You would not be able to pull of the stuff we did elsewhere and there was not one bad incident. These guys were terrific. Doing what we did somewhere else would be like Ticketron...

And yes...we are chatting it up a whole lot...talking to tracks...getting info... We are working on it. I like the suggestions, though. I mean...dang...11 more pages for me to read...

We thank you for all the great suggestions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcamaros View Post
I might add a thought to the Camaro Fest discussion, events like Bike Week, Turkey Rod Run, Pigeon Forge, and Strugis have their events in the same location year after year at the same time of the year which allows these events to grow. People like consistency, you know what you are going to get. Its like going to your favorite eating spot. Just my 2 cents.
This does have a lot of merit. These events grow where others die because of the consistency. But C5Fest has to support the huge west coast presence too.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:54 AM   #328
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:

It was certainly intended PURELY as constructive criticism...

Tell you what...I'll personally take on (you can 'delegate' to me ). One thing that could greatly speed it up the entrance would be pre-pay. When it gets closer, just remember that I'll take this task on and figure out a way to make it work.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #329
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
I vote for Joliet!! Go C5G we don't have to commute!!!

I vote for Joliet!! Go C5G we don't have to commute!!!

Great track!!!!!!

Quote:
A few suggestions:

http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

Indianapolis, Indiana

http://www.midohio.com/

The Hot Rod Power Tour moved East of the Mississippi and the attendance grew dramatically. It has been so strong they are having a hard time getting back to the West Coast. Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania have a population base of 50 million. Add in New York and Jersey and you are over 70 million. Last I checked, the West Coast had only two states in the top 20 for population.

Mid Ohio is great track, but a bit isolated. Joliet is close to Chicago and lots to do in the area. People could plan a week vacation around a Joliet or Indy based C5Fest.
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #330
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblackcamaros View Post
Something else to consider is Valdosta was only the first one from the first less-than-a-year sales of Camaros. Sales continue to be strong and the numbers of people wanting (and willing to attend) a fest is going to grow. This means planning is going to become a very big factor not only for the mods here putting all this on, but also for those attending. The more people attending, the farther in advance you have to plan for vacation time, travel time, lodging, etc.

It might be worthwhile even at this early stage to consider that this will grow to the point where 3 "official" meets a year might be the regular schedule. A West Coast event that could move depending on what people want, an East Coast event that does the same thing, and a National event that does NOT move. The coast events could be 2 day events and would mostly pull those who aren't attending the national event although I'm sure there would be many who would do both.

The national event could be at a place like Topeka which could be a 4 day event so it's worth the drive to get there, and if the location doesn't change each year that would make it easier on the planners for the event, and for everyone else to plan for too. You might also get better deals with the venue, city, local establishments if you can tell them "yep we're coming back next year" so they too can plan in advance. You can be sure that the city council and merchants in Valdosta who had no idea exactly what to expect have been and still are talking about what they would do next year if the fest is held there again (which is why it would be a good location for the east coast event). If people like you and want you back, they'll roll out the red carpet for you next time.

So that might be a good strategy; movable coast events, and one non-moving national event. The national vendors like GM would of course be able to plan for the 4 day national event. Local vendors on the coasts could attend those 2 day events because it would be easier and less costly which fits the budget of smaller businesses.

In a couple of years the national event may very well be just huge with literally thousands of Camaros converging. As Scott said "we're not done yet" with the Camaro so with convertibles, probably a Z/28 and more and more people buying Camaros, the numbers are going to grow fast.

The only down-side is what does this do to the Camaro5 mods' lives? Unless I'm mistaken this is all volunteer at this point but is rapidly going to become a full-time job as this grows.

Lots to consider...and some people say it's "just a car" hehe

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #331
Mr Twisty

Visual aid (updated)
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 04-24-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #332
Mr Twisty

Quite a few of the picks have been road course only, no drag strip that I'm aware of... And I imagine you want 1320, not 1/8 mile.

The map above are 1/4 mile and road course choices, and some have gobs more, like skidpad

Need 1/4 mile drag strip
Need at least area for auto-x
Road course would be cool
Oval track not a very good idea.

Firebird at Phoenix looks first class.
Heartland at Topeka looks good too.
Vegas is top shelf facility.

Quote:
OK time for another Pedders Poll

A. Cross Country Cruise in a Convertible 5th Gen

OR

B. A night with

There are no toher choices. Pick A or B.
Top down cruise baby!

.....In the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
I'm not saying the facility isn't great, I was responding to a statement that just mentioned Kansas or Nebraska because it was central. It's definitely smack in the middle of the US, but the US population isn't. It's on the coasts and mostly the east coast. I don't think it will pull in these huge crowds from both coasts some are claiming, I think it will just make it too far for people on both coasts instead of one or the other and end up only drawing attendees from the middle. I could be wrong though.
Sturgis, SD. is a really small town.... 51 weeks a year
Quote:
A few suggestions:

http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/

Indianapolis, Indiana

http://www.midohio.com/

The Hot Rod Power Tour moved East of the Mississippi and the attendance grew dramatically. It has been so strong they are having a hard time getting back to the West Coast. Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania have a population base of 50 million. Add in New York and Jersey and you are over 70 million. Last I checked, the West Coast had only two states in the top 20 for population.

Mid Ohio is great track, but a bit isolated. Joliet is close to Chicago and lots to do in the area. People could plan a week vacation around a Joliet or Indy based C5Fest.
Got drag strip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I'll take it back when I see it for myself

So far I know I am right on the desert comment. Nothing but desert and straight roads all the way through Nevada and neighboring states.
Let me route the trip for you. By the time you get to Denver you'll be BEGGING for a straight stretch
Old 04-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #333
TRIXXTERR

Drives: 96 Z28(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
I VOTE TEXAS
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #334
Mr Twisty

Looks like Heartland uses the straight on their road course as return lane for drag strip. So.... No drag/road racing combo there :(

Firebird @ Phoenix looks more and more appealing.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 04-24-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #335
superstockcam

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstockcam View Post
The Reno Tahoe area is the middle point for the west for quite a few organized meets. Also there is 24 hr entertainment and as always the "other" attractions the area has to offer. It would be a day drive or less for anyone from AZ,NV,WA,OR,CO,UT,CA,and ID. "sorry,East CO, lower AZ and upper WA means a 15 + hr day" :(
The Hot August Nights classic car gathering has been doing it for 25 years this year, with an estimated 10,000 cars and an estimated 800,000 visitors to all the events combined over 10 days. In other words Reno can handle it.
Sadly our "local track 30 miles away from Reno" that was a sweet road course and drag strip closed, there is another drag strip 45 minutes from Reno in Fallon NV,
Old 04-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #336
Mr Twisty

Mid America Motorplex south of Council Bluffs, Ia. looks pretty good.
2 day drive or less from anywhere in the country.

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 04-24-2010 at 07:12 PM.

Closed Thread