Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #71
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
It will flex under high speed.
It will scratch from everyday use.
Great product for a race car.
did you read the whole thread, or at least watched the video?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #72
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
did you read the whole thread, or at least watched the video?
I don't think he did.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #73
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Let us know what he says. Even though they're 250x stronger for impact, the air pressure at 180 mph is so great it might cause it to flex and bend enough to pull it loose from the glue (windshields are glued to the car normally).
I talked to Aaron I believe... But anyway he said that 3/16 will start to bend inward around 150-160 but it's not going to cave in. They advise bracing at that speed to maintain aerodynamics. He also said a very light bracing is all that is needed. I may look into a removable brace. He also said that the 1/4 inch wouldn't have a problem without bracing. He also mentioned that they can be tinted 35% or 18% from Optic Armor and the tint is internal and that aftermarket tint might not stick well or long because of a silicone like film that is on the Poly Carbonate windows.
I'm interested in these windows but I'm not currently in a position to get them. I also don't want a permanent brace in the car. I'll look into purchasing all but the rear in glass in 2 or so months.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #74
battlekat

Drives: the red dragon
I'm in if they can also tint it for the HUD along with the factory-like tint.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
I talked to Aaron I believe... But anyway he said that 3/16 will start to bend inward around 150-160 but it's not going to cave in. They advise bracing at that speed to maintain aerodynamics. He also said a very light bracing is all that is needed. I may look into a removable brace. He also said that the 1/4 inch wouldn't have a problem without bracing. He also mentioned that they can be tinted 35% or 18% from Optic Armor and the tint is internal and that aftermarket tint might not stick well or long because of a silicone like film that is on the Poly Carbonate windows.
I'm interested in these windows but I'm not currently in a position to get them. I also don't want a permanent brace in the car. I'll look into purchasing all but the rear in glass in 2 or so months.
That's good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlekat View Post
I'm in if they can also tint it for the HUD along with the factory-like tint.
I'll count you in unless they say otherwise on the HUD. They do say it will work with their existing windows but not be as bright. Maybe they can do a HUD tint.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #76
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
okay this confuses me, it will start to bend inwards at 150-160? how about the factory glass? Im asking because what was the whole deal with the 250 times stronger. Or maybe its 250 times tougher than glass but not stronger?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #77
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
250 times stronger as in it would take at least 250 times more force for the optic armor to break/crack/snap/shatter

Not referring to stiffness. The optic armor can flex when its not installed, factory glass cannot (it would break).
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 AM   #78
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
That's good to know, thanks!

I'll count you in unless they say otherwise on the HUD. They do say it will work with their existing windows but not be as bright. Maybe they can do a HUD tint.
That does concern me about what cyber predator found out. If I can't tint it then the HUD may not work right. Need more info from optic armor
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #79
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
250 times stronger as in it would take at least 250 times more force for the optic armor to break/crack/snap/shatter

Not referring to stiffness. The optic armor can flex when its not installed, factory glass cannot (it would break).
What Justin said
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #80
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I've asked Jim to have someone come in to the thread and give us the official info on the concerns that have been posted. Hopefully we'll get answers soon!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #81
OPTIC_ARMOR

Drives: gmc sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
okay this confuses me, it will start to bend inwards at 150-160? how about the factory glass? Im asking because what was the whole deal with the 250 times stronger. Or maybe its 250 times tougher than glass but not stronger?
Polycarbonate by nature is flexible and shatter resistant. You can bend it over itself and it will not break. You can also beat on it all day long with a sledgehammer and it will not break. Air has mass and 150-160mph it has alot of mass. The window will not "cave-in" at these speeds but will flex somewhat. We have customers in 10.5 outlaw cars running 200mph with our windows with no problems. So with a 3/16" formed front window unless you are routinely seeing speeds in excess of 160mph this is not an issue whatsoever. Hope this helps. thanks for your interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanur420 View Post
would it be possible or even wise to go down to 1/8th all around? I know standard is 3/16 but if its stronger maybe go down to the 1/8th? i dont know
we do not recommend 1/8" on the front due to the likely hood of the window flexing in at speed, unless it is braced.

Quote:
Yeah there would be a 1/16" gap on the quarter panel windows, and I don't know if the door windows would seal properly when closed if they're 1/16" thinner than stock. But it depends on what your main use of the car is. I don't know the weight difference between the 3/16 and 1/8 optic glass; wish I did but considering how little their 3/16 glass weighs, I can't imagine it would make that much difference compared to the gap issue. If you're building basically a track-only car, then go with 3/16 front and 1/8 everything else. Otherwise it's probably better to stick with 3/16 to avoid gap issues IMO.
+1
OPTIC_ARMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #82
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Ok good news! Got the go-ahead from Jim to post this:

"We are going to go ahead and extend the discount to anyone who calls in and says they seen the windows on camaro 5. I noticed there are a few guys that are getting impatient, so if they are ready to buy tell them to give me a call at ext 11. Make sure they ask for Jim to get the discount! Thanks again!"

This means we can start ordering for anyone who's ready!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #83
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I guess it would help if I put the phone number up:

Call 573-317-9066 ext 11. That's Jim's extension and tell him you're from the Camaro5 group buy.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #84
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I just called Jim and put in my order. He said the door and quarter windows are NOT drop in; they require cutting to fit. He said any race shop that deals with race bodies will easily be able to cut, fit and install them. The front window is drop-in ready.

Once I get these here I'll weigh each piece and put that info in my project thread. I'll also find a local race shop to do the install and document how that process goes. After they remove the factory glass I'll be able to weigh those pieces so we'll have exact weights for both factory and Optic Armor glass.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM